my sheddy exclusive

alan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed a few hours in the garage yesterday and thought i would post the picks of my progress.Some how i managed to fit a door and mock op the front end ready for the nose cone to be welded on,another reason for mocking up was i needed to replace a large section of bonnet landing strip as most of it had turned to dust.All the return flanges on the front end a repaired now so come monday i can start welding it all together.I now have only the rear part of the sills,part of the nearside inner sill,the lower rear panel and rear edge of the boot floor to repair now.I am hoping to have this all done within the next six weeks then it will be on with the filler.

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

Hopefully i have go the hang of this image posting now,hope so cheers al

• 1 month later...

Well its update time again ,its been a few weeks and i have been hard at it in the cold of my garage.Over the last few weeks i have replaced the lower rear panel,repaired the boot floor,repaired the corners that the boot seal fits on to,removed the spoiler corners to repair where they bolt through and rot outwards.And now on to the sills.I left these while last as it had had skin sills fitted before i bought it and was not sure how badly they had been fitted.As you will see from the photos the inner sills had rotted about 1" upward and inward including the inner bracing section.I got the idea from snowys cav project thread to just drill out the spot welds and work out wards and find this the best option,it looks as if it could be hard to remove but just takes 10 min with a good spot weld drill.DSC00459.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

any how hope you enjoy keep up the good work everyone al.

I got the idea from snowys cav project thread to just drill out the spot welds and work out wards and find this the best option,it looks as if it could be hard to remove but just takes 10 min with a good spot weld drill.

Glad i could help. Not sure why i see so many mantas/cavs with the rear inner sill bodged by people trying to weld patches on when this panel is so easy to remove. :blink:

2 sills to fit.Ive just finished the inner sill on the near side and same to do on the off side, once i have fitted the outer sill back on the near side.Then front wings to repair,windscreen out for scuttle repair and on with the filler.Hopefully 8 weeks to paint stage.

2 sills to fit.Ive just finished the inner sill on the near side and same to do on the off side, once i have fitted the outer sill back on the near side.Then front wings to repair,windscreen out for scuttle repair and on with the filler.Hopefully 8 weeks to paint stage.

theres a good few hours work there good luck with it all be good to see when finished

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst most would stare with amazement I can at least feel some empathy with you.

Yours is pretty much the same condition as we started with and if you need any inspiration then give us a shout.

Good luck with it all Looks like you intend to make a truly solid one again

Jay n Suz

thanks for the inspiration guys,as i need it at the mo.Major balls up last week with the sills.I fitted the near side and broke my own golden rule, not offering up the door up for a trile fitting as i was by my self.Result is the door over hangs over the sill.Looks like its going to have to come back off.I have a mate who is coming round who was a classic car restorer who is going to give me some help before it comes to chopping it off.Wish me luck.

thanks for the inspiration guys,as i need it at the mo.Major balls up last week with the sills.I fitted the near side and broke my own golden rule, not offering up the door up for a trile fitting as i was by my self.Result is the door over hangs over the sill.Looks like its going to have to come back off.I have a mate who is coming round who was a classic car restorer who is going to give me some help before it comes to chopping it off.Wish me luck.

thats all you need alan you think you are getting somewere and after the hard work you find out your not hope you get it all sorted good luck :) matt

• 5 weeks later...

Well guys made a major mile stone this week.All the major welding on the main body finnished at last :lol: .Its taken over a year and finally there,the balls up the other week with the sills was rectified with the use of a rather large hammer and a bit of brute force.My friend the car restorer had it sorted in 10 min.The off side sill i did this week and had the door on and off a least 5 times,i cant stress to any one how much this helps if you are about to do sills for the first time.As you will see from the following photos this side was as bad as the other in the rott departmentDSC00599.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

I can't believe that these sills were replaced 2 years ago,Just goes to show how much you need a decent cavity wax

DSC00600.jpg

Nice to see it out in the day light after a year in the garage,seems to be coming together now thank fully.

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

I am just glad too see it out in the open so i can tidy out the garage,see you soon al

Well guys made a major mile stone this week.All the major welding on the main body finnished at last :lol: .Its taken over a year and finally there,the balls up the other week with the sills was rectified with the use of a rather large hammer and a bit of brute force.My friend the car restorer had it sorted in 10 min.The off side sill i did this week and had the door on and off a least 5 times,i cant stress to any one how much this helps if you are about to do sills for the first time.As you will see from the following photos this side was as bad as the other in the rott departmentDSC00599.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

I can't believe that these sills were replaced 2 years ago,Just goes to show how much you need a decent cavity wax

DSC00600.jpg

Nice to see it out in the day light after a year in the garage,seems to be coming together now thank fully.

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

I am just glad too see it out in the open so i can tidy out the garage,see you soon al

good to hear its coming on allan looks like they was some majour work there, is it the body shop for you next be good to see it when its done keep up the good work.matt

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys time for an up date,all sills finnished back arches prepped and primed,only needed a new set of wings to go on but missed out on some on e bay.There was only one thing for it,repair the old.I have been reading practical classics for a while and been watching there how to guides,so decided to have a go.I cheated a bit and had my friend the car restorer help make up the wing bottoms and went from there.The way i looked at it was the wings where buggerd so it was a learning curve.Its was not as hard as i thought just needed to offer up lots of times.

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00660.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

Also any one like the new planter in the garden

DSC00668-1.jpg

Its been there that long its becoming at one with its surroundings.Hope you like the update al.