Decided to bite the bullet

some other members may recognise my user name from another forum, the SXOC.

my real name is Tony.

I know another new member just rejoined "petrol" I like him have just aquired a Manta, tho his is some what cleaner than mine.

I am racing my SX200 S13 this year and have been spending the winter preparing it (more like restoration) http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=336680

I work in a scrapyard and last week aquired this 88k on the clock

manta5.jpg

manta4.jpg

manta3.jpg

manta2.jpg

manta1.jpg

It has all the skirts, spats and twin headlight units, I tried starting it today and nothing, so got my work cut out, I have decided to take about 2 years restoring the car.

does anyone recognise the partial registration show and know of any history ?

Hi muttley . Welcome to the Mad MANTA House !

Tho' you've got your work cut out on your newly

acquired F'reg Manta It looks like it could be a real stunner .

Give it all you've got ......It'll be worth it ..

I have six older brothers , when I was a kid my Mum's

nick-name for me was ' Precious ' so guess what the

rest of the Family called me ...........Yep, MUTTLEY....!

In fact to this day.....40 yrs on .......they still call me it ..

Welcome .............Its a good name ...medal,medal,medal...heee,heee, heee

Welcome to the forum. You've clearly got a bit of work on there but it's the car everybody wants Manta wise (a Monaco Blue Exclusive coupé) so it will be worthwhile I'm sure.

If it has all the necessary requirements to start (fuel, compression and sparks), the CIH engine will usually go however tired it is. If it won't fire up and you've got fuel and compression there, the ignition module by the coil is a favourite starting point.

Cheers,

Joe.

I have been smitten by the Manta for many many years, since I drove one for a friend of mine back in the '80 (now showing my age ) he got done for D&D so I was his driver, too young then to be able to afford one, but always promised myself one, one day. well that day has come, as soon as I saw this I TOLD my boss, Theres NO WAY you are going to crush that IT'S MINE! and he let me have it, I know how much he paid for the scrap value, just got to see how much he wants off me (won't be a lot tho).

I'll keep the project threads updated of the progress :thumbup

Hello Tony, Nice to see another friendly face in here

I'll leave you to work out who I am from the SXOC Theres quite a few of us infiltrating this place now LOL :thumbup

Welcome to the OMOC discussion forum Muttley.

Been driving an S13 for the last few years myself until a lorry modified it for me the other week, and wrote it off.

Must say the S13 drives very much like the Manta, except the S13 has power, and the S13 has a bit of weight over the arse end of the car that the Manta doesn't.

That Manta you have there does look to be a reasonably straight car from the pics, just hope there is not too much corrosion on it, the later Manta's were particularly prone to corrosion over the pre-83 Manta's

Look forward to seeing the work in progress on this, and I should have a little topic on the go soon that you may be interested in, and may poss post the same topic up on the SXOC too.

Welcome Muttley :thumbup

Hello Tony, Nice to see another friendly face in here

I'll leave you to work out who I am from the SXOC Theres quite a few of us infiltrating this place now LOL

Welcome to the OMOC discussion forum Muttley.

Been driving an S13 for the last few years myself until a lorry modified it for me the other week, and wrote it off.

Must say the S13 drives very much like the Manta, except the S13 has power, and the S13 has a bit of weight over the arse end of the car that the Manta doesn't.

That Manta you have there does look to be a reasonably straight car from the pics, just hope there is not too much corrosion on it, the later Manta's were particularly prone to corrosion over the pre-83 Manta's

Look forward to seeing the work in progress on this, and I should have a little topic on the go soon that you may be interested in, and may poss post the same topic up on the SXOC too.

Welcome Muttley :thumbup

Thanks, from first impressions I was thinking Oh my gawd, what have i taken on, but having another quick look today, I think it might not be as bad as I first thought, dryish stored for the last 3 years and not started in that time either..

Welcome to the converted mate

Manta looks like a good project, those rims on that bmw e34 behind it look interesting, hmmmm any pics

Cheers

Kev

Updated :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

There'll be nothing wrong with an 88,000 mile engine, mine is good and strong at 130,000. If you're not phased by a bit of rust then you'll have a cracking car. Its not super rare but it is pretty desirable. If you like the look of it just wait til you drive it. Not super quick or anything, just has a great feel to it.

My dad has a 200sx, H plate only got about 50k on the clock, original turbo, mint hatch, superchipped, lowered and on 16" momo ferrari alloys. All that was done at least 10 years ago when 16" alloys were considered big!

Just looked at your thread about the 200sx. Nice. Hope you enjoyed the floor welding because it will be a similar cenario for the manta. Bit of a pain but nothing drastic.

Im a big fan of the breakers yards, Roger Windley is my local big one, hundreds of cars and you can still walk round with your toolbox. Have got no end from different cars to improve the manta over the years.

Pleased to see you're blessed with a large undercover bit of storage.