Gearbox And Engine Advice Needed

Mantaboy83

Now that my Manta is back on the road I'm noticing things that need attention.

1: The gearbox mount is knackered which in turn has caused the gearbox - propshaft seal to deteriorate and leak. How difficult is this seal to change?

As for the mount, I want to replace it with a bespoke one like what is shown in this link http://www.vxopel.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4430, as I understand that getting hold of a genuine one is rather hard and costly.

There are a few rattles and strange noises coming from the gearbox at the moment, which I think have stemmed from the above problem. Hopefully they will go away once I've changed the mount and topped up the oil.

2: I've just changed the oil and filter on my Red Top engine. It's now got 5w40 fully synthetic in it. Although it runs better and feels more responsive, being a bit worn it is quite noisy. Would an oil additive like Wynn's Oil Treatment be ok to use to cure this?

Now that my Manta is back on the road I'm noticing things that need attention.

1: The gearbox mount is knackered which in turn has caused the gearbox - propshaft seal to deteriorate and leak. How difficult is this seal to change?

As for the mount, I want to replace it with a bespoke one like what is shown in this link http://www.vxopel.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4430, as I understand that getting hold of a genuine one is rather hard and costly.

There are a few rattles and strange noises coming from the gearbox at the moment, which I think have stemmed from the above problem. Hopefully they will go away once I've changed the mount and topped up the oil.

2: I've just changed the oil and filter on my Red Top engine. It's now got 5w40 fully synthetic in it. Although it runs better and feels more responsive, being a bit worn it is quite noisy. Would an oil additive like Wynn's Oil Treatment be ok to use to cure this?

the propshaft seal can be a bugger to get out,my mate did mine on his 4 poster ramp,got it out with a screwdriver and a mallet.and tap the new one in with a large socket or a drift.

better off with 10/40 in your redtop some are a tappy when cold

Last time i did a prop seal i screwed a couple of self tappers into it,

then used a screwdriver to lever between the back of the screw heads and side of gearbox to pull the seal out.

As for the engine oil, an addative might quieten the noises from the engine if it thickens the oil a bit

I would say 5/40 is a bit thin for an XE if its not a fresh build

Ah ok, so the Prop seal is a ramp job then. I've got no chance to do that before Friday! Will the prop & gearbox be ok for the journey to Santa Pod if I top it up with oil? I'm going to strive to get the mount done in time, but as a contingency is there anything I can do to it temporarily?

You've settled my suspicion that 5w40 was too thin, but it's not so bad as the oil pressure gauge is reading a more healthy pressure now! I'm gradually putting in the oil additive, taking the car for a run then checking the oil level each time. After a run last night she seems a bit more quieter.

Last one i did was on my drive with my trolley jack and 2 axle stands

I jacked it up from the side and crawled under to remove the prop

then wiggled to the rear of the gearbox and popped the seal out

before tapping the new one in with a hefty big socket as a drift

Took maybe 45mins (including a tea brake :thumbup )

Last one i did was on my drive with my trolley jack and 2 axle stands

I jacked it up from the side and crawled under to remove the prop

then wiggled to the rear of the gearbox and popped the seal out

before tapping the new one in with a hefty big socket as a drift

Took maybe 45mins (including a tea brake :thumbup )

Ah right I'm well seasoned to crawling around underneath the car, wishing I had shorter arms to reach things better! I still very much doubt I will be able to get it done before Friday though :(

Looking at the old mount, it seems to have twisted slightly as it's broken apart. Is this normal?

I managed to make up a new gearbox mount last Thursday, and the difference is very noticable. The gearbox doesnt wobble about at all now. It's had a very good road test (as I drove to PVS at the weekend) and hasn't fallen apart so am very pleased.

Would anyone be interested in seeing a couple of pics? The mount cost me only £20, plus a little time engineering it to fit.

• 1 month later...

Where the prop exits the gearbox, there seems to be quite a bit of play and it is leaking. Behind the gearbox/prop seal is there a bearing? If so, is it hard to replace as I think mine has worn out sad.gif

Where the prop exits the gearbox, there seems to be quite a bit of play and it is leaking. Behind the gearbox/prop seal is there a bearing? If so, is it hard to replace as I think mine has worn out sad.gif

With regaurds to the play at the front of the propshaft

Is the spring still there inside the nose of the prop?

If thats missing then you do get more movement.

I've no idea as I've not taken the prop out yet. If the spring is missing though, will that have caused excess wear in the bearing?

My geabox makes some worrying rattling noises when driving along which sound as though they are coming from the end of the gearbox where the prop exits.

My 'box is really confusing me as I thought the rattling, vibrating & whining noises eminating from it while driving were being caused by the gearbox running dry of oil due to the gearbox - prop seal leaking (which was caused by the old gearbox mount being fooked, allowing the 'box and prop to bounce around). I checked the oil level last night and it only needed a little top-up.

The noises are most noticeable on long motorway drives, and I can feel the vibration and heat coming through the gearstick gaitor.