Clutch On An Xe Conversion

Mantaboy83

I do mine now by removing both engine and box together from car then replace clutch and return them both back in..

Would be much easier if I had a lift then I would just remove box but I have to slum it out on the floor with jacks and stands.

Have done them on the floor and just removed the box but its not a fun job and sometimes takes longer than engine out if your on your own and the sod wont go back cause you aint lined it up right. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

I do mine now by removing both engine and box together from car then replace clutch and return them both back in..

Would be much easier if I had a lift then I would just remove box but I have to slum it out on the floor with jacks and stands.

Have done them on the floor and just removed the box but its not a fun job and sometimes takes longer than engine out if your on your own and the sod wont go back cause you aint lined it up right. :angry:

With you there Sean, that box gets really heavy when you are under the car with it on your chest and it just won't go in again and again. To top the fun off, you bolt it all back together and find out you have put the friction plate in the wrong way and you can't get a gear.... Oh how we laughed :rolleyes:

If you can get the car well up in the air it's better, the bolts around the bellhousing aren't the best to get at. From memory, prop off, reverse light wiring off, speedo cable off, clutch cable off( mark up thread to get pedal correct when it goes back in)remove interior center console and gearstick surround ( Rutts would say take stick off but he has 8 foot long arms and alien fingers :lol: ) Gearbox support off, press gear leaver down , wiggle the box until your arms drop off and support box on your chest, have a brew.

New clutch on, align using an old input shaft from a broken getrag box or clutch aligning tool, wiggle box back on until your arms drop off, have a brew. connect up.

20xe friction plate, 1.8 release bearing, 20 GTE pressure plate. Rule on clutches for these, curly pressure plate flat release bearing, flat pressure plate round release bearing. Don't even get talking about pot type flywheels compared to flat ones :)

If you struggle i can get you anything you need, PM me

Mantadave knows my clutches :thumbup

Kev

got changing clutches down to an art. on floor with four small car ramps had a gearbox out new one in and new one back out (f**cked) in one afternoon.( i was really happy doing this) can get 16v manifold off, centre console out, gearstick off, prop off and bellhousing bolts out in 30mins. drain oil while having a cup of coffee drop gearbox mount off,lower box on floor in just over an hour. :o cant wait for my 2 post ramp to be up and running. spare input shaft makes lining up clutch easy. if you have an old getrag box take it apart and keep the input shaft.