Colour Change?

85_GT/E

Hi thanks for everyone's replies about my engine problem, i got an exclusive engine and made it to billing this year!!!!

Anyway i have a GT/E Hatch in white which sum nut case has welded a roll cage in and removed all the interior also has put a daft jap style back box on it.

I am getting a full interior for it a nice exhaust system and doing lots of body work on it i.e new front wings, doors, new repair panels for both inner wings and lots of welding to floor and chassis legs etc!!!!

My problem is the car needs a full re-spray and i love the colour dolphin grey, i no i should stay with white but there are so many white mantas out there and at Billing this year i didn't see one dolphin grey Manta.

The car wont be standard any way so shall i go with the colour change or not?????

I am still after some 400 mirrors for my car and a nice Irmscher twin head light conversion set!!!!!!!!!!!! is there any out there for sale????????

I say go for the colour you want, Dolphin grey looks nice, my manta should be painted in the next week or so, and will be BMW red with a super black nose, bonnet & tail gate, there will be many that wont like.....!

Deffo go with the dolphin grey if that's the colour you want. I don't think anyone would criticise you on spraying in an available manta colour even if they are really anal about originality.

Also, if the roll cage is a proper job for the manta (rather than one made out of scaffold bits) you could probably sell it for near enough what a pair of quads and 400 mirrors would cost you, which are quite pricey if you want the genuine irmscher and englemanns respectively. I've just bought some of the Tawain copies of the 400 mirrors and despite hearing how poo the quality is for £15 the pair, as long as they're a 10th the quality of the englemanns I'd still be happy with them :unsure: Famous last words!! As for the quad lights, just keep a look out on ebay or the mantaclub classifieds.

Unless you already have the interior sorted I do have a the later type grey recaro seats for the hatch, which I'll be flogging once I've managed to source a good condition early recaro set.

Hi mate thanks for the offer for the interior how much will you be wanting for it???? and wot is the condition of all seats ect and will it come with door cars as i have non at all at the minute!!!!

I was thinking when i get the roll cage out to put it on ebay it is a proper 1 its a OMP cage, i also have a set of nice 17" tsw alloys and a manta 400 bonnet to put on as well to fund the manta.

I am new to the club i was in it years ago but lost contact with the club then i sold my mantas but you never loose the manta bug so when i saw 1 on ebay down the road i had to have it even if it is a rot box!!!

what i need is all the interior bits and bobs i.e sun visors, grab handels, lower fuse box cover for the dash where would you suggest to try to get hold of these bits????

Thanks again Paul

dolphin grey is my favorite hatch colour even though i'm doing my hatch in BMW titanium :rolleyes:

At billing this year i went straight over to a dolphin grey hatch on the concours and said ohhhhhhhhhhhh i like

White is easy to paint though compared to dolphin grey

I do hope one day the Barry manta with the jap can will die out, surely there can't be many mantas to Barry anymore?

....and i can supply you with GENUINE engelmanns, new used painted or unpainted, as i said i ONLY do genuine mirrors not the taiwan crap.

I can't wait to see how crap these chinese mirrors are (there's a 1-2 week delivery) if they are that bad I can use these on my hatch and get a decent pair for the V8.

85_gt/e, I replied to your PM mate. As soon as I find an early interior for my hatch I'll let you know.

I also like dolphin grey or orient blue ,i have not seen a manta in orient blue in ages. when i bought my manta i thought it was dolphin grey i later then found out it was steel grey.

at billing on sunday i had hoped to see another steel grey manta .does anybody in the club have one?

I can't wait to see how crap these chinese mirrors are (there's a 1-2 week delivery) if they are that bad I can use these on my hatch and get a decent pair for the V8.

Rick, i have only heard bad reports about the taiwan mirrors, i was also told that they were a lot bigger than the genuine engelmanns, and also have victory stamped on them where the engelmann logo should be, so the copies would be easy to spot, for me its going to be genuine items all the way, but obviously im going to say that, having the stock of mirrors that i have, me thinks that i will have to buy a set of the taiwan ones just to see how bad they are.

There was a set of 'victory' mirrors for sale at billing. Picked them up for a closer look.

I widnae buy them for a kids toy car. Extremely lightweight and flimsy. Wouldnae fancy them staying in one piece in a strong breeze, never mind should anything actually touch them.

You gets what you pay for in this case.

Bigger than the englemanns :lol: Yes, the set I'm 'trialing' are the victory ones, I think the parcelforce bloke tried to deliver it today but I'm on nights so was fast asleep and now I've got an hour long drive to pick the f**kers up from their depot!! Anyhow it's a shame they're visibly different from the englemanns as I thought the chinese makers would have made a mould out of copying a proper englemann body, still they can't be worse than the standard manta mirrors on my hatch (which are broken/don't adjust I should add)..... or maybe they are!?

Incase anyone is interested I got the cheapo victory mirrors today. To be honest I wasn't overly disappointed with them as firstly for £15 and a few pence (dollar exchange rate varies price) the quality of the mirror glass and the body moulding I have seen far worse on after market mirrors sold in the UK as quality items for £30-£50. The seller of these don't describe them as 400 mirrors, they're just 'sporty' aftermarket ones. Good job really as the width of the mirror as Paul has already mentioned is 1.5x that of an englemann which is a bit disappointing but if you don't think of them as 400 mirrors, just an alternative manta mirror then you can't go far wrong. The other let down is the mounting foot has a plastic insert which unusually for chinese budget stuff fits snugly. They've got a rubber gasket thingy, however that whole concept is ruined because they include 2 tiny self tappers to hold the insert to the car, which'll fall off. You will need to find small bolts to replace them with and also the foot is held to the insert with a long self tapper which, although I haven't fitted them yet, is very bodge had it been a clip-on type of system then that would have been much better. Though they have even bothered to include some screw covers.

Basically, will I have another pair for the V8? No, I'll want 400 mirrors for that, these victory ones are loosely based on the style but aren't and also because the carburettor for the V8 costs £600, £100 for something which stick out each side of the car doesn't seem much in comparison. Will I fit these to the hatch? Yes, and I'm quite confident they'll be better looking than my flat standard mirrors which seem not to want to adjust.

To get kinda back on topic (colour change) it depends on what level of respray you are talking about. To change colour you will need a bare shell respray, engine etc out jobbie. you'll need to do the back of doors, boot and bonnet and of course the engine bay. As yours is a htach you'll also have colour in the boot. IMO it doesnt look the best to have a great looking respray only to open a door etc and see a different colour on the inside.

Just think, changing the colour will cost about twiceas much as a respray in the same colour (unless you plan that level of resto anyway).

Good point there Mark. Surely it'll still be okay to remove the doors, bootlid and bonnet so with the carpet holders and seals removed you can spray nearly every visible area? When I've gone from Sapphire Blue Acrylic to my Jet black celly, I'm not planning on spraying the underside of the roof, inside the doors (behind the cards), under carpets, dash and the inner boot space (although the full bootlid and shuts will be) As I'm going for an engine swap the old engine is out and I'm going heaterless so that's easy for me although yes it'll be a real pickle to colour change with all this in-situ especially with the heater and bulkhead.

i'd say go for the dolphin grey , in my opinion its one of the best colours for a hatch , but ultimately its your call , good luck either way thumbsup.gif

Where would i get the splitter, seen it on c reg coupe purple on a omoc mag about 10 years ago looks brill

Where would i get the splitter, seen it on c reg coupe purple on a omoc mag about 10 years ago looks brill

i assume you mean the one on my picture ? got mine from germany but if you look in the for sale bit martin (mello yello) has one that has been altered but could be made right again with a little work , hope thats of some use :thumbup

On the subject of colour, it's your car, you do it as you want it and be damned what anyone else thinks!

As for anal purists, a certain older member called William (of Green Dragon fame) told me many years ago, when looking at my multi-coloured mis-match of a car ...

"The point of the club is to keep these cars from dissappearing off our roads! Condition doesn't matter, as long as they are out there!"