Just Bought Vauxhall Sportshatch

Hi to everyone.

I've just bought a vauxhall sportshatch off ebay.

I used to own a 1978 Manta B coupe [best car i ever had] in 1982 and am now trying to remember things about the car.

Anyway a question 1 am sure you've been asked before, Can a 1.6 litre 1980 sportshatch run on unleaded or should i use an additive and run on super unleaded.

Also as my name implies i also own a 1973 Sunbeam Rapier fastback and would like to take my new car [Vauxhall sportshatch]to some shows, what shows are on during July & August.

Thanks

Dave

Hi

I live in the Bristol area,

I would like to go to Billing Aquadrome on 11th or 12th July and wondered can i take the vauxhall i've just bought and park it in a general show area [not club stands]

or is it to late to enter car.

I went to the show at Billing a couple of years ago as a visitor to see the cars, but wondered is it possible to just turn up in a classic vauxhall and pay to enter or just park in the general car parks.

Thanks

Dave

With regards to running unleaded, assuming the car hasn't had the head converted you can use an additive. I use Castrol Valvemaster Plus, which has an octane booster as well as a lead replacement, so I can run on standard unleaded. If you're going to do a lot of miles or drive the car hard you'll need to get the head converted at some point as the additive won't provide enough protection under extreme conditions.

I don't think there's anything stopping you bringing your Cav to Billing, but you'll need to park it in the public parking area unless you join a VBOA affiliated club (like the OMOC).

Wherabouts in Bristol Dave? James ('Stradacab' on here) lives Bradley Stoke way (I'm in Chepstow), and we are currently building a 400r manta in his garage... check out the link in my siggy.

James attends the South Wales shows as there doesn't seem to be a rep for the Bristol area. You are more than welcome to come along to any shows with us.

Also, for billing we normally organise a big convoy including people us South Wales lot, and anyone from Cornwall/south etc.

You can pay for billing on the door. As long as you are a member of the OMOC you can enter your car into the concourse etc.

If you want to hear about the South Wales events, get in touch with me.

Thanks for the replies.

I've just paid my money and joined the club but have now had a dreadful thought, do you guys welcome a Vauxhall cavalier sports hatch into the club.

I know they were built in the same factory with minor diffences [badges/front] but suddenly thought you may have club rules preventing vauxhall owners contaminating the club :rolleyes:

Assuming everthing is ok is it possible at this late stage to get a windscreen pass to enable me to exhibit the car with the other Manta owners.

Thanks for the replies.

I've just paid my money and joined the club but have now had a dreadful thought, do you guys welcome a Vauxhall cavalier sports hatch into the club.

I know they were built in the same factory with minor diffences [badges/front] but suddenly thought you may have club rules preventing vauxhall owners contaminating the club :rolleyes:

Assuming everthing is ok is it possible at this late stage to get a windscreen pass to enable me to exhibit the car with the other Manta owners.

Mk1 Cavaliers (and their owners) are more than welcome in the club, in fact the treasurer has a Sports Hatch. I've sent you a pm regarding the Billing pass. There's time to get one to you if you're quick.

Hi

Yes it was the red one, hoping to pick it up Friday.

That will allow me to upset the wife and spend all weekend tinkering on the car :)

Dont worry it happens....

I have a 4 Door saloon I 'should' be at Billing in, its a good weekend. Good to see another Cavalier even though its not quite the same car... :blink:

Welcome. Defo bring it to billing the OMOC even has a class for them :thumbup I shall be bringing a sports hatch and one other but havnt decided which yet. depends on the weather ;)

im glad this car is going to a good home and i will still get to see it at shows e.t.c, she runs fine on unleaded dave with a bit of aditive now and again, and there a good bunch ere mate, now you got this one ive still got me 4 door saloon and they still welcome me with open arms lol, altough i am showing with cavalier and chevette club at billing, sorry!!!!!!

Hi and welcome to the club, The cavalier is welcome here and a lot of us have them as my name suggests "Cavtastic" We are not as plentiful as the Manta clan here but owning both certainly gets you in to both beer tents and Billing :thumbup

Only joking we are altogether in one tent. Can you post some pictures up of your "Arrow" range Rapier please - What a lovely looking car: ate Mk1 Capri's for breakfast. Does it have the Holbay engine fitted?

My link

picture of rapier on link above, as you can see its very blue, but it is the original colour [carribean blue] and is a 1973 non Holbay model e.g. only twin strombergs. It is now 36 years old and has only done 27000 miles from new.

It will now have to share shows with the Cavalier Sportshatch :)

Picked up the car today.

A big thank you to Retrovauxhall for selling me a great car, iam well pleased.

Hopefully i can make it to Billing, might camp Saturday night.

Is anyone going up from the Bristol area or South Wales early Saturday morning, maybe we could meet up at Leigh Delamare services?