Paulmanta's Blue V8 Coupe project.

paulmanta

I have just bought another Manta, I have known of this car for about ten years as it was owned by a very good friend of mine, It was built over a few years and i lent a hand where i could, I learnt a lot of my Manta knowledge on this car and Its previous owner taught me a lot of trade tricks and workshop practise. He is off to France to live now and for various reasons decided he needed to sell the car, at first i tried to persuade him to keep it as it really was his love but due to Frances laws on changing engines he was sort of stuck. He very kindly gave me first offer which i then took after a few days thinking and fund raising (loan basically) and I picked the car up this evening.

I am going to treat it as one of my "keeper" cars (the Ascona and my white coupe are the same category) as it has a lot of history with me and its builder, many a long weekend was spent in the garage building and finishing this car. Any modifications i do to try and improve or update the car will be strictly to the original spirit of its build and general theme.

The Car needs very little except a good clean and a few little bits sorted.

I will get a report going once i have had a good look around it and prepped it for MoT, which given my excitement levels is going to be VERY soon.

Meanwhile, Thanks Graham, you are a good mate and i WILL bring the car to see you in France, I am really going to miss you when I know you are not just up the road !!

meanwhile a pic :

V8Side.jpg

Edit: just wrote what i wanted to write last night but couldnt get it to read how i wanted !!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul.

You must have a direct line to the elusive Fairy-Manta. lol [:D]

That look's absolutely the dogs boondocks mate.

whats the body kit on it...? The front bumper is ace with them lights tucked away inside.

Any chance of posting up a mpeg file

of it running ..............bet it sounds awesome .[^][^][^]

The interior is leather and is in need of a bit of a tighten up, take the slack out of the seats and maybe alter the door cards a little so they are a mix of carpet and leather, they are a bit too cream as they are and i keep getting foot dirt on the lower section when i get in and out in the workshop,

Thinking about blue floor carpet as well, I saw cream seats and blue carpet in an Aston recently andit looked the business,

The Auto box is likely to changed for a 5 speed manual, and i am putting my Billet MSD dizzy and multi spark/rev limiter unit in.

I took it for a little hoon about on the industrial estate and it is a beast, really quick, the rumble is spot on.

I have a set of 400 mirrors to go on it, one piece twin lights as well, possibly get hold of some Angel eye lamps too..

MoT and tax.

And enjoy !!

Too bad we have had Billing....

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

No wonder I never see Mantas. They're all in Penzance.

edit: maybe need lowering ?

OMOC 5885

Life is a waste of Time

Time a waste of Life

Get wasted all the Time

And you'll have the time of your life

Too much money and space is what it is.

His lorries will be on ebay soon to fund his 20 a year habit [:P][;)]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

The Blue is a Ford blue, going to find out exactly what shade soon as i want to have one or two small scratches sorted out.

I am planning to do a few small bits to it, nothing major just little bits like the mirrors, some opel2000 parts will no doubt go on it in time, washer bottle, sleeve for wiper motor, that sort o thing.

bigger jobs can wait till winter, i want to use this car for the rest of the "summer"

I washed and polished the car as well today, it gleams like its brand new and it is now in the heated garage under a cover.

Very keen to get this car legal and in use this week, Its beautiful and means a lot to me to have it in my collection.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

quote:Originally posted by paulmanta

opel2000 parts will no doubt go on it in time, washer bottle, sleeve for wiper motor, that sort o thing.

id="quote">id="quote">

How does the engine bay look now? More importantly what are the engine specs?[:P]

banner.jpg

CHECKOUT MY NEW V8 VIDEO HERE http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djuq2xoCp1E

I will be going and playing with it tonight, will get a lot of new pics and upload them.

3.5 with a Edelbrock 500cfm and an Offenhauser 360 inlet manifold, Crane 216 cam and range rover heads, fully re-built with new pistons etc.

[:D]

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

quote:Originally posted by paulmanta

will get a lot of new pics and upload them.

id="quote">id="quote">

Cool [8D] can't wait. Similar to your now surplus engine then, just a bit bigger here and there[:D] and I'm guessing you'll be using the manual box off of it?!

banner.jpg

I really cannot buy any more Mantas !!!

no really.............

Anyway, more pics, this time the engine, which is the exact same spec as the one i was going to put in my V8 project car, right down to the carb/cam, etc, only difference is my engine is black.

Whoever buys my engine is getting a basically brand new engine.

The new dials, made by Clive (opel2000)

CIMG0933.jpg

The engine bay :

CIMG0929.jpg

I put the new dials in tonight and had a fiddle with taking the old stereo out to put my Pioneer headunit in and 6 disc multiplayer, had a good pre MoT look around and found a bad earth on the back light. pretty much it so far.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

Blimey, what a nice looking engine bay. Will look even better with some Clive items to go with the dials.. Sorry I forgot your rebuild V8 was a 3.9 not a 3.5, doh! I'm actually interested in the weber carb, inlet, low air filter and camshaft, but I rekon you'd be better selling it complete. I'd love the whole engine for me 'sen but as with most money issues don't allow [:(] Mind you seeing V8 mantas like this just make me want to do better with what I've got.

How's the engine sitting so low? I couldn't avoid having to cut holes in my bonnet so it would close and my sump is cut down thinner than a slice of sandwich ham!!

All the best with the MOT prep, just make sure the tester doesn't dribble all over it[:D]

banner.jpg

re-built engine is a 3.5, i posted wrongly it was a 3.9 then edited it. its got the range rover head of the bigger engine though.

The engine is low due to the amount of sump re-making and the fact we shaved the top of the crossmember and fitted SD1 engine mounts to the crossmember. same set up as my project has. even with a big pancake air filter there is still about an inch of clearance.

The MoT was ok, it failed on brake (O/S front) binding no side repeaters, and the headlight aim too high. Fixing this lot tomorrow and re-test monday.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg