White Gold Berlinetta

carlt1970

I have just started getting my newly purchased 1987 Manta B Berlinetta back to a good standard.i took the front wings off to find a lot of rot that had been covered up with a mixture of blue roll,filler and underseal.When i grinded all the bodge repairs on the o/s/f away i found the door pillar skin rotten the panel next to it rotten,wing rail didnt exist,inner wing holed in the usual places and the inner wing where it meet the nose cone completely knackered.I bought some Vactan rust converter and primer which is superb in killing rust dead and primes it as well ready for filling and then painting.Then i started on the passenger side only to find more tin worm,inner wing rotten and the worst part i found when lifting the carpet was the floor above the jacking point was completely gone,im so glad i didnt jack it up on there lol.I have now cut all the rot away and replaced with nice new metal some of which was fabricated by a very good friend of mine which made the job so much easier.I am now in the process of wax oiling the whole underneath of the car to protect it a little longer.I will upload some pics and you can make up your own mind to see if this car should have ever passed an mot.

Hi Carl, nice to see the post and nice to meet you yesterday, you are welcome to pop round mine for a butchers at my stuff.

Carl used to own Mantas when they were newer and therefore less rusty!! Yes his hatch needs a bit of the "usual" but it is a very clean car overall. Unfortunatley it has been patched up before which means the work is greater now. But he's doing a good job there and it will be a very nice one when finished.

Look forward to seeing you at some of our meets!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Carl, nice to see the post and nice to meet you yesterday, you are welcome to pop round mine for a butchers at my stuff.

Carl used to own Mantas when they were newer and therefore less rusty!! Yes his hatch needs a bit of the "usual" but it is a very clean car overall. Unfortunatley it has been patched up before which means the work is greater now. But he's doing a good job there and it will be a very nice one when finished.

Look forward to seeing you at some of our meets!!

Hi James all the welding is finished now after finding some more on the rear inner sills and rear arches,i have sourced a brown recaro for it as well so happy days.I will pop round to have a look at yours.

• 1 month later...

Hi James all the welding is finished now after finding some more on the rear inner sills and rear arches,i have sourced a brown recaro for it as well so happy days.I will pop round to have a look at yours.

manta2.jpg

manta1.jpg

This is the car nearly ready for painting now so not far off

• 2 months later...

From Opel's point of view there was ever only A & B manta's, there was never a Manta C, this is term used in this country which may have stemmed from the 'CC' tag which refers to the Combi Coupe (hatch) version of the Manta.

A Vauxhall Manager i know said that B series Manta's were refered to within the company as B mark 1 - two slot nose cone, B mark 2 - GTE Manta, B mark 3 - 1800 Manta and B mark 4 - Exclusives.

• 3 months later...

Hi Carl

Just noticed that your a 'bretta man. You running any at the moment? Used to have a cutdown SX with a 175 MBD engine, no i did't cut it down before i get strung up, wish i never sold it but cars got in the way.

I'll have to start saving again, are they still fetching silly money or have the prices come down a bit?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Carl

Just noticed that your a 'bretta man. You running any at the moment? Used to have a cutdown SX with a 175 MBD engine, no i did't cut it down before i get strung up, wish i never sold it but cars got in the way.

I'll have to start saving again, are they still fetching silly money or have the prices come down a bit?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy yeh i am running a gp150 at the mo i am also building a lammy chop and a spanish li and yeh they are still going for stupid money at the mo if your interested i am going to be sel;ling the spanish li when its finished

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing it Carl; as per my post in your headlights wanted thread; I also have a load of belinetta spares you might be interested in... rubbing strips, alloys, and so on,...

hopefully see you at some meets soon

I was chatting to James last week and the funny thing was the day i brought it back from being painted there was a meeting at the hungry horse and i drove straight past the pub with the freshly painted car on the back what a bummer lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...