Advise On Repairing /painting Silver 14" Ronals

dynamytedan

my wheels are starting to look a bit messy , with tar spots all over one of them and a few rust bubbles and scufs on the others .

so i want to sort all the mess out and repaint them in the same or very similar silver .

just after a bit of advise on getting it right please

what paint to buy for the same as original silver ?

what primer to buy ? primer filler? grey , yellow ?

can i just use normal filler for the rust? or would stopper be better ?

do i treat the cleaned up rusty bit with anything before filling ?

is the opel logo on the hub cap in black? if so, how would i recreate that ? a small paint brush?

thats the jist of it... any suggestions welcome :)

get them refurbished there is a firm down here in swindon for about 40 quid a wheel will make it look like new and do any repairs needed this is the best option they are called Lepsons.I will try to find the phone number for you if you are interested.

get them refurbished there is a firm down here in swindon for about 40 quid a wheel will make it look like new and do any repairs needed this is the best option they are called Lepsons.I will try to find the phone number for you if you are interested.

thanks but that might be a bit on the expensive/far away side for my budget ,it is appealing tho , for a perfect finish ..

ill consider looking up repairer neerer to me in barnet , altho £160 sounds like alot for painting old wheels , part the way towards some nice revolutions

id like to do it myself for the experience . perhaps not the best option , but id like to try all the same .

If the budget doesnt stretch that far i would buy a silver that matches the original colour dont bother with the old silver wheel paint you can get it tends to look too dark buy the primer that suits the top coat and finish off with a decent coat of laquer just make sure that the prep work is right before painting like normal dont rush them.

thanks but that might be a bit on the expensive/far away side for my budget ,it is appealing tho , for a perfect finish ..

ill consider looking up repairer neerer to me in barnet , altho £160 sounds like alot for painting old wheels , part the way towards some nice revolutions

id like to do it myself for the experience . perhaps not the best option , but id like to try all the same .

The secret is of course in the preparation .Without seeing them I can only suggest that you get rid of all flaking paint which I guess will be where the balance weights were clamped ( there will be no rust as they are alluminium ) and make good any imperfections using car body filler. I've restored several sets of wheels over the years and recently did a set of Omega Elite alloys . On these I was eager to get the finish as near to factory spec as I could. After looking into it I discovered that all German origin wheels are painted with "Wurth " paints . It's more expensive than your off the shelf aerosols but the difference in quality is immense. The metallic particles are slightly bigger and it "works" very well.It's freely available of E bay and order two or three cans to allow for several coats per wheel . The only laquer to use is U-Pol clear No 1 which is UV resistent and stays crystal clear .

To get a good finish is a time consuming job as several light coats of paint are required to build up the coating and then the same has to be done with the laquer . I apply about 5 or six light but complete coats and then allow to harden for a couple of days. Once cured I flat back to a smooth finish using 1500 and 2000 production paper with loads of water with a drop of Fairy Liq in it. Then they can be cut and polished to a deep lustre.

You will have to paint the centre caps at the same time and then carefully blacken the blitz logo using a small paint brush.

The best advice I can give is don't rush it allow plenty of time for each stage and consider the fact that to do it right it will cost getting on for 50% of the cost of them being professionally refurbed and that's without factoring in your time !

If you look at any new or newish GM alloy you will see the type of finish that Wurth paint gives.

Good luck.

Don

thanks very much Don , thats exactly what i needed to know .

theres only one problem ... its my daily drive .

ill have to start with the spare and go through them one at a time .

that will likely make them all come out slightly different ....

ill make a start next week gathering supplys and put up some pics as i go hopfully .