New member needing help.

Hi guys, my name is Kenny (incase you hadn't guessed from my login name ) and i live in Northern Ireland. I don't have a manta just yet but i should very soon, i have a suzuki gsxr 600 at the moment.

this probably isn't the place for this but i'll give it a go anyway. The car i'm trying to buy is a restoration project which doesn't have an engine or gearbox and it's in swansea. I have contacted several haulage companies to try and get it moved, out of approximatly 10 companies only 2 are willing to move the car (the others won't lift "non-runners"). One of the two compaines wants £740+ VAT which is just rediculous and the other comapny Will lift the car for £350 all in. I can live with that price, but they need a V5 in my name to lift the car OR a letter from the owner stating that he is selling the car to me. to say that i'm not plesed with this is an understatement but i can see their reasons or doing so.

Does anyone know numbers for other car transporter/ hauliers? I want to get this car bought and delivered asap. Thanks for thaking the time to read this essay :thumbup Do i get a prize for the longest into ever? Pretty please?

I know where you can hire a car transporter for £40 a day . You may have probs getting a company to lift a non runner.

yeah that is an option, the ferrys aren't (too) expensive, i'm not giving up hope yet, i'll need to get a lend of your car though because i can't tow a car transporter on a bike. i know a manta with no engine and box will be light but come off it lol. Thanks for your help :thumbup

the other comapny Will lift the car for £350 all in. I can live with that price, but they need a V5 in my name to lift the car OR a letter from the owner stating that he is selling the car to me

So if you can live with that price just get the V5 in your name or a letter from the seller, Job done surely

So if you can live with that price just get the V5 in your name or a letter from the seller, Job done surely

hopefully, the seller is a member on here (just found out tonight) i tried phoning him to explain the situation nut got no answer so i sent him an email and he may spot this thread as well.

Aye, Chris is a member alright and a decent guy too by all accounts.

Getting a V5 in your name is made a bit more awkward as chris will have to tell swansea he has exported the car (and send you the rest of the V5), you'll have to fill in a first registration in NI form and from memory they will want you to tax it at the same time (gonna be a problem alright). Dont know what youre supposed to do in this case mind :hair

Hi Kenny we were at Chris's place on saturday to pick up an engine.boys you will enjoy the views getting to him

We got of the ferry around 11 and got to chris around 3.30 though we did stop for lunch. your best bet it to hire a transporter for the weekend usually cheaper that way and just head from dublin to holyhead and drive down.

Mantadoc - I think export is needed (or at least it was), I live in NI and have brought back multiple cars (yes, some mantas too ) , You're right it is part of the UK but currently run on a different system, Swansea issue all V5's for the mainland but will NOT issue a V5 for NI addresses, this has to be issued by Coleraine.

In order to register a car for the first time in NI you need the V5 (or again at least you did).

I know they were looking at changing this and may well have done it, last car I brought back was the wifes MR2 about 6 months ago. They want to change it coz its a loophole where you can actually have the car here not registered to you if you buy it in england with tax and MOT (great for speed cameras ).

Just check it out before you do anything

You just keep the complete V5 , it does not get sent to swansea, you then take the V5 along with a completed V55/5 form along with a current insurance cert and vehicle test cert to the local licensing office like Armagh, Coleraine etc.

You will also need documentation confirming your name and address.

ie photo ID to get the car registered

I have moved mine before (when i bought it) by hiring a transporter trailer for £35 for the day, it was towed by a 2 litre vectra. If you can find a trailer locally you could always hire a van with a towbar to pull it, a transit tipper usually has a towbar and can be hired for under £100 per day.