New Opel Manta Project

Suzy

Guys,

Sorry havn't been on in a long time but been really busy with one thing and another.

Following on from this viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16794

Ther plan was to try to restore to original as far as possible, however with the recent downturn in the economic climate and restructuring with my employers coupled with the discovery of more rust than expected etc I have had to change plan.

The shell is is such a bad way to restore to original and mint is going to cost a fortune, so instead I am going to restore her in a different way and use her as a road going track car.

I have just purchased the shell from a 200sx to use the floorpan which believe it or not it is identical size to the manta both length and width (inc inner sills). This will replace the floor as one whole panel, then the rest will be fixed using the panels I have bought already. I have got a roll cage that fits and I am trying to source a 400 kit cheaply at present too. I will then use the original engine to start with. In future having used the 200sx floor if I want a bigger engine I can always use a 200sx engine and box, as I will keep the rear running gear from the shell.

I know this will probably not appeal to all, but with things as they are I cannot wait till I can afford to do it properly as I will probably just have a pile of rust I am however intending in the future to spend a bit more buying another manta for a full resto project.

Suzy

cool - sounds like an interesting project

which 200sx are you using - I'm thinking the S14 as I'm sure the S13 has a slightly shorter wheelbase

you've got to use the engine from the SX though - all that work and keep the std engine

jap turbo power - it's the way forward (and sideways) :thumbup

BTW, have you seen the morris minor/S13 project, give you inspiration/ideas.....

http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=219069

or

http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... read=35916

cool - sounds like an interesting project

which 200sx are you using - I'm thinking the S14 as I'm sure the S13 has a slightly shorter wheelbase

you've got to use the engine from the SX though - all that work and keep the std engine

jap turbo power - it's the way forward (and sideways) :thumbup

It's the S13 but the bit I need is the right length, would use the engine but it is only a shell the engine was gone before I got it and at present just cannot afford to do it. Also would like to learn the car with less power and then start to increase as I learn how it behaves.