Seen This A Series On Fleabay

Although it's not a lot of dosh, you'd be advised to do some checks. An attempted theft doesn't write it off since it hasn't actually been stolen, unless the seller was daft enough to try to claim for a new door lock on his insurance. Additionally if the insurance company have the log book and have paid out for something then this car is the property of the insurance company and not the seller. Even if you pay for the car, if it's not his to sell, then you'll get your fingers burnt.

Even if the sale is legitimate, you'll have to re-register it with another plate, perhaps even a Q plate if you don't have certain documents. Reshell another A with it would be more cost effective but what ever you do, be careful.

Very good point rick :thumbup

In 2000 my old coupe was written off by the insurance, because, the repair price would cost more than, the market value of the car.

The settlement for the insurance company, let me keep the car (scrap value). In 2002 I went to see a Fiat car, as a run-about motor (as it was cheap)

I phoned up my insurance company for a price I.E. how much it would cost to cover! (I will not buy a car until I know about insure costs first)

The company told me, the car was registered as a 'insurance write-off' and they wouldn't be able to offer me insurance!!!

I personally wouldn't offer more than, wot it's worth in parts.

Keith

It is listed as a Write Off

CONDITION

Transaction Date: 22/01/2009

Theft Indicator Literal: NOT STOLEN

MIAFT Entry Date: 22/01/2009

Loss Type: *

Theft Indicator: C (CAT C Uneconomic Repair Extensive Damaged)

Make: OPEL

Model: MAN

Where did you that information from Atlantean? Did you have to pay for it ?

I looked at the DVLA site and it looked ok.

I have access to part of the DVLA database from the SIMI car history search here in Ireland.

Let's face it, the car isn't properly described as per ebay rules. Although he's not legally oblidged to tell you the car is a catagory C write off (I'm surprised is a C and not D therefore there IS more up with it than meets the eye) a buyer would likely turn the car down unless he/she is after it for parts and at least that whould help keep a couple of A's going instead of it all being weighed in...

Without that logbook, I should really look into who legally owns it, but chances are the logbook has to be with the DVLA so it can't be put back on the road without an SVA or at least re-registration!?

It'll need a VIC check to go back on the road, one that's done a new V5 will be issued. It's very easy to have a car classified as a cat C, most assesors don't seem to bother with cat d. The cost of a door skin and paint would be enough to write the car off if it wasn't on agreed value. There are a lot of cars out there that have been cat c and subject to VIC. My Almera was one, had no problem insuring it.

If the car is declared Cat C then the V5 is retained by the insurance company, and I think returned to DVLA. A new one will only then be issued after a VIC check has been completed. The replacement will then show that the car has suffered damage and a VIC check has taken place.

If the car is declared Cat C then the V5 is retained by the insurance company, and I think returned to DVLA. A new one will only then be issued after a VIC check has been completed. The replacement will then show that the car has suffered damage and a VIC check has taken place.

Must be a newer thing then?

img010.jpg

Yeah, a young guy in a XR3i whack it :( That was in 2000 and the vauler guy knocked £50 (scrap value) off the final settelment price, for me to keep the manta.

I sold it on for £100, as spares :D with log-book :) If DVLA keep the V5 now? then thats a good thing! as I nearly got ripped off in 2002 with a insure-writ-off Fiat :angry:

To be honest, the VIC check only checks that the car isn't a ringer. It's no guarantee that the repairs have been done well. As long as you see the log book first though at least you'll see it's been damaged and had a VIC check. These rules are relatively new, not sure when they came in though.