Welder Arc Mig Or Gas

hoobby

hello so its come to this after having a good look at my manta i have discoverd it has more holes in it than something with lots of holes in it!.there is no way i can afford to get someone else to do it so i will have to.so which welder is best mig gas or arc ?.i will be welding outside as i have no garage .i will be welding floor pans,new jack points and yes chasis legs.

Get yourself a good MIG welder and rent a large gas bottle (BOC or Airproducts) the disspossable bottles dont last long

You can weld outside no trouble, just as long as the weather is OK, rain dont mix well with electricity and you cant MIG weld in strong wind,it blows the gas shield away.

mig is what i was thinking of what amp rate would be good as i will be doing chasis leg not sure of how thick the plate should be and is it possible to cut the outer skin away without cutting the inner so i can v grove and weld flush....nice and neat.

Get yourself off to a Machine Mart and go for a machine over 130 Amps as this will allow you a longer "Duty Cycle" (roughly translates to the amount of time a machine can be used at a given amps setting before the windings or coils start to heat up too much) Also the Machine Mart machines are good allround machines.

The Machiine Mart machines have a very very smooth wire feed system over some of the other machines I've used such as the SIP Machines for instance.

Gas....

As someone that has done a lot of industrial welding and had my own business producing fabricated welded stainless steel items I CANNOT see the point of ever going to the hassle of renting a large gas bottle, going through the rigmorol of setting up the bottle hire contract, and worst of all finding you have left the regulator on and found that by the time you go back to do some more welding the slight leak from where the regulator hasn't seated 1000% means you have to pay through the nose again for a re-fill..........

Simply put I've been using the disposable bottles for my MIG welding at home for years, they are cheap, readily available, and when you run out of Gas on a Sunday, you can simply nip down Halfords, B&Q or loads of other places to pick up a couple of bottles to carry on welding. I say a couple of bottles as I always have one as a spare.

I honestly cannot see the cost effectiveness of going for a big bottle for home welding.

Welding Chassis Legs

Yes mate it is possible to cut away the outer skin leaving the inner (thicker) strenghtener area in place, as you sound like you know what you are on about I would recommend going onto the RS Components website and ordering a few of the 1mm thick cutting discs, as the ones from RS are a very long lasting disc against a lot of other ones that I used and seem to disintegrate within a few minutes of use, you should find you get a lot of control with your grinder to finely cut into the chassis leg without cutting too deep into the chassis leg strenghtener.

thanks thats all i need to know if all goes well i should be back on the road for next year as work keeps me busy.before i go what if the inner skin is bad i know the engine has to come out is there any thing else i should do like bracing the legs ?