Gearbox And Engine Removal.. Joined?

Blockhead

Having never removed either separately from a Manta, I'd like to know if it's possible to leave the engine bolted up to the gearbox and hoist them out in one go.

My engine is dieing so that's why it's coming out but my gearbox output seal (and rubber mount) is also knackered and I'm guessing that's easier to change while you're not lying under it?

In a Range Rover I prefer taking the engine and box out together if the gearbox needs removing... Seeing as the Manta has a large engine bay in common, is it easy enough to pull them in one go?

Cheers.

pops out no probs all together. just remember to catch the gearbox oil when the prop

pop outs:) dont know what sort of lift youve got but it will need to go quite high

to clear the body with the box on, easy with 2 peaple. hope this helps mate.

Yeah, no contest, take it out as a pair as it makes it so much easier to replace the unit rather than trying to mount up to the engine to the box and line-up the clutch not to mention the gearbox bolts that can be a bugger to refit when you are laid on your back under the car working with sockets on extension bars.

Possibly think about removing the front bumper to get the engine hoist close enough for a clean lift and to achieve that part run the front wheels onto blocks of wood so the crane legs will go cleanly under the front wishbones. Lots of protective blankets or such like for the nose of the car as the tail of the g/box will be hanging low as you pull the lot out and, as has allready been said, pack the tailshaft bearing up with rags or form a plug to stop the oil running out. Dont forget to remove the gearlever from the box and the reverse light switch wires before you try to move anything.

Best of luck, its not such a hard task just be methodical and take your time, once its out you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Cheers, Colin.

pops out no probs all together. just remember to catch the gearbox oil when the prop

pop outs:) dont know what sort of lift youve got but it will need to go quite high

to clear the body with the box on, easy with 2 peaple. hope this helps mate.

As for height... I can lift the V8, gearbox and transfer box with handbrake drum out in one go from my Range Rover and the bonnet is as good as level with my Manta's roof :P (Not so much a hoist as a chain block hung from a steel beam we fitted).

Thanks for mentioning the oil though... undoubtedly would have forgotten it! Is there any circlips or anything like the horrid driveshafts in sh!t wheel drives?

No ramps as such no... Must be easier to mate the little dinky gearbox to the engine out of the car also?

Thanks for the replies.

If yuv awe old quilt or bit carpet cover front panel as saves fae oni scratches ocurrin, rear owe gearbox I put one trolley jack so as when hoistin engine und box it trundles forward and up and oot nae probs, also raised front owe motor to give more clearance for box when engine sump is aboot lying over front panel.

Lifted oot on block und tackle aff beam in garage,would like awe engine hoist mi sell though.

Just tak yur time und work safely and mind yur digits as they kin bi lost in awe blink owe yur een!!