To Add A New Section For Novel Things Made From Mantas

This years inclusion of a barbicue into the modified section,was close to destroying some of the younger members enthusiasm for the show, and since they are the future of the club, i think that careful thought should be taken as to add another section of the concourse to things made of mantas,andnot included as modified,as they cannot be judged in the same way,ie lack of engine, interior,etc alsoi think members should try and judge the cars soley on the cars merits opposed to who they belong too,then we may have a fair and true club that reflects the catergories that have been agreed, yours beautiful manta

This years inclusion of a barbicue into the modified section,was close to destroying some of the younger members enthusiasm for the show, and since they are the future of the club, i think that careful thought should be taken as to add another section of the concourse to things made of mantas,andnot included as modified,as they cannot be judged in the same way,ie lack of engine, interior,etc alsoi think members should try and judge the cars soley on the cars merits opposed to who they belong too,then we may have a fair and true club that reflects the catergories that have been agreed, yours beautiful manta

Although I was unable to get to Billing due to work commitments,I've seen the pics including the barbi' and thought what a great idea, did it win a prize or something?......what's wrong with a Manta barbi??

Confused?(doesn't take much!).

John.

It was entered for the fun factor nothing else and that's great , However it did win a prize and knocked out a rather nice wee Manta from either 3rd or 4th place. So looking at the flip side of the coin the young chap who's manta got knocked out by a BBQ trailer wasn't best pleased. We all love our cars and hold them in high regard so you can see why the chap was annoyed.

As beautiful manta says maybe a wee fun award would be good for a laugh at Billing without interfering with the concours results.

Only fault I had with the trailer, Martin should of had it filled with beer for the Omoc Saturday piss up biggrin.gif

I agree with both points and I was going to bring this up but as I was already whinging about the rule changes, I held back as I don't want the organisers or founders of the new rules to think I'm questioning their efforts, so I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking all this. The barbeque was an halarious idea but I really felt for Emmanuelle Pirie (please excuse spelling) as his car lost out of third place to something which although is technically a modified manta, it is not a car anymore it's a concourse for cars not trailers. I've nothing against Martin though, his work is excellent and his Ascona is very smart and I appreciate that it was entered as a novelty, but given the fact that perhaps a trailer should be entered 'with' a car (ie as the same entry) then that'll be beneficial to those wanting to vote for the trailer as part of the car. The paintwork and general finish of the trailer was similar to my hatch, not concourse, so why anyone voted for it over Emmanuelles hatch which isn't at the level of the purple V8 or the 3 litre, it did have a nice paint job and the man's owned that car for years as does all his own work, so a token 3rd would have been a way to show some appreciation to what is the clubs main objective.

It was nice to see the new rules slightly edited (people are listening to me/you/us not just stuck in their own ideas) so there was some leaniency, but perhaps it should be taken seriously enough to determine a novelty entry. This is from a bloke that does not own a concourse manta, but if I did and lost to a microwave with a manta badge stuck on the back, I'd be furious. In fact how many votes did Emmanuelles hatch get (I know of at least 1) and what's his home address? There's a trophy maker in town and I feel like buying him one, same as Simon of Suffolk County Mantas does sometimes.

Thanks for the replies,and the positive reasoning, im all for fun and think its a great addition to concourse as long as such items are in a class of there own,Emmanuel is very proud of his car and a recognition of his hard work would have been nice, all youngsters joining the club should be encouraged ,keep up the replies as its nice to hear everyones opinions ,thumbsup.gif

Emmanuel

Ah! Please forgive my ignorance on the spelling there. I remember speaking to him at Billing 2005 or 2006 when he was cleaning up his very colourful engine bay. One of my mantas is similar to his, the red hatch with black viper stripes which I had in intermediate, not that we'd have stood any chance in that line-up either but at least all the entries were cars! :lol:

I was parked next to the bbq trailer and I has loads of people asking me about it oddly?? One person asked "excuse me, is that a trailer?", I replied "uh! yes" then muttered under my breath what the **** else do you think it is? I do beleive she voted for it.

I too think the club made a mistake allowing 'half a car' to take a prize in the concours.

Yes a 'Manta BBQ' is very clever and amusing but when people look back in years to come at what the standard of Manta's was in 2009 this wont look that good.

No disrepect to Martin and his creation,it's clever and was very well done and worthy of recognition,Yes. Awarded a concours prize,No.

What i do find a real shame is that the pick-up Manta was cut up to make the BBQ.