Paulmanta's Blue V8 Coupe project.

paulmanta

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmm

Now if that was mine I would be going to Custom Solutions for.....

One of his new Expansion tanks to sit on the inner wing of the Manta

A washer Bottle

A wiper sleeve

A better rad tray

Possible brake fluid Res, or at least a cover.

A battery cover/box

A servo area plate.

Then I would cahange the colour of the plug leads, to either black or red, polish up the rocker covers, paint the heads black and that would possibly about do it. [8D][:D][:D][8D][8D]

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

quote:Originally posted by paulmanta

I really cannot buy any more Mantas !!!

no really.............

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

isn't that what you said before you got the Ascona....?

OMOC 5885

Life is a waste of Time

Time a waste of Life

Get wasted all the Time

And you'll have the time of your life

• 2 weeks later...

Mot passed !! the Tester failed it on a binding brake caliper, the headlights being out of adjustment (too low) and not having side repeaters !!

I have put the Calibra calipers off the A series project on the car with green stuff pads, seem to work well !! done the headlight aim, that was easy, but the side repeaters needed thinking about.

So i went scrapyarding...........and found a pair of mk3 golf side repeaters which i then cut up, i removed the orange lens and drilled a small disc from the lens, i then drilled an exact size hole in the B piller trim and put the little round bit of orange lens in them

I then glued the rest of the golf bits, bulb holder and black plastic backing onto the rear of the trim to line up with the recess that is for ventilation behind the trim. I wired the repeaters to the rear lights after running new cable over the arches and into the boot, result, passed MOT.

[:)][8D]

Insurance quotes: the best i have had so far has been fuly comp agreed value with Adrian Flux for £231.00 for twelve months, didnt sound bad really.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

I have to agree about the engine bay. Will look much better once you have colour coded everything. My engine bay is gonna be silver and black. Only too often I see cars with red rockers, yellow plugs, blue air filter etc etc.

Also why do you see so many red cars with yellow brake calipers??? paint them red to match the car for f***s sake! Sorry rant over [:D] Cool car though.

quote:Originally posted by h0tr0dder_uk

Only too often I see cars with red rockers, yellow plugs, blue air filter etc etc.

id="quote">id="quote">

[:I][:I][:I]

By the by. With side repeaters, don't forget you can mount them to the door mirrors with a bit of experimentation. The wiring would be very easy and more importantly it'll save having to drill into any otherwise perfect wings.

banner.jpg

CHECKOUT MY NEW V8 VIDEO HERE http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djuq2xoCp1E

Done a bit more this weekend, Got the MSD billet Distributor fitted also put the MSD6T and rev limiter on, put the new Moroso plug leads on too and swopped the red rocker covers for the black/silver ones from my other V8, Its all looking a lot less "colourful" now the new leads are black as is the MSD ignition and the dizzy is obviously silver with a nice red cap with a lead retaining ring on top, it looks quite business like !

Also here is a pic of the side repeater mod, its works a treat and passed the MoT:

Bpostrep.jpg

(that is lit by the way, its less orange and not very noticable when its not lit, it was a swine to take that pic, every time i took the shot when it was on and then looked at it the damn thing was not lit up, flashing light......mutter)

I have been playing with some other small bits like the stereo and am likely to remove the reat window and make a nice MDF shelf to put the 6X9s in, plus a load of dynamat, it works in the Ascona, so I intend to do it again.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

Have done a biy more to the engine bay in a quiet half hour this afternoon, i have fitted a stainless rad tray, (I copied the one that was already on the car) this now shiny panel hides all the headlamp relays, I also got most of the new Moroso plug leads cut to size and fitting a little better, i now need to do a bit of fancy routing to tidy it all up, Its gradually coming together as i see it in my head.

am off to do bit more this eve.

msdbay.jpg

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

Thanks for that !! [:)]

I have got it all timed up now and am in the process of buying a set of nice deep dish alloys for it too, next problem is how to get the rev counter to work with the new MSD boxes.

hopefully when you guys come down next time we will have an evening in the pub as well. [8D]

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

most msd systems have a tach output terminal so it should be easy. you can download instruction from their website.

I agree about putting deep dish alloys on the car as well - they seem to suit mantas so much better that the modern flat frotn wheel drive style of wheel.

• 3 months later...

Well I have not updated this for a while !

The problem with the MSD control box not telling the rev counter what was going on was solved by putting a modified rev counter in the dash, this has had the filters removed and a couple of bigger resistors soldered in to halve the signal from the MSD box.

I have done loads of little odds and sods to it including fitting 400 style mirrors, put the proper blanks in where the old mirrors went and at the same time sorted out the window alignment.

The interior has been stripped out and a standard GTE exclusive one put in for the time being, the leather was nice but the trim job was not perfect and it needs new door cards done and the front seats had been re-cushioned and my head rubbed the roof everytime i drove the car.

The biggest hassle of all has been the wheels, I decided that i fancied Borbet A's on the car in black and silver with a nice deep dish and wide low profile, i found two pairs on ebay Germany one pair brand new and the other from a different seller second hand but mint, after a lot of stress making sure i won both pairs i then had them re-sprayed as they were all silver before and one of them had a few light scuffs.

The next issue was the wheels needed new tyres, I went on ebay again and ended up buing a set of 4 Falkens from the most helpful seller i have ever come across (link to his auctions in spare part supplier section) once i fitted the tyres to the rims i then needed to make some plain flat centre caps for them complete with locking bolt hole and lug holes for the opel badges i wanted to use, these were made from a block of billet alloy i ordered machined out with proper returns on the inside and a nice flush hole for the locking bolt.

Next was the making of the spacers for the hubs, I wanted to sit the wheels as far out as I could so the front spacers ended up as 11mm and the rears at 15mm, the spacers were made to be centred on the hub on the axles/front hub and also flanged to fit the wheels, this was really tricky because of the angles for the wheel recess and also the fact that the car has discs on the back, the centre hole of the discs had to be enlarged so the spacer holds the disc and locates it as well as butting up against the halfshaft hub flange.

Next was to try and find a supplier for the longer wheel studs, these are essential because after the spacers were fitted i could not actually fit the nuts onto any of the threads on the standard studs !! I found that the standard studs are only about 40mm long, i needed to fit 63mm long studs to make it all fit and work as it should.

The result is the wheels fit the arches and do the bodykit justice. Pics will follow of the car once i get it out of the workshop again after changing the auto box to manual. Possibly just after christmas weather permitting.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

The Leather back in, Not sure to be honest. I liked it but it is not me or my style. Maybe if i could tone it down a bit, retrim the door card so they had black carpet and some cloth as well as cream leather, also re-pad the seat so they were not so high, i think the trimmer put extra foam in to make them look bigger.

I have sold the wheels that were on it originally and as soon as i fit the wheels and studs and brakes back on i will drive it out of the workshop and take some pics.

meanwhile the spacers in all their glory, so tempted to get them anodised you know !

spacers.jpg

One of the other things I have done to the car is to overhaul all the rear brakes which has brought to my attention the need for a brake bias valve instead of the standard valve block thing that lives on the inner wing, I expect this to be full of hassle, hard to get right and expensive. This means i am certain to do it.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

Hi Paul;

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Like the spacers to [:D].

Starter for 10, showed the picture to the other half (who thinks i am sad about Manta's) and she actually thought it look stunning. Now have an excuse in the new year to tell her about the next project.... lol

John

I still have over half of the ruddy great lump of billet i bought to do these spacers so i will be able to do more in future.

The weather down here is uttery incredible, wind and rain and freezing cold, sod going anywhere today. I am going to move the manta bits in the loft around a bit and make a big noise and wind the wife up.

[:D]

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

Hi Paul,

Hadn't been in here in a while so didn't see this[:o)]Love the project! and also the quality of work being carried out on it[^]

Re: 'the ruddy great lump of billet ally left over'-ever thought of doing front hubs in ally[?] Just was having a good look over mine the other day and started thinking hmmm.....? Maybe they would need to be made from a higher grade ally (aircraft?)Just a thought anyway. If you want to donate a lump of that ally i'll give it a go![:D]

Keep up the good work,

Enda.

Loopy.jpg

OMOC 6052

The home of OMOC on the island....

http://www.vxopel.com