refitting sunroof

BMD

hi, reposting in the new forum...

having diffs refitting sunroof to my '88 exc coupe; anyone done this or can advise how to get the 4 brackets screwed back up while getting the roof in the right position? problem seems to be with the lever/handle, should it be pulled down for refitting or left in the flat/closed position?

any help appreciated guys..

cheers

billy

The handle rotates cams that push on the springs.

Assemble it outside the car first so you are familiar with the fit and see how the handle operating cams, then strip and reassemble in the car.

If the roof doesn't lift up un-assisted re-tensioning the "springs" with the feet on by bending can help.

Get anything wrong and it will end in scratches probably.

thanks for the reply mantadoc :thumbup

i can see how the mechanism works ok but for some stupid reason the rear brackets are very difficult to screw back in; the front ones are a doddle and the roof slides perfectly with them on, but then trying to refit the rear brackets is causing the grief, they are hard to line up with the srew-holes and when i eventually get them screwed in the roof stops sliding :brick

ah well tomorrows another day...

cheers m8

Do you need to hook then onto the dowel / cam bit the handle operates before screwing them in?

Can't remember.

All I can say is softly softly or you will have a scratched roof.

When the handle is down there should be less pressure on the mounts as they spring against it to move the roof down.

Do you need to hook then onto the dowel / cam bit the handle operates before screwing them in?

yeah funny i was thinking that but wasn't sure either...i'll maybe give that a go and see what happens

cheers again m8

When the handle comes down maybe the "cams" push up on the spring things instead thus dropping the roof....... so maybe best fitting rear ones with roof all the way forward and handle up....

No idea at all now, but once you've done it you'll find it so easy.

I'm rubbish.. was '92 last time I did this for me. Have done a couple since but not this millenium.