1.8 Gearbox Help

sycokadett

ok looking for some advice please thumbsup.gif

got a kadett with a 1800 manta engine and box on twin 40,s , well today when i finished work was chatting to collegue and he was asking about performance and ifit was ahandfull in the wet

by this time it was dry so in the empty car parkdecided to have a wee play , first mistake , dropped the clutch at 3/4 throtttle to light up tyres and heard bang , cue loads of smoke and a nasty noise and clutch pedal flat to floor , looked under car and cable still intact but clutch arm now loose , had to drive home in 2nd gear as wouldn;t select gears or release , untill engine switched off sad.gif

my question before i strip it out is do you think i've broken the release arm or does this sound like a worn clutch giving up the ghost

Feel stupid for trying it now but tooooo late sad.gif

any advice other than not to so stupid again would be greatly received

If the clutch plate or cover was worn out you wouldn't be going anywhere.

The arm can come off the ball and slide out.

You can work it back onto the ball if it happens but have to be careful to make sure it tngages the two pins in the groove on the release bearing. Not as hard as it sounds.

Plus... the rubber blank on the other side gives some visibility.

I've done it but it may not be your prob. If arm seems lose then it may be.

Oh yeah, take no notice of me.

thanks for advice , tried to relocate the clutch arm but after three hours of wrestling i decided to bite the bullet and remove the box . the clutch is knackered and only just had clutch material left on it

definatelty dead and the pressure plate has two broken fingers sad.gif

by looks of it was lucky i only live 3 miles from work

so now need a new clutchkit ,was using the 1800 friction plate with a gsi astra pressure plate ,can anyone recomend a stronger alternative please smile.gif

what im runnin in one of my mantas is a calibra turbo paddle clutch works perfect and same spline as 1.8 manta , it will never fail you , well i have it in a standardish redtop and the car gets nothing but hard abuse and clutch never fails great for kickin it out in the first 3 gears although it can be severe in traffic its either on or off very little in betweeen

what im runnin in one of my mantas is a calibra turbo paddle clutch works perfect and same spline as 1.8 manta , it will never fail you , well i have it in a standardish redtop and the car gets nothing but hard abuse and clutch never fails great for kickin it out in the first 3 gears although it can be severe in traffic its either on or off very little in betweeen

cheers for reply and advice , will price up the calibra turbo clutch , like to play with my car and it does get a fair bit of abuse , wasn't built to be driven slowly , i take it this would also be fine when i 16v it