Chassis Leg Bolts

Fasterthanyou

Nylock nuts seem to be the done thing these days, my new track rod ends have them over the castle nut with locking pins as do the lower ball joints. I should hope providing they're torqued up properly they'd hold just as well as the split pin, but it's easier to have more confidence in them.

I needed to use my windy gun to get the subframe/chassis rail bolts out so I'm guessing I'd need to put them back in with it, trouble is that doesn't have torque settings! Just forward and back'ard!!

Nylock nuts seem to be the done thing these days, my new track rod ends have them over the castle nut with locking pins as do the lower ball joints. I should hope providing they're torqued up properly they'd hold just as well as the split pin, but it's easier to have more confidence in them.

I needed to use my windy gun to get the subframe/chassis rail bolts out so I'm guessing I'd need to put them back in with it, trouble is that doesn't have torque settings! Just forward and back'ard!!

To be honest I would trust Nylocks anywhere but on the suspension, my school of thought is if it had castles and split pins to start with then it should be replaced with the same, that may sound a bit petty but its got me by thus far! but then again I dont spose Nylocks were readily available when our cars were put together and if they had been they probably would have used em so I guess if they are Torqued properly then it shouldnt be an issue, Just listen out for the strange knocking sound everytime you meet a speed bump and you will know if they are any good or not :blink:

As long as you only use a nylock once it should be ok but for extra piece of mind you torque everything up then drill a small hole, about 1-1.5mm, through the nut and bolt and then pass so locking wire through it.

Cheers

Andy

If these are the large ones that go through the rear of the front suspension and chassis legs (the ones that usually rust in place), these used to be available from OCP as new old stock. I can't remember if they were a tenner each or a tenner for the pair. I bought a few sets a few years ago which I still have. They didn't come with nuts or washers though.