I feel a project coming on

opel2000

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats one hell of a long gearbox

I'm sure i've seen/heard of a nissan engine in RWD with a different gearbox on it, can't for the life of me remember where or what though

But as you say it would still leave the issue of the wiring and all the electronics side of things.

Are you going to run the XE on injection or maybe bike carbs??

• 8 months later...

Well got a bit of an update here.

With being out of work, I have at last found a bit of time to get back on with this.

Before the winter hit though I managed to get the roof sealed up to the body and blend in the A and C pillars and re-fit all the window and screen seals.

Glass has all got to come back out at some stage for the respray.

Got the bad chassis rail welded up, still got some minor welding around this area towards the jacking point.

Washer bottle area welded up (b****rd area to do) and inner wings/engine bay area is pretty much prepped ready for spraying.

But this week saw me getting stuck back into the car big time.

I had 2 good doors lying around ready to replace the bad ones on the car, these have been stripped back to bare metal and are currently in the process of being primed.

I had 2 pattern wings stripped and primed ready to put on this, but as cash got scarce I Ebayed these, and decided to use the 2 genuine items I had, unforunately it seems that the pattern wings were in far superior condition to the genuine items. But the wings are now primed ready for the top coat.

Front bumper was an old Exclusive item I bought off of Ebay years ago, which was absolutely dire, and I got absolutely robbed when I bought this as the metal bracket was not attached to the ABS "ANYWHERE" :angry: Anyway bumper has been repaired and currrently close to finishing off the huge amount of preparation on this.

So basically i have simply got some prep work on the whole car then fit an engine and box and interior......... Hmmmmm

Its always the small bits that take the time though.

Will update this as work progresses

Good to see you are getting stuck in Clive ..

I've been lacking motivation recently ,

Last Weds it arrived back in the shape of a Berlinetta... :wub: ....

Promised myself not to touch it till the 2.4 Auto project is complete . ..................... :rolleyes:

I must exercise some strict self-discipline ( that'll be a first for me then, !!!! )

Best of luck with it Bud.

Betty.... :)

Heck Kev.... Just went and bought my top coat, thinners, activator, panel wipe, rest of primer and it's activator and some other stuff yesterday afternoon :(

Then went to carry on painting and the Ba****d compressor decides to go down on me (not in the Biblical sense :lol: ) but the Damn Thing decides to take approx half hour to fill a 25 litre res, and when using 45psi it decides to not retain the pressure but simply empties itself :angry:

Machine Mart said they can service/repair it for half the cost of a new one,,,,,, hmm, may just go and get a new better one?

On the other side of things, I was looking over the car yesterday afternoon, and come to the conclusion that "IT Needs a lot more prep than I first thought"

Lots of surface rusty bits here and there, and lots of thick unknown paint on the rear quarters and roof.

Oh and would have liked to have fitted a power roof as per that brilliant thread you put up a while back Kev, but the roof on this car had already been replaced by a solid roof by the person that supplied me with the vehicle.

Thanks for comments fella's

Manta88, I use Hex Holdings for my paint, quite a friendly bunch and are good with advice if needed.

Anyway with the fact that I was trying to get the roof of the car done before this spell of decent weather breaks, it did get a little rushed, and didn't actually realise just how many dings were in the roof until the gloss went on.

But there is one I put in myself with the base of the paint pot . . . . Doh!

Here's a pic

roof%20fin%202.jpg

Clive .. When you said you were doing the Red-Top I thought you meant the Engine ... Doh .. :lol:

Coming on a treat , that'll sparkle when its mopped up . arches look pukka ...

Make hay as the sun-shines bud, the weather seems ok for the whole week too . B) .. B) .... B)

Looking forward to drooling over it at Billing ........ Cool2.jpg

TBH Betty, I can't see too much drooling being done over this vehicle when finished. Really I needed to spend another day on the roof, and I'm working with very very bad used panels, couple that with the fact my filling is absolute 5hite at the best of times. AND I'll not be in the position to add any shiney bits under the bonnet. :(

Really don't know what to do engine wise, as it is all coming down to cost at the moment. I do have a 1.8 box mounts and half a steel sump welded up, and can easily cobble up a manifold and down pipes for an XE for not a lot of money.

love the v8 mate if only i had the talent bet you sit back and think wow what a beast good luck with the next one

Er well I would have been sitting back enjoying the car but when I had to kick the wife out for running up £40,000 of debt behind my back (yes forty thousand pounds) I found myself in the position where I had to sell the car to raise a bit of cash.

Thanks for comments though, it was a damn nice car and those frigging rear lights took me ages to research, design and make.