Stradacab and Devil Fish's 400R road/track project

Devil Fish

Yes, some annoying set-backs, but thanks to Retro and Paul for helping to point me in the right direction...

Just been spending some money :lol: radiator ordered, headlining ordered and hose for catch tank ordered... trumpet socks (temporary measure before getting custom plenum made) have arrived today...

Hopefully we can busy ourselves with the servo until the other bits start arriving :thumbup

Edited by Devil Fish

Bumperage

bumper-1.jpg

How to fit a Polo servo

(Disclaimer: this is a rough guide only, I take no responsibility if you follow this and your brakes dont work!)

Firstly, thanks to Paul Newport (legend!) for guidance.

Source a Polo servo: part number: 868 612 105

As you can see from the pic below its smaller than the manta servo and so frees up some much needed space around back of the c20xe/throttle bodies for pipes/custom plenum etc. However, it is not a straight swap due to the push rods being shorter.

P010211_2015_01.jpg

So to deal with the master cylinder side, we need a piece to fit inside the cylinder to engage the rod inside the servo... we happened to have a spare rod from an old knackered servo so used this. (It is massively important to measure everything first (and triple check!), so that the distances remain the same, otherwise as mentioned above your brakes either wont ever come on or will be on all the time, either of which could be considered non-desirable)!)

P010211_2014_02.jpg

We then drilled into the end to make a nice socket for engaging the end of the rod inside the servo.

P010211_2014_03.jpg

...then insert into the master cylinder

P010211_2015.jpg

Now we need to deal with the pedal end... a threaded bar (we used a normal m10 bolt) is required to extend the pedal end rod. Taper off the ends of the rod on the servo and the bolt to form a nice groove between the two ready for welding. (Remove any zinc plating etc).

Line up...

P010211_2114.jpg

Weld, we used some grips as a heat sink, blobbed some weld on then blasted it with air from a compressor to keep it cool (rinse and repeat), then file until smooth and presentable, not that anyones ever going to see it again (hopefully)!! Measure your distances again, cut end of bolt off leaving enough for adjustment, and screw the manta servo fork and lock nut back on.

P010211_2209.jpg

Modifying a polo servo to fit a manta, done!

Edited by Devil Fish
  • Like 2

Sorry folks I know these aren't the most exciting pictures! :lol:

But anyway, servo etc all back on and brakes re-bled etc... you can see just how much space the polo servo free's up :thumbup

servofinish.jpg

Just need the sunroof brackets, headlining and rad to turn up now so we can crack on with that lot and get it finished.

Then I can get busy cleaning the engine bay, and refreshing the soundproofing, painting any rusty brackets etc..

Edited by Devil Fish

Just need the sunroof brackets, headlining and rad to turn up now so we can crack on with that lot and get it finished.

Then I can get busy cleaning the engine bay, and refreshing the soundproofing, painting any rusty brackets etc..

Looking good guys.

Where did you get the replacement headlining from for the Manta ?

Thanks for the kind words fella.

Again, not a massive update, but some small/time consuming jobs carried out tonight...

Fitted some socks as a temporary measure before getting a plenum made... catch tank installed, and decals fitted. (finished off with an amusing trip to the pub... seriously, listening to Bristol folk rapping 50 cent on karaoke was hilarious!)

Anyway pics!

socks.jpg

Don't tell the missus where her hairdryer is :lol: The master at work,-

hairdryer.jpg

blitz-1.jpg

And the 400r decals on the door... I went subtle with the design and execution of these, personally its exactly the effect I was going for... but any opinions welcomed

decalos.jpg

decalns.jpg

Edited by Devil Fish

I really like the door graphics :thumbup

Where did you get them made as I would love a set of them in silver. I was looking at doing R400 or 400R for my car.

As Adie said this has been a great forum post, and inspiration to myself.

With the Club magazine looking for some extra content. I think this post (condensed), and the Polo Servo fit would be great additions to the mag.

Thanks for the kind words fella.

Again, not a massive update, but some small/time consuming jobs carried out tonight...

Fitted some socks as a temporary measure before getting a plenum made... catch tank installed, and decals fitted. (finished off with an amusing trip to the pub... seriously, listening to Bristol folk rapping 50 cent on karaoke was hilarious!)

Darren as a Bristolian i must say your car looks GERT LUSH :thumbup

Bit of engine bay bling turned up today :)

From Rally Design (thanks to Retro Power for pointing me in there direction)...

looks like a work of art, but won't get to test until the weekend/next week... will let you know how it turns out

alloyrad.jpg

Edited by Devil Fish

Fitted a new sunroof (with the brackets not forthcoming, and well the old Britax was a bit rubbish anyway,- it leaked badly as the seals had long since given up and when open the latch would close if you went over a pothole/bump in the road!) After speaking to James @ bristol sunroof centre (really helpful chap, highly recommended)turns out a Landrover defender sunroof drops right in.. and well it does! Would highly recommend this as a swap for an old leaky pop-up sunroof :thumbup

sunroof.jpg

Also started making some brackets for the rad fan

radfan.jpg

Edited by Devil Fish

Why not mount the fan directly to the rad?

Cheers

D

Why? Because this is better, don't say it isn't, it is. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously (well, mildly seriously!) We made these ally brackets to mount the fan because we thought 'A' they look good/shiny/better than cable-tie/plastic block things and 'B' they hold the fan off the core and 'C' ease of removing/replacing etc. It's probably no better or worse than using any other method, but we do like a bit of metalwork! :lol::D

We are pretty convinced this engine is going to be over-cooled with this bling rad, being in the cavernous manta engine bay, exhaust wrapped and heat shielded etc and so aren't too worried about the brackets blocking air flow too much (they only cover a small portion of the rad and aren't up against the core anyway (there's a good 10-15mil gap) .. if they do, will just drill some holes in them!

Anyway some more pics

rad2edit.jpg

rad3edit.jpg

As always, we love feedback, comments, suggestions from you guys (good or bad) so keep them coming!

Edited by Devil Fish

Bit of engine bay bling turned up today :)

From Rally Design (thanks to Retro Power for pointing me in there direction)...

looks like a work of art, but won't get to test until the weekend/next week... will let you know how it turns out

alloyrad.jpg

Thats what I got going on my 'Scona .Got mine from Demon Tweeks( thanks Jase!) Really nice bit of kit and liking the the fan mounting too!

Really enjoying ths thread keep it up!!!:thumbup

Edited by cact1972

How did you find the fit of the Lenk rooflining?

As have one to fit soon......

John

It's only about half in tonight, we stopped for a curry! Can I let you know if it fits in about 2 days?!!

It seems like it will go in well, quite well made and accurate. Be mindful that it isn't perforated like the original but I think it's going to look really good in there.