Getrag Gearbox strip.

opelscott22

I have just received a reply from Metric Mech, no luck as they will not sell just parts. Shame really as it looks like they are doing some interesting work with the Getrag family!

I will try my friend as he is ex BMW with good contacts and I hadn't realised they shared the same GBX's.

What I am amazed at after ringing round countless 'reconditioners' is the responses. EG I asked what do they do in such situations? The reply's varied from "well mate we just find an old one and strip it for bits" to sorry we do not sell parts on there own. Come on, what are the chances of finding a 20+ year old second hand unit with good syncros and I worry more about the ones that confidently only offer a full in house rebuild??

The quest continues....

Regards Steve

Are the synchro parts the same for, say, third gear as second? If so you would strip an old box of it's third gear (less used) synchros and use them for second on the box to be repaired maybe?

Dunno just rambling.

Hi

Second gear syncro is different to the rest because it has less drive dogs supposedly to enable easier/faster change although dimension wise I think it is the same as the others, so in theory it might work. My problem is I have 2 gearboxes to rebuild and judging by the state of the first one I stripped, I think I will struggle to make one good one. Plus the other is still in use.

Thanks for the thought though,

Regards Steve

• 2 months later...

To All

I finally managed to get the 240 rebuilt. I got the syncros and some brg's and seals from BMW. I had to source rear mainshaft brg and oil seal elsewhere as this is different on the BMW. I didn't bother buying a rebuild kit from Maintrain, as they never answer the phone! The item that gave me the most grief was the speedo clip that secures the plastic gear to the mainshaft, as this was broken. It is the same as used in some Borg Warner T5 for future reference.

Apart from that it was pretty straightforward. I heated the casings with a propane torch whilst monitoring the temps-for ref cluster could be removed at 60deg and to confirm there are 4 main shims- mainshaft rear brg, mainshaft front brg x2 and layshaft brg. I ended up making one off shims to suit the casing dimensions as the range from BMW is very limited and I never checked availability either? I notice that the rebuild kits include gaskets, these are not fitted as the casing are sealed with sealant.

Regards Steve