I feel a project coming on

opel2000

Well a bit of an update....

This pic is a week or so old now, as I have been tied up dealing with crap and sorting out closing down my factory unit and getting the house on the market etc.

hmm.jpg

Basically I had to clear the spare room out which meant I had to fit the interior, so all glass, door and window seals were fitted, new doors fitted, wings fitted into place.

Half the engine bay has been painted.

Thankless task of getting the front bumper prepped ready for spraying is almost complete. The BAST that sold me this piece of crap bumper got my first Negative feedback on Ebay (robbing thieving lying prcik) full of stone chips, it looks like someone used to throw bricks at it, layers of crap paint, steel bracket un-attached, etc.etc. et bleeding cetera.

Wings still need some hammerite and underseal on them yet.

doors still need work on them as the channel gides have the felt lining missing and they need dismantling again to fit this along with getting the glass aligned AGAIN.

Then I've got the horror task of getting the Englemans fitted in the correct position (as soon as some cash comes in Lepo5 I'll sort you out mate, many thanks for your phone conversation).

Then there is the corrosion resistance that needs to be in place on the inside of the doors.

Plenty to get stuck into, for the future, and still have no idea what to fit engine wise........ BUT still like the idea of Turboing a CIH or supercharging a CIH mainly due to the strength of the CIH and just for the sheer fact of doing something different.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice paint job, but I think you might have missed a bit :blink:

(sorry, but someone had to do it :lol: )

Supercharging the CIH does sound like a nice idea. Whilst I was building my 2.2 I noticed there are mount points on block which aren't used (power steering on carlton maybe?) and my mind started to wonder what I could bolt to it instead!

Course if you wanted something really different you could use a mazda rotary engine :P

Or make an electric manta! :lol:

Shug....

I looked extensively into supercharging the CIH.

The spark plug side of the head is basically bare, as such you can bolt brackets and stuff to hold a supercharger onto the side of the head, the dizzy is in the way but can be removed by using a EDIS system and running something such as megasquirt, emerald, etc, to control the fuelling and ignition.

Hardest part of fitting a supercharger on the CIH is mounting a suitable tensioner pully.

engine2.JPG

Not easy to see but halfway between the engine mount point and timing cover are 4 threaded holes. Just room under the water pump outlet for a pulley I reckon. If someone gives me a charger, I'll see if it fits :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Shug. The 4 threaded bolt holes are the power steering pump mounts for when the CiH was fitted into crappy old buses such as the Carlton.

A supercharger will physically not fit in this area as there simply isn't room, believe me I've looked.

Stu Buddy, was a brief but good chat yesterday, and yes it is so damn good to be getting my teeth back into a Manta, but all the same old hassles again.

Hassles such as the front bumper, feck me what a real nasty piece o' sh1te this was, deep scours, scratches, stone chips, metal bracket not secured and nothing to mount it back onto, about 8- grillion layers of paint etc, etc, it took me bloody ages to get this sorted, as I do not have a spare or the money to buy a better one so it was simply a case of getting stuck in and doing the work required.

Quite happy with the result though, now where's that smug smiley?

fr%20bump.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well the car is still moving slowly along.

Should be seeing the start of the end now I have the car on my front here.

Miss using a drive and a garage, but where there is a will......... Also nice to have decent internet access back at long long last.

Also nice to see the snotty neighbours getting upset at my old chum Mr. Angle Grinder he he.

Thanks fella's.

Yes there will be some piccies to come, and after knocking around on this forum for what will be approx 10 years soon I don't see any reason why I should not be on here for a long time to come yet.

Should have some amusing updates to come on the project especially from the difference between my old neighbours and the new ones (fffing miserable snotty basts)

Btw Pat.... I think I'm not a grillion miles from you now mate, just down the A50, currently working at a place called Hilton, in Derbyshire.

Ive done absolutely Ziltch on my Manta's

been too occupied with visiting the doctor

((( She's a real cutie mind ;) )))& saving up

to pay for the hospital car parking fees :angry:

for the various appointments Ive had recently...

Looking forward to seeing your project in the flesh

soon Clive .... Post the picci's up ...I could do with

a bit of Encouraging eye-candy to get me to pull this

finger outta my R's & start doing something to mine ...

Good to have you back posting too , Sir ..... :thumbup

Edited by bettyswallox