I feel a project coming on

opel2000

Glad things have picked up Clive, good to see your work again - even if only in photos. I'll never forget the 'fun' you had with the V8 exhaust & rear end. Stunning when finished though. :thumbup

Pleased to say that my Manta is back on the road after having replacement chassis rails from the swan neck forward and the brakes refurbed by Big Red. Chris has done a spanking job & it's a joy to drive again. Not sure I really want to sell it!!

Hope to see (or at least talk to you soon), having lost your moile number when my phone went walkies.

All the best mate, GB

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Dave (Mantasrme) do you remember selling me that 1.8 Gearbox, well this is where it went. And to be totally honest I had been having thoughts of dismantling the loom under the plack plastic injector rail thingey, as I had heard someone mention it before, couple that with the fact that it is going to be a right pain in the arse to lengthen all the bloody wires especially as a lot of them will be screened cables, it is making sense to go that route David.

Blueosis1

"hi clive ,can i ask how you conected your oil temp switch up.the xe only has 1 wire ,i got 2 on my 1.8 loom"

Do you mean the oil pressure gauge?

Looking at the wiring diagram there is a lot of connections that go to the dash. All of these are being ignored as the loom only needs to run the fuel injection system, spark, and fuel pump and anythhing else associated I've forgot about.

The oil pressure gauge will be ran by the original Manta wires attached to a Manta pressure gauge fitted into the oil pump housing with a suitable adaptor. Not too sure "What" adaptor as I haven't got round to sorting this fiddly bit out yet.

Mick, mate, tbh this doesn't feel like the quality build I've done in the past, but then again there is still time to fettle I guess.

George, mate, Didn't realise your rails were as bad as needing such serious work, good to know you still have and enjoy that car of yours, not surprising you feel like you don't want to sell it, shall have to give you a call sometime buddy.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update here, still moving slowly, but moving nonetheless.

Acting upon advice on here, coupled with what I have heard others mention, I removed the black plastic cover to the injector loom.

And pulled all this out...........

loom1.jpg

Then I messed about with it a bit.

loom2.jpg

Then found things could get poked back into place and all the wires were hanging out (or as they say in Derby "aart") the back of the plastic injection loom housing, to find (as expected) that some wires would be longer than others but it put the ECU hanging in a decent place.

loom3.jpg

In fact it found the ECU hanging in a brilliant place with loads o' spare loom.

loom4.jpg

All that was needed was to lengthen a few of the wires in the engine bay to create a smooth running loom which would all run out the back of the black plaggy bit o' thing.

In fact I thought I had one of these put to one side ready for this http://www.customsolutions.me.uk/products/detail/20-xe-injection-loom-cover but unfortunately the one I'd saved for myself was for a Nova 1.6GSi :(

Anyway another pic of loom looking a bit more organised

loom5.jpg

And if Manta88 is reading this....... Yes mate all properly sodered connections, I didn't have any shrink wrap so used a good wad of insulating tape, and where the wires were a bit sharp (due to soldering and strands sticking up) I filed them down so they would not protrude through the tape and staggered the splices too to help make doubly sure :thumbup cos I remember you telling me off in the past mate. ;)

anyway all ended up quite neat in the end.

loom6.jpg

Downside is that the part of the loom I had already extende to reach the coil now hangs over the front bumper, and the wires for the dizzy need shortening.

The blue wire for the instrument temp sensor has been taken out of the Manta loom and will be taped up with the ECU coolant sensor wires, these will take a route along the N/S inner wing well away from exhaust heat.

Also the connector plug for the Lambda sensor is quite close to the bulkhead where the loom goes through for the ECU, current thoughts are that it may be an idea to run the Lambda sensor wires through the car to the exhaust, rather than through the engine bay.

One thing I'm unsure about is a small black plug with one single black wire connected to it. I had been told this was the switched ignition feed for the coil, checking over the Cliabra wiring diagram this "looks" about right, but I'm no expert.

Rev Counter was taken direct from the ECU and connected to the rev counter wire leading down from behind the dash.

Just need to take off the engine management fault wire, to an LED or something, and the wires for the diagnostic plug, aannd connect up the fuel pump wire.

Also need to get the TDC sensor, ordered one from the main dealers this eve after work, then plumb the fuel lines in and wish to god I had one of thes to mount the fuel pump http://www.customsolutions.me.uk/products/detail/opel-manta-fuel-pump-mounting-bracket A set of plug leads and then it should all fire up.

Fit an exhaust, a spot more welding I,ve uncovered on O/S sill, a washer bottle, bit o' paint, a stereo lowered springs and a headlining oh and parcel shelf. and it's done.

Edited by opel2000

Great job on the wiring mate ,so it didn't go in one ear and out the other then ;) ,i'm impressed ,it's a few years since we sorted the wiring on your old red B. I think from memory there is a small brown wire on one of the 4 or 6 pin plugs that has to be earthed for the ECU supply or the thing won't fire up. :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

Getting pretty tempted to break this............

Can't seem to get anything for this car to get it running,

Can't get high pressure fuel hose anywhere in this shithole city called Derby,

Just bought some hoses off of Ebay, and the tossers sent them to the wrong address.

Can't get anything anywhere to get this finished, yet there are Manta owners out there with all the shit needed sitting around in boxes that they will never use.

Makes a fucking nonsense of all the times I've helped people out with parts over the years, and a total nonsense of joining an owners club.

Waste of time all round if you ask me.

now now clive , lol , finally got a chance to look yesterday , exhaust manifold is possibly a go .spoiler is available i have door seals but not in light grey. i have a rough coupe headlining which jill has looked at & said it can be made no problem as long as someone has the steel inserts from one to use , just waiting on some prices for materials to make headlinings up :thumbup:blink:

ps what hoses are you missing , if we are talking coolant , i could almost be a one stop shop

Edited by pat

Just bought some hoses off of Ebay, and the tossers sent them to the wrong address.

Clive, is any of this stuff (click here) any good to you ?

I've found most of the bits we spoke about, but I can't find a piece of pipe that's needed :rolleyes: Will call soon.

..........shithole city called Derby...........

My sentiments exactly :blink:<_<

Getting pretty tempted to break this............

Can't seem to get anything for this car to get it running,

Can't get high pressure fuel hose anywhere in this shithole city called Derby,

Can't get anything anywhere to get this finished, yet there are Manta owners out there with all the shit needed sitting around in boxes that they will never use.

Makes a fucking nonsense of all the times I've helped people out with parts over the years, and a total nonsense of joining an owners club.

Waste of time all round if you ask me.

my sentiments exactaly everybodys your pal when they want sumit but when its the other way round well grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you no what i mean opel 2000:(

Makes a ******* nonsense of all the times I've helped people out with parts over the years, and a total nonsense of joining an owners club.

Yep, half the time I give things away people don't let you know they have arrived, let alone say thank you (not the last couple of people, don't mean you). However, doesn't really warrant the asterixes does it?

Hi Clive, i can understand your attitude at the fact years ago you gave away parts, now you can't get them, i've done it myself and now i WILL not give parts away.

I had a bloke come to my house, i shown him my loft and he was like a deranged bloke from supermarket sweep! I didn't get a thank's or offer of a pint

I very rarely sell parts anymore, stuff is hard to get so i don't let 'stock'fall below 3 of each ( i'm running 2 cars)

I know you are MANTA to your bones, sooooo, give me a ring ( same number i've had for years)

If i can't sort you out, i know who can

Don't despair, don't weigh it in' don't kick the bloody thing, you have spent too much time on the body work :thumbup :thumbup

PS, swop you a 3 piece for that cat ;) collection from NW pub meet

Kev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well if I can get the oil pressure sender sorted and the fuel lines sorted this week, no reason why I shouldn't be firing this up.

Out of work at the mo, so have a bit of time on my hands, but not a great deal of cash.

Pretty much have the water pipes fitted now, many thanks to PAT, cheers buddy. Also have a brand new exhaust manifold in place now, many many thanks again to PAT.

Got to get a bit of injection loom off of Nat at RetroPower tomorrow and filch a bit of stainless tube off of him for fabricating rest of exhaust system.

Other part of system is to be made from bits n' bobs, I have a middle box which Ian Goacher gave to me off of his old narrow bodied genuine Manta 400 and a twin upswept stainless backbox off of my old buddy Chris Tee, (pretty sure I never gave him the £20.00 for this, have to sort that out some time)

Should all be just finishing off stuff now, but uncovered what currently looks like a complete rebuild of the drivers side rear jacking point area, which is pretty annoying as it all looked fine as someone had fitted a full sill sometime in it's life but now not looking at all good after doing some serious poking about.

Hate this area as the car has to go nice and high to be able to access the underside and on a sloping drive I'm gonna be feeling decidedly unsafe

A plus side is though,,,,,,,,,,,,, gonna be in a situation in a couple of weeks to be able to bling up the bay.

Hoping to get some pics up later.

• 4 months later...

Well pretty much since last posting up on this the weather had simply been too damn crap to get outside and do anything on this.

Main thing was for me to start on the drivers sill area and work back onto the quarter panel trying.

Drivers sill wasn't as bad as first thought, really it could do with replacing, but decided to patch it up for now as I really want this car on the road.

Reason the car could do with a sill is due to having one fitted in the past, and work not done to a very good standard.

At least the rebuild of the rear drivers jacking point area was not needed after all, but after having a god poke about I found some floorpan disapearing close to the edge where the sill had been replaced, so had to put approx 18" length of 1.5mm in there to make nice and strong, won't bore you with welding pics

Got a piece of steel patched flush into the sill, and filled and painted the sill

From here I could now work on the rear quarter as any distortion caaused from welding would now be out the way, needed to try and add a bit of filler to bring the arch to it's correct shape, the bastard bit being where the swage lines meet the arch.

Also got the underside of the boot all stripped of the white hammerite that was peeling off everywhere, and got some black painted on and undersealed.

Also picked up an Exclusive rear spoiler and fitted it, needs a little bit of work due to cracks in it, and had a mess about with that by working on the worst piece and it seems to be coming out ok.

Also since last post actually got the brake flexi lines sorted and brakes bled, so now have all 3 pedals actually working.

Also been cobbling a middle box that Ian Goacher gave me off of his old 400 by cutting off the old pipe and rolling up new steel and welding into place. Really need to get that into place which I shall be looking at today as there are no hangaers on it at present.

Hers's some pics

sill.jpg

qpanel.jpg

qpanel1.jpg

qpanel2.jpg

just thought to add, you will see in the pics that I gave a quick coat of pimer over the whole panel, there is still some low areas to fill yet, but just wanted it looking as uniform as possible, been struggling to find Plastic Padding here in Derby, as well as Satin Black spray paint. I seem to be constantly filling over holes ccaused by crap filler, so a small amount of filling has been left for now.

Also you will see how the fuel tank and trim was removed before putting a coat of primer over the whole panel, shame the person that originally re-sprayed it in Dulux didn't do this.

tell you one thing clive , one of the things i always enjoy about your build pics is that its good to see one being done in a drive not a garage.

yes it makes it a drag when you are the one having to watch the weather , but for those of us without access to those facilities its nice to see what someone with enthusiasm . some skills and a lot of attention to detail can achieve on a low budget build.

Class as usual , and got to be inspiration for some of us besides me. :thumbup