Oil Coming Through Breather Hose On 1.9 Model - Help.

hcreechan

Hi there, can anyone help. I'm driving a 1.9 Cavalier Coupe with a lovely quiet engine. Oil is very clean. It's developed a problem whereby driving (especially motorway driving) is causing actual oil to come up through the breather connected to the rocker cover and into the pancake air box. I've tried cleaning the oil breather hose (of course it was already clear otherwise the oil would not be coming through). I have to clean it every day or so but it affects the running as the oil is soaking the air filter and the rest of the carb. Hope someone out there can advise. This is a problem I've never came across, especially when the engine looks so clean. Is the oil failing to drain properly? Does the engine have a gallery through which the oil should drain? Thank you.

May not be the same prob but on my old Kadett i had a similar problem where as the oil was coming up the breather pipe and into the filter.

Has your oil been changed recently and how much did it have put in.

Found out on mine that it had been overfilled with oil so when pressure built up especialy when you put your foot down the oil came up the breather pipe.

May not be this thou.

hi there. if the engine is basicaly in good condition & theres not an excessive amount of breathing / pressure from the hose when the engine is fully warmed up & revved chances are that the oil seperator in the rocker cover is all gummed up.this can be removed by firstly removing rocker cover.then if you carefully bend back the tabs at one end you should be able to pull out the gauze from within.this can then be cleaned in petrol/parrafin or carb cleaner & refitted(also clean rocker cover out thouroughly making sure the drain holes are clear). pity they are not designed for easy removal /replacement .hopefully this should do the trick.

I've always removed the steel gauze from the rocker cover as I have never seen one yet that has not been gummed up to the eyeballs, all they ever seem to do is trap oil and send it into the inlet system, so I've always removed them and never had the prob of oil coming in.

Cleaning them out is all well and good, but getting the gauze back in is another story, have fun eh if you take this route.