Brake Caliper Replacement

Leon

I need to refresh my brakes and would like to use new calipers. I currently have the later Delco ones on my 1.8 which are prone to siezing and so I'd like to change to the earlier, 2 piston type (I also believe I'll need the matching flexi hoses for these calipers)

I have looked on Brakes International and there appear to be 2 different early caliper types - 1 by ATE and the other by Girling. Is there any real difference in terms of longevity/performance?

These are my existing calipers:

Br1.JPG

And these are the potential replacements:

Br2.JPG

Br3.JPG

I need to refresh my brakes and would like to use new calipers. I currently have the later Delco ones on my 1.8 which are prone to siezing and so I'd like to change to the earlier, 2 piston type (I also believe I'll need the matching flexi hoses for these calipers)

I have looked on Brakes International and there appear to be 2 different early caliper types - 1 by ATE and the other by Girling. Is there any real difference in terms of longevity/performance?

These are my existing calipers:

Br1.JPG

And these are the potential replacements:

Br2.JPG

Br3.JPG

Hi Leon,just click on the following link mate,give these guys a call,they can refurb your existing units (and paint them what colour you like)or they will supply you kits so you can refurb them yourself.If/when you phone,ask for John Smith (he's the boss)and tell him Paul (aka Nose)from Ferraris has put you on.Cheers.

http://www.biggred.co.uk/

hi. if you change to the earlier type caliper (girling or ate) you will also need the bracket that holds the end of the new brake flexi.later floating caliper types had the flexi that mounted directly onto the caliper.the girling or ate type are much better than the later type & like you say are not prone to seizing up .there is also a type of sliding caliper fitted to some models that use a spring loaded bracket mounting method.they are single piston & can be used with your existing flexi.i beleive thay were fitted to some ascona models circa 80,81 ish.you should have no problems with this type if you can find some.

I recall seeing a pair of the twin piston jobbies in the classified the other day, dunno if they're sold as yet?

I've got calibra brakes on my 1.8 but my S reg early B V8 project I'm keeping the twin pistons and a chap on ebay is selling the braided flexi hose kits (2 listings 'Manta GTE & 1.8S' and also 'Manta B', you need the latter) which'll fit the calipers. I wasn't aware that the bracket (welded to the inner arch) was in a different place so I expect if you have to move that, you'd need to change your solid lines also!?

The sports brake kit I was sent for the early type, I think they've sent me the wrong pads, they are different on the twin to single sliding types I take it?? I know the disks are the same.

I wasn't aware that the bracket (welded to the inner arch) was in a different place so I expect if you have to move that, you'd need to change your solid lines also!?

i think the bracket refered to is the one that when the caliper is bolted on ,is sandwiched between the caliper and the stub axles carrier for the caliper and basically holds the flexi in place where it joins to the short S shaped rigid pipe that runs into the caliper from the flexipipe :unsure:

Cheers gents.

I've not seen an early type caliper setup in situ, but I'd guess the bracket cam.in.head. is referring to would be a simple L shaped bracket sandwiched between the caliper and the hub? Rather than the one on the inner wing where hardline joins the flexi...

I want to go with brand new calipers, at £65 a side I think it's an acceptable investment considering the car has cost me significantly less than £200 to run over the last year (excluding insurance/fuel/tax of course!)

Anyone have any half decent pictures of the early twin pot set up mounted on a car so I can have a look?

i seem to remember getting seal kits a while back from a company called PAST PARTS.

cheers for that, but i gave big red callipers a ring and as i dont want to change them and keep it standard they said they could recon mine for about £100 for both which includes new pistons etc so its not worth messing about........casper