Manta 1.8S

opelscott22

I picked up my new toy today, round trip from Inverurie to Coventry to pick up a Manta 1.8S.

Its in pretty good condition, the rear arches are good, its had sills in the past, got a rotten tailgate and theres a dodgy repair to the the roof skin behind the sunroof.

Its still fitted with its 1.8 engine but it doesnt run. Its got a Varijet carb on it and its a bit goosed, any ideas what I can replace it with?(other than the redtop Ive got in the garage....)

Scott

DSCN0744.jpg

DSCN0743.jpg

Howdy. Nice looking car that mate, I do really like 1.8 hatches and you've got the bonus of quad lights and side skirts which look really good with that glacier white (I'm assuming it's not polar white as it looks quite glossy in the pics). It doesn't have any side repeaters which on a D plate, may be an issue for you at it's next MOT maybe? As for a replacement carb, easy options are buy a recon or just second hand varijet2 as there seem to be plenty about as not many people like them, or www.tuning.co.uk should still supply the straight swap Weber DTML carb brand new which is supplied as a kit for the 1.8S. There's also a bolt on K&N that fits both the varijet and DTML which'll let you do away with the ugly airbox.

Keep us posted, this should make a nice motor.

thanks for the replies!, the blue GTE went to a guy in edinburgh. Regretted it as soon as I sold it...

the paint is about 4-5 different shades of white, once I sort the rust issues(mainly the roof) its getting a respray.

I need to do somthing about the interior, my god is it ugly!!!! may swap it for GTE recaros if I can find some. :rolleyes:

Scott