I feel a project coming on

opel2000

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason I ask Clive is that like you I'm working outside and will be needing to paint my hatch a panel at a time over summer. Problem is, mine is Monaco Blue so I'm worried it will end up looking like a patchwork quilt...

Hi Clive,yeah,i thought that pre-filter looked familiar lol.Mate,once again how do you do it so well.Can't believe the difference between the 1st and the last piccys on this thread -unreal.You able to go to Billing mate,i should be there this year (work,kids and mrs work permitting of course)would be great to see you again bud.Don't forget Clive,if i can help you with any bits,just give me a bell :thumbup

Reason I ask Clive is that like you I'm working outside and will be needing to paint my hatch a panel at a time over summer. Problem is, mine is Monaco Blue so I'm worried it will end up looking like a patchwork quilt...

TBH Leon I would have thought that spraying a metallic colour such as Monaco Blue may be a little more tricky.

From what I have been told I would go the route of......

Mixing and measuring the paint/thinners/hardener constantly the same for each panel. Keeping the air pressure and gun settings the same for each panel, as i understand it this will lay the paint down as precisely as possible from panel to panel and it shouldn't look like a patchwork quilt, perhaps someone more versed in this subject will advise better, but that was pretty much what I was told by one of Leicesters top paint sprayers.

Hi Clive,yeah,i thought that pre-filter looked familiar lol.Mate,once again how do you do it so well.Can't believe the difference between the 1st and the last piccys on this thread -unreal.You able to go to Billing mate,i should be there this year (work,kids and mrs work permitting of course)would be great to see you again bud.Don't forget Clive,if i can help you with any bits,just give me a bell :thumbup

He He yes mate, I knew exactly where that had come from as soon as I saw it in my tiny box o' spares, and yes I do think I need to be getting in touch with you soon for something, many thanks for offer Paul :thumbup May not be able to get to Billing due to GF's ill health, will see how things are closer to the time, and many thanks for comments on the thead mate :thumbup

Hope it's not a let down after all the years of driving the skyline ;)

When it's up and running we'll have to try and meet up at pub meet or something.

Hello Chris, can't remember if I told you I was driving a Mighty 1.2 Corsa these days. Hoping money situation gets improved to the point where I can get shut of the Corsa and drive the Manta on a daily basis, at the moment anything will NOT be a let down over driving the Corsa.

As for the Skyline though :(:(:( God how much I miss driving that car, bast Gov't and stupid petrol prices.

And yes will definately have to meet up, been a while now eh mate, in fact last time was a Lincs Torque meet at that pub that was off the A57 (I think)

Hope all is well mate.

Devil fish :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Cheers Buddy, still dead busy and not had chance to open parcel but is on my priority excitement list of things to do when i get inthis eve.

Edited by opel2000

Right then.

Just removed the headlining Darren, took it out to car and put one of the stiffer rods through it, and it looks as though it is going to fit, it does look close though, will know more come the time to fit, hopefully some good weather again this weekend shall sort this out.

One thing I will say though......

This is going to be an absolute bast to fit, my God it is made from serious vinyl rather than headlining material. Gonna have my work cut out on this mate. :thumbup

Well Ideally this would have been the weekend to tackle the headlining.

All the wires beneath the dash are neat and sorted, so that when dash is removed to fit the A pillar sections of Vinyl it won't be a disoredered mass of spaghetti.

But short of 2 of the finer roof bars for the headlining, coupled with being absolutely knackered from a bitch of a week.

It doesn't help being woke up at 5 am every morning by this little bleeder. I thought I'd turn my hand to a couple of simpler jobs.

thumperb.jpg

Been pottering about yesterday, fitted ignition leads that arrived, fortunately enough I had no idea of the connection pattern on the dizzy which led me to remove the dizzy and put engine at TDC to see which was actually lead No.1 The shaft to rotor arm was so rusty I doubt whether any connection would have been present come start up time.

decided to do a few little bits on engine bay that needed tidying followed by a bit of fly removal from the recently sprayed bonnet, and attempting to polish up the front screen. think i'm flogging a dead horse with the windscreen, it is pretty much stuffed, and will see if I can get a new one come the time of fitting headlining, all of a sudden there seems to be cash outlay on all the little finishing off jobs.

Also irritating there seems to be a few people out there at the moment thathave things like Glass and trim etc. but do not have the time and money to fetch and buy the stuff, don't you just know that come the time to replace the bad (and I do mean BAD) bits of trim and glass that there will not be any available. But all will come right in time.

After putting stuff away yesterday I took a few pics, and really liked this one so I thought I'd post it up.

rwb.jpg

Edited by opel2000

real nice project, car looks the bees! keep up the excellent work,

cant believe this car was worked on outside, puts anyone with a gargae to shame.

your on the pigs back now, coming into the good weather! Hopefully.

cant wait to see her finished, enjoy.

Thanks for comments Fella's

And yes Craig, a good friend of mine (Bobby aka czwh42) just dropped off the rear quarter glass seals, and he also dropped off an alternator bracket for me, as well as a thermostat housing whic hasn't got the instrument temp sensor snapped off in it (oops :unsure: )

Also put the black lip on the rear spoiler on Sunday, got a few minor niggles to sort out in the engine bay and it'll be ready for an engine bay picture up on here, not going to be anything special though.

Thanks for comments Fella's

And yes Craig, a good friend of mine (Bobby aka czwh42) just dropped off the rear quarter glass seals, and he also dropped off an alternator bracket for me, as well as a thermostat housing whic hasn't got the instrument temp sensor snapped off in it (oops :unsure: )

Also put the black lip on the rear spoiler on Sunday, got a few minor niggles to sort out in the engine bay and it'll be ready for an engine bay picture up on here, not going to be anything special though.

I have found those roof bars. A miracle in itself especially with my filing system ! :lol: I will pop these over sometime this weekend. ;)

The car is looking excellent mate. Excellent work as usual. :thumbup

Headlining Day.

Well another coffee and a fag, and it is on to the headlining, got to get screens and seal out, dash, quarter seals (in the dustbin) just hope this all goes well, but pretty sure it's going to be a battle.

Have Headlining, roof bars, + a couple spare, stanley knife, bulldog clip, vinyl for a and c pillars and glue for said pillars and material.

Will post up some pics later....

Well it was a bit tight, but it fitted.

Bloody glad I made an early start whilst it was still cool, so first off all trim and dash was removed, didn't take 5 mins to do this, took a bit longer to get all the trim back in though.

h1.jpg

Next, I lay out the headlining in the (now getting quite warm) sunshine so that it would be nice and flexible and the vinyl would be supple and stretchy, just in case it did prove to be on the tight side of things. Remember this is made of heavy vinyl and not headlining type material.

h2.jpg

Here is a shot of the knackered rear quarter seals, and was absolutely amazed when fitting the replacement seals just how bad these were in overall fit and size.

h3.jpg

Measuring the little spikey tabs that hold the roof bars in place on the, er Roof, I transferred the measurements onto the headlining working from the centre of the lining and cut apertures for spikey bits to grab roof bars.

h4.jpg

Then it was hooked into place, i started with the big roof bars as theselocate well into the sides of the roof frame, and work to the front and rear from there, and was ridiculously easy, and not the battle I always thought it would be.

h5.jpg

Then came the real time consuming part, as well as a lot of heat from the Sun, I cut a section of vinyl for the first A pillar and using contact adhesive, I glued this into place on the A pillar, but it was so damn hot the glue was going off as soon as it was brushed onto the Vinyl and Pillar, not too much of a problem as it is supposed to go off, but it made brushing it quite lumpy in areas, coupled with the fact that I was getting through a lot of glue just on a small area, and didn't have a lot of glue :unsure:

So up came the biggest ball ache of the day, a trip down to B&Q.

Down to the Adhesives aisle.

No Contact Adhesive :huh:

"Ay up mate, where is your contact adhesive"

"just here"

"No mate, that is No More Nails"

"Oh well we don't sell it then"

What an absolute useless bleeding moron, of course they chuffing sell it. went to building section, and was told that on the adhesives aisle there is a book containing the solvent based adhesives, you tear off a strip detiling the item you want and take it to the cashiers.

Back down to bleeding moron on Adhesive Aisle.

"Yes that's right we have a book containing the adhesive you require" :o:angry: (USELESS TOSSER) "but it isn't here, you need to go to checkout and ask them for glue"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Checkout....

They show me a tiny empty tin of non solvent based contact adhesive.

"Why the hell have you got this behind the counter as it doesn't even contain solvent, and as such it will be shit anyway"

They show me another tin, from behind another checkout, and I say "YES, that is what I want do you have a bigger tin"

"We have it in a small tube" (for God's sake since when has a small tube been a bigger tin)

"Give me 2 of those tins then"

"Oh we have a bigger tin"

FOR GODS FECKING SAKE WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE, ALL I WANT IS A TIN OF B4STARD GLUE.

ANYWAY.

Got back home 2pm and by now it was really hot. got the other Apillar done and then moved on to putting the Vinyl onto the C pillars then the headlining stretched down onto the B pillars and glued into place followed by the edges of the quarter glass area, then moved onto the front pulling the headlining tight up to the top of the front screen, then the same on the rear, then did the tops of the doors.

Quite time consuming due to the heat of the day making the glue difficult to use.

But Yippee I now have headlining, it isn't brilliant due to the heavy seams and loops which lead to the edge of the headlining, if I had cut the loops off completely at the edges the headlining itself would have come unstitched, so the seals do have the odd little bulge in them here and there.

h6.jpg

So all I need to do is put the glass and seals back in now and just as I was thinking may leave this until it cools down a bit, or even finish off tomorrow when it strikes me that the rumbling I keep hearing is not actually from Castle Donnington (get a lot of noise from planes and the track day noise carrying over) but from this..........

eck.jpg

Only a big chuffing storm brewing up, and as I stood watching the cloud it was looking as if it was heading my way...

So rushed about in the heat to get everything back in, storm actually passed us, but at least glass and seals were back in at the end of the day.

Nice thing today is pottering about fitting things like sunvisors and rear view mirror and seatbelts, and re-fitting dash.

A nice easy peasy steady day today and looking a lot cooler than yesterday, was even too hot to drink Bud yesterday out here in that heat, but shall make up for that today, followed by a good bit of solvent abuse. :thumbup

Edited by opel2000

Been there in B&Q and had the same think happen to me!

If its the little red tins of solvent glue (looks like pva) i use them for attaching end strips to worktops.

If its the same thing did yours hold ok? the reason i ask is i plan to use the same stuff to stick back my original headlining after partially removing it to fit a replacement sunroof. (See my sunroof project)

Everyone tells me its an unpleasant job but compared to grinding rust off the bottom of a car i think as jobs go it'll be pretty good. Well... so long as the adhesive sticks!

B&Q thinks kids will sniff the glue so they have the stupid token to the desk arrangement.

Don't think kids sniffed glue since the late eighties. Think they're more into facebook, canabis, stabbing other kids, drinking cider out of brown plastic bottles and x-box now.

Got so much work for you Clive, shame you don't live in Lincolnshire.

B&Q soon to be renamed..... "B in a Que". As it is almost impossible to get out of the place without standing in one for s*@t loads of your precious time whilst trying to get on with a job at home!

Thing is Paul here in Derby ((pronounced DArrbee) apparently) they have the scan it yerself checkouts which is great unless you ever worked at a checkout and wore a uniform and got paid for doing this, if you did then it is a bit of an insult having to do this again for FREE. Pretty damn sure they would soon get miffed if I went round telling them they were stocking their shelves wrong or criticising other areas of their business..... Well why not? they don't mind me working as a checkout person so why not a manager, like most managers at B&Q I have no idea either :D:D

tell you nother thing about b and q,,,ive just recenty done my bathroom up and there prices are way way over the top,,,,,,,fecking rip aff merchants i reckon,,,,but ,,,anyways back to the clives car,,,,luvly jubly ,,,i done my new headlinning myself and it aint easy ,,,in fact its a bit of a nightmare tbh,,,but doable i suppose well at least i managed it ,,,,but it did take me best part of three days till i was happy enough,,,,,looks like you doing a good job there clive my man.....stay off the bud and keep focused,,,,,,,i know its hard the closer to the finishing line you get but as a wise old indian once said,,,,"endeavour too persivere my friend!,,endeavour too persivere!"

lol,,,,,,,roll on billing ya bass! :thumbup

Thing is Paul here in Derby ((pronounced DArrbee) apparently) they have the scan it yerself checkouts which is great unless you ever worked at a checkout and wore a uniform and got paid for doing this, if you did then it is a bit of an insult having to do this again for FREE. Pretty damn sure they would soon get miffed if I went round telling them they were stocking their shelves wrong or criticising other areas of their business..... Well why not? they don't mind me working as a checkout person so why not a manager, like most managers at B&Q I have no idea either :D:D

Does this mean you can now get employee discount just for checking out your own purchases :D

Like the progress Clive, see you at Billing.

Hi Clive,

Top notch,always picture in mi heed yon big German chap on last manta vid wi thi scissors doing heed lining when one is ever mentioned.Hope yae git over the finishing line soon and you can sit back wi awe few tinnies and awe big grin tae yur sel.

Paint, yup still can get nae probs celli fae mi wee local paint man doon Falkirk way,have tried the water based on a couple owe models dried nae probs in ma wee heat lamp oven awe hiv, then awe tad laquer tae top aff dare say night und day trying on full size.Yon wee cat must get aboot as we hiv wan jist like it up here.

Hope thi sun keeps shining fur yae tae git awe thing done.

cheers rab.