Newbie here with a cav coupe.

deanosabby

Hello forum,

I have a 1978 VX Cavalier Coupe GLS with a 1.9L engine. It has only got 38700 miles on the clock and it is genuine mileage.

I picked it up last monday from Peterhead after winning it on ebay for £970.

I have fitted a set of 13" BBS alloys with M+S tyres for the winter and I am also getting quad headlights on Saturday which will be fitted soon.

I will be keeping all the original stuff in the garage and if I come to sell it I will revert it back to standard if needed.

I am keen to fit recaro seats to it as it has standard GLS ones with no headrests and I will at some point if I can get rear seatbelts fitted.

Here are some pics for you to look at and cheers for letting me join your forum.

Ta,

deano.

post-44-1224607982.jpg

post-44-1224607998.jpg

post-44-1224608013.jpg

Oh aye in time

I hope to get a recaro interior first and get it a re-trimmed in red to go with the rest of the inside.

An engine transplant would be good when it needs it but I am not to good with the spanners .

As I have said I am getting quad headlights for it and there are also red front and rear bumpers to from the same place from a post 81 manta.

Thanks for the welcome,

Dean.

I was watching that one closely on ebay, looks like a very nice car you've got yourself. Why can't people leave them standard though? Not having a go, just think it's strange that with so few of them on the road compared to Mantas people would just go and get a Manta if they wanted the bodykit.

I was watching that one closely on ebay, looks like a very nice car you've got yourself. Why can't people leave them standard though? Not having a go, just think it's strange that with so few of them on the road compared to Mantas people would just go and get a Manta if they wanted the bodykit.

I don't think I will put a bodykit on it but the quad lights will be an improvement over whats on and I am getting them at a good price plus they are only about 15 mins away.

All the stuff I will do will be reversible so don't worry to much

Ta,

Deano.

i Deano, welcome to the forum.

That is one nice Cav Coupe in lovely condition.

As for the changes you susggest, the quad lamps is something thats done a lot as you can actually see where your going at night with these! The alloys will work with the chrome trim. As for fitting latter type Manta Bumpers,dont, they'd look out of place with the rest of the trim unless you removed this as well which would mean removing the studs from the panels which means you'd need them painting, anyway i found that with my chrome bumper Manta it stands out more to the general public compared to my Manta with coloured bumpers.Chrome bumpers mark a car out as historic.

I was tempted by that one myself, a very pretty Cavvy,and to echo Spiney I also wish folks would leave the minters alone and go mod a shitter to death if thats what you want to do.However, you pays your money and takes your choices, its your car not mine (Sniff)

I am happy tho' to see it joining the club and very pleased to hear you aint doin' ought irreversible Deanno as it may be me bidding if, or, when you sell it on.

re. the headlights, had you thought of putting 90/130 bulbs in thru' a relay to improve the standard (fairly poor) output of the square lamps ???

Welcome to the fold my son :thumbup

I think mantaman probably put that better than I did there...

The lights I can completely understand, as has been said it's nice to be able to see something in front of you at night, it was more the bumpers I was thinking about. I'm in agreement with Ian on this one, the later bumpers just wouldn't look right with the chrome side trims. Maybe it's just me, I prefer the Cavs and early Manta Bs with chrome to the GTEs and post-81 Mantas in terms of looks.

Welcome Deano

It is indeed a beautiful car as it stands, so I have to agree with the other lads - don't change the bumpers or the lights or anything esle for that matter.

You were attracted to the car as standard, and in my view standard is always best!

As previously stated though, its your motor so feel free to expres yourself!!

Cheers - enjoy

Deano, you poor chap, but I have to agree about keeping it standard or at least "reversible" too.

It looks such a beautiful car and I think in time you'll regret modding it cause there's so few left now (and it's all been done before). If you like the "later" look and performance you could pick up a GTE?

I have to say that I didn't used to be keen on quads until I drove my Exclusive at night- You can actually see where you're going and everything!!

BUT, its your baby so do what you need to enjoy it, it's still great to have another car in the fold and a new member on the forum.

Keep us updated please-and enjoy the car!!

:thumbup

Ok ok calm down calm down

I here what you are all saying and here goes.

No bodykit ok.

Quad yes as I need to see where I am going. The standard ones have lost the silvering.

Alloys yes as they have M+S tyres on them and this is my daily driver. Will revert back to the RoStyles in the spring.

Recaros yes but only if I can get them at a good price plus they would be re-trimmed to keep with the interior.

One thing I would like soon would be an FM radio in an old skool stylie so I can listen to my ipod. An old tape deck model would do.

Hope this sorts out a few worries for you guy's

Thanks again for the welcome and please if you think I need a reality slap now and then I don't mind

Ta,

Deano.

Hi and welcome from me too. Looks a nice car, don't listen to all those whingers, it's your car do what you like (but I like to see a nice original one too!).

Personally I don't think quads look right on the Cav's, but if you can get them cheap fit them and see if you like it. If not look out for a decent set of rectangulars and maybe uprate the bulbs.

Have you got a pic with the crosswires fitted, I can imagine they'll look good?

Hi and welcome from me too. Looks a nice car, don't listen to all those whingers, it's your car do what you like (but I like to see a nice original one too!).

Personally I don't think quads look right on the Cav's, but if you can get them cheap fit them and see if you like it. If not look out for a decent set of rectangulars and maybe uprate the bulbs.

Have you got a pic with the crosswires fitted, I can imagine they'll look good?

Here is a couple of pics with the BBS alloys.

I hope you like them fitted.

I though about getting a post 81 manta but to be honest they were costing far to much money and I would never have got one in the same condition as this with such low miles, remember I paid £970 for it with 38000 miles on it. :thumbup

Ta,

Deano.

post-44-1224692771.jpg

post-44-1224692792.jpg

Hi there and welcome. Have to agree that you have a beauty there! Must say the cav looks better standard than modded. If you decide to keep the original lights I have a brand new one I could sell. I guess you will have the shallow glass type on that age car. Mine has the deeper glass type so its no use to me. (Bought in error)

Cheers guy's I'm glad you like it.

I must admit it is good to drive it around as it gets lots of attention. I will be using it soon as my daily driver so I hope the winter is not to bad to it .

My wife is going to be using my 9-5 that you see in the background as her car is going back to RBS as they have sold her out to Tesco.

Cheers,

Deano.