I feel a project coming on

opel2000

Hello Clive, good to see you back on the forum. Always liked to read your posts and see pics of the quality of your work. In Holland we would say: 'you must have hands made of gold to start and finish such a project'. Been away for a couple of months myself, but I remembered a site for Turboed CIH engines: http://cih-turbo-manta.tripod.com. It's all in German, but Vedi can be contacted by visiting the guestbook/Gastebuch.

On the subject of Nissan engines, did you watch the drifting A series? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bx3WmxGGok. I contacted the owner in Malaysia and got a short reply:

"it's 1973 Opel manta with Nissan CA18DET, nissan sylvia gearbox, toyota ae86 axle.......and some add ons for drifting."

Best regards,

Peter

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Clive,good to see you back,you could do with neighbours like the ones you had at Frolsworth road when Mr still saw came out :unsure:

It's good to here that things are looking up for you :thumbup

Oddly enough Mick the car that got Mr Stihl saw to it has supplied the crossmember and bonnet to the current project, not a lot of that car went to waste at all.

Been refurbing some Calibra Turbo Calipers today, they are now ready to bolt in place as soon as I have sorted out the disc to hub adaptors.

Blue Thunder.

Engine being fitted now is XE as I had one given to me and Mantasrme supplied me with a 1.8 box a while back, along with engine mounts off of Mickappy, and a steel sump being half cobbled up my myself, I should get round to finishing it as soon as I get the engine rebuild components

Pretty much drove up past a lot of the good members I know in the OMOC today from Derby up to Preston, as life starts to ease up and settle down for me it would be nice to think I could start catching up with my Manta buddies again.

Hi Clive.

Looking furard tae seeing urr nixt stonkin Manta, awe wiz welcome unawe Nrth owe Preston oniday owe thi week.Glad to hear awes better on thi home front and look furard tae seeing yae aboot thi Clan Camp Billing nixt year.PS. Craigs motor comin on awe treat.

Hey, hello Rab, well life not settled down too much as the place I was working www.kitbuildingsdirect.co.uk had me operating the steelworker (100 Ton punch, cropping and noting machine) had me lugging tons of steel around by hand, had me welding up the rafters, columns and associated bits o' factory unit, had me delivering some of the smaller units by virtue of driving a bloody sh1te Renault flat bed lorry aka a feckin' death trap (nearly rolled it once) in the end for the pittance they were paying me for the work and the working conditions and the abysmal absolutely horrendous hours of getting up at Dark O' clock and Early O' clock just thought enough was enough and walked out a couple of weeks ago, just landed some contract work for a few weeks (fabricating and all sorts) but not too settled really, but I'm happy :):DB):thumbup

Anyway here's some piccies

Prob doesn't look too much still to most of you out there, but there is always some little bit being done here and there on it and it always looks that little better to me when I lay my eyes on it.

Got the other rear arch done at long long last.

rrarch.jpg

Brakes are now plumbed in except for the flexi lines, I shall be making some up to suit the calipers as soon as discs and calipers are permanently in place.

snowy.jpg

Thanks to Snowy for supplying info on the correct route the brake lines take in and out of the bias valve.

Front brakes are Calibra turbo calipers and Sierra Cosworth vented front discs, big thumbs to Mantasrme for supplying the info and Dimensions on the Cosssie discs.

I do have to get the centrebore of the discs machined yet, and redrill the discs for the hubs.

proper brake.jpg

Looking good Clive, knew you'd give it a good home!!! Glad its all going well on the manta front.

If you need any bits and bobs don't go searching too far before you ring me, and if you need to blast anything or owt like that yr welcome to come and use the blaster etc, and don't forget the offer of using the booth for the rest of your painting still stands!

Hope you get some beam units ok, and that you get everything on the level again ok! Good to spk earlier, will be in touch once I have the ally for that panel.

cheers mate

Nat

Wow!!! finally someones sticking a CA18DET into an old opel! i had the idea a while ago for my Mk1 cav but thats in the wings at the min for my Rekord C Coupe. Your work is very inspiring i would love to see this finished! i dont get jealous easy but damn!!!

Sorry mate, but the CA aint going in, too much issue with the Gearbox, but after having spoken to someone that was contempalting a similar transplant it seems (now I've sold the CA and box) that the issues I had would not have been too much of a problem at all. :(

Wow!!! finally someones sticking a CA18DET into an old opel!

I did help/advise a young guy around 2 years ago to put one in an A Series. Was in Retro cars but i cant remember which month though. :rolleyes:

You still after an rear spoiler Clive? Got good black one if you're not sorted.

Edited by simon p

Ohh! im sorry to hear that! it would of been sweet! ive decided to go ahead with mine, im going to holland to get the last of the parts for my rekord then im putting that to bed so i can start the CA18DET into Nova transplant!!! im in stages of working out what i'd need to do to mount the Nissan lump to an F20 box, i'll just chop and change the bellhousing as required. Ive done a search and its never been done to a Nova! so should be fun!

Ohh! im sorry to hear that! it would of been sweet! ive decided to go ahead with mine, im going to holland to get the last of the parts for my rekord then im putting that to bed so i can start the CA18DET into Nova transplant!!! im in stages of working out what i'd need to do to mount the Nissan lump to an F20 box, i'll just chop and change the bellhousing as required. Ive done a search and its never been done to a Nova! so should be fun!

Certainly different, but, and I'm not being critical, just offering sensible advice, why not just use the vauxhall LET (or XE turbo as I prefer if you are modifying it..........

If you start from an XE, put the LET pistons in it, then it can be done pretty cheaply, as you already have XE cams, which you would prob put in the LET sooner or later anyway, and other than the oil drain, the rest is the same anyway...........

The nissan is strong, but then so is the vauxhall. We have an XE turbo with std bottom end making 400 hp, look on our website

• 2 months later...

Feel really damn stuck on this at the moment.

Weather has been shit, car is parked on grass as drive was too steep to push it up onto, and I need to get the engine and box out at some point (bare block and box were fitted to enable easy transport and easy storage (total lack of storage here and no garage :(:( .

So at some point as soon as funds and weather and time permit (work going through roof and very poorly GF) the crossmember will bw detatched and engine and box rolled out for the engine rebuild, fook knows what condition it will be in from the damp lawn.

Still got loads to do on this just simply don't know where to start with my frustrations on this due to total lack of a decent drive and any covered area.

• 3 months later...

Well heck, long slow progress, but still slowly moving along, been many issues slowing me down on this project, Time, money, facilities, weather, partners ill health (some of you reading will know exactly how ill)

ANYway............ enough of my boring shit, fact remains it is still moving, but slowly.

Recently had a week off of work due to contract due to be terminated (contract renewed but still had week off) and what a week of weather to get stuck into a car on a lawn.

Rebuilt the block with new rings, bearings etc, and fitted my patchwork quilt big wing home made steel sump, it will hold oil but feck me I had to alter it that many times (had nothing to work from but keep refitting the block and sump until it cleared everything.

engine.jpg

Engine has not got head on yet as I'm unsure how to get this fitted to car, current thoughts are to roll car back on to the road and drop engine off of stand to fit flywheel and clutch and gearbox and then jack up car to roll out the crossmember and get someone to help me drop the lot onto the crossmember before roling the whole lot back under the car, have everything needed to do this except assistance.

Better way would be to get my engine hoist here, but is 25 miles away and in the care of someone who is extremely busy. (engine hoist won't fit in the back of my Skyline.

Next this week saw me getting stuck into some of the bodywork, so I stripped down the N/S sill and doing a bit of welding to the rear sill to wheel arch area (you know the bit I mean) Before fitting the new trailing arms I bought at Billing years ago (originally intended for my old V8)

Due to the fact that car is open to elements I cannot leave bare metal out too long so everything has to be done in small areas at a time. Ideally I would have filled and prepped both arches, the rear end and the door shuts and sills and sprayed both rear quarters, boot shut, rear end, sills, and door shuts in one fell swoop.

BUT in my book any work done to a reasonable standard in the conditions I have is work well done.

manta proj progress.jpg

Lot of work done underneath too which is boring but as car was white, and I mean WHITE EVERYWHERE it is nnice for me to see the cntrast now appearing between red sills and black undersealed underside of the car, lot of dirty messy work done there, thankful to the weather though this week, as I said earlier in this post there has often a little bit of work done here and there which always makes it look more like a car to me, rather than a pile of work.

Simply cannot wait to get this on the road, more than anything else the thought of this car moving under it's own power when I get the XE running and that first turn of the ignition key and it all roars to life is always so damn uplifting on a drawn out project.

Gonna clean it up a bit after the England game and post a couple of pics up

Couple of pics here, and although it poss don't look much there has been a hell of a lot of work done.

New roof,

New arches,

New wings,

New/Refurbed bumpers and sideskirts fitted

Replacement doors,

Refurbished and replaced crossmember with strengthened lower arms and wishbones.

Trans tunnel converted for 5 speed along with G/box mounting.

All typical rot removed and weldeing done.

Refurbed Calibra Turbo Calipers and new Cosworth discs.

New brake lines everywhere.

New drums.

New trailing arms.

Recaro interior fitted.

Twin light conversion cobbled together from bits n bobs and wired in.

injection tank fitted

Not to mention all the time of sourcing, and refurbing all the items before painting and fitting.

Come to think of it now, i've seen other people do a lot less in the same time period with far better facilities.

To me though I see this car coming together nicely and as I will say again, looking a lot more like a car every time.

manta b1.jpg

manta b1int.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally I have 16V Manta :)

Big thanks to Bobby (Can't remember his username, it's something like czwh42) for popping over with his engine hoist.

It was nice to see that V8 of yours again mate. :thumbup

manta16v.jpg

Really got the bit between my teeth now on this, as evrything can now be done on the front of my house barring the body work.

Only real irritating thing is the heater, really don't know what route to choose for this at all. I have thoughts of using a bilge blower, or using a bracket mounted off of the front of the engine using a Manta 1.8 pulley to drive the front mounted dissy, or build a heater box around a Polo heater (said I'd never do it again) Or.... May do something quite trick that I've not seen done before, but I need to clarify where the oil is deposited from at the back of the cam first.

But for now it will stay at the back of the engine until it has been fired up and I know all is well.

Got a lot of people to thank for bits n bobs on this project to date

Edited by opel2000

That's starting to look good mate, if you need any help with the wiring to get it fired up let me know ,i am sure you wont but the offer is there.

Cheers mate, quite poss gonna be looking at the loom today, a fair bit to sort out here me thinks as I don't remember so many connections when the loom was on my Calibra :blink:

By the way mate, how did you get on in the concours at Billing?

on the heater front i,ve been eyeing these up , not cheap but have seen dearer & they look compact www.t7design.co.uk

Hello mate, how the hell are you?

Very interesting link you have sent there, I had been thining about cobbling up something similar myself using a bilge blower, but the problem being when fan not being used warm air will still enter cabin, and would have needed some sort of shut off to heater matrix, but then this could knock on to eficiency of cooling system circulation.

Cheers mate, quite poss gonna be looking at the loom today, a fair bit to sort out here me thinks as I don't remember so many connections when the loom was on my Calibra :blink:

By the way mate, how did you get on in the concours at Billing?

Billing Second again ,car or the show Steve's A :thumbup

I will have a look and see if i still have the connection drawings for the 16 valve conversion i made when i did my car.