Stradacab and Devil Fish's 400R road/track project

Devil Fish

DTM, I'm actually (as we speak) waiting for a complete set of braided aeroquips to arrive... so don't worry!! :thumbup

Which reminds me, I've got to phone my supplier to see where they have got to...

oh and welcome to the forum!! Post up some details of your manta on the forum, would love to see...

DTM, I'm actually (as we speak) waiting for a complete set of braided aeroquips to arrive... so don't worry!! :thumbup

Which reminds me, I've got to phone my supplier to see where they have got to...

oh and welcome to the forum!! Post up some details of your manta on the forum, would love to see...

Hi where abouts in bristol are you guys as im in Bristol too,im in the process of doing my 87 berlinetta.

Cheers carl

I'm in Chepstow, but James and the 400r + all his Mantas are Bradley Stoke way. You'll have to pop over one evening...

Whereabouts are you? Also, you are more than welcome to attend the South Wales meets/shows etc. as James has for the last 3-4 years.

:thumbup

I'm in Chepstow, but James and the 400r + all his Mantas are Bradley Stoke way. You'll have to pop over one evening...

Whereabouts are you? Also, you are more than welcome to attend the South Wales meets/shows etc. as James has for the last 3-4 years.

:thumbup

The car is in bradley stoke right opposite the hilton hotel i will have to pop over and see them

Cheers Carl

• 1 month later...

Offered up the replacement nosecone last night (after spending about 2 hours extracting a replacement cross member and prepping it ready to weld on)...

noseoffer.jpg

Starting to look like a car again!

Sorry to poke a question on your project page but I'm in need of a full nosecone like this'un, did you get this from a supplier or was it just one you had in your own stash?? Looks a lot different from my early B's one! The gap in the middle is much bigger not to mention a damn sight less rustier.

Hope the project is coming also okay,

regards, Rick.

Rick, it was cut from a scrapper, (and it was a replacement on the scrapper too...so its original origins are unknown, most likely off another scrapper!)

And yes, its a later type. I still have the nose cone that was taken off my car, but it is more filler than metal and the lower valence has allready been reserved.

Project on hold as James is on hols, and then Billing!

Ah I see, I wondered why it was painted silver :D It looks in top condition so I assumed it were new.

I never realised the front nose was different on the B's with the exception of the four and two slot grills, it makes sence though not having all that extra metal to rot.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers Stu, we'll be 400r borthers soon :unsure::thumbup:P

Put the Borbets on last night (now with Opel blitz centre caps), car is pretty much ready for paint.

Also, for first time in 5 years the car moved under it's own power! To say that I'm getting excited would be the biggest understatement of all time.

Obviously, it will be lowered with new suspension but here's some shots of the current state...

PIC_0144.jpg

PIC_0135-1.jpg

PIC_0138.jpg

PIC_0134-1.jpg

Finally, I get to use some of my skills, vacuuming is a complex art and takes a

lot of practice to get right, ain't no dust in that boot now. <_<;):thumbup:D:P

It's also important to use the best equipment, Henry comes highly recommended. You should

also wear a vac mask to avoid vac eye.

vac2.jpg

I'll get me coat...

The car spent today at Infinity Exhausts in Yate after and early morning tow from Patchway. It now has a spanking custom built stainless steel exhaust system. Collected it tonight, we can now run it up properly, check levels etc prior to MOT. The paintshop has space next month so watch this space!! Nearly there now!!

Then to the dyno........

The car spent today at Infinity Exhausts in Yate after and early morning tow from Patchway. It now has a spanking custom built stainless steel exhaust system. Collected it tonight, we can now run it up properly, check levels etc prior to MOT. The paintshop has space next month so watch this space!! Nearly there now!!

Then to the dyno........

JUST READ THROUGH YOUR POST .. FANTASTIC WORK ON YOUR MANTA400 REPLICIA,,,, I ALSO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAME JOB .. JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW I TOO PAID WELL OVER £1200 FOR A KIT FROM SAME PEOPLE AS YOU & FOR THAT MONEY I THOUGHT THE KIT WOULD BE A NEAR PERFECT FIT HOW WRONG CAN YOU BE .. HAVE SPENT ENDLESS HOURS GETTING THE KIT TO FIT CORRECTLY.. A LITTLE MORE TIME IN MAKING GOOD MOULDS WOULD MAKE LIFE SO MUCH EASIER FOR THE BUYER.. HAVE FITTED THE REAR ARCHES IN THE SAME WAY AS YOU , ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GO ....

LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THE PICTURE OF FINISHED CAR..

Can't tell yet, as it needs to be rolling road tuned/set-up etc. But they are supposed to produce more power than a carb set-up. Its just on a basic map at the moment to get the engine running, the ECU hasn't even been told what engine its on yet! Should hopefully be running 200+bhp if QED's figures are correct.

Main benefit over carbs (other than increased power) is reliability and the fact that you can set-up a series of different maps depending on what kind of driving you are doing (ie road, track etc).

That's all looking bloody brilliant, the anthracite paintwork over a rep 400 body is going to be original (an in unique, not concourse terms!) not that 400's and replicas look bad in white, it's just nice to see something different, can't wait to see it sprayed up.

Sorry to be a pain but just a few queries. Fistly have you used braided flexi hose for the entire length of the system? I thought the underbody needed to be solid for most of the underside for MOT type purposes but it'd be very handy if this is not true. Also, given that I should be chopping a replacement nosecone tomorrow, could I trouble James to let me know what areas need to be welded, is it just the flat edges close to the front ends of the chassis rails and onto the inner wings behind the headlamps or is there some underneath work involved also?

Lastly Darren, I'm sure you'd have got better suction with a Dyson over a Henry!? :D

God, it seems like so long ago.

Nose cone removal- Spot welds slam panel to wing rails, spot welds inner wings to nose cone flange, spot welds engine bay above chassis rails and 4 spots radiator bottom mount (to release valence)

Best advice is to chop the legs and a few inches up the inner wings and salvage/prep the nose at your leisure on the garage floor.

This job is not for the faint hearted though- I reckon most people could fit one, but patience and an "eye" is required to get uniform shut lines.