Wheel And Diff Bearing Help

mattguttmann

Hey everyone,

Recently purchased a Manta A back axle for my chevette. It had been stood for a few years with no oil in before I picked it up. I have fitted it and it is making a horrible whining noise. I think this is down to the wheel bearings and maybe the diff bearings.

What I would like to know is are the wheel bearings the same on the A and B axles and where is the cheapest place to get them? Also I cannot seem to find anywhere which sells the diff bearing. Would anyone happen to know where I could source a pair?

Thanks alot

Matt

OPEL MANTA B AXLE REBUILD KIT; £299

1 x SKF Pinion head bearing

1 x Pinion tail bearing

2 x SKF Differential bearings

1 x Manta Pinion oil seal

1 x Manta Axle back plate gasket

OPEL MANTA B/C REAR WHEEL BEARING KIT; £99 per side.

No idea if the B kit fits a A series axle, and would it matter at £497?

These guys are listing cheap wheel bearings https://www.sapmotorparts.com/shop/english/

Cheers,

Keith

Exactly the same parts list and prices as this lot, http://www.bearingkits.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/110 and according to them it fits " Manta B/C Axles and Manta A 1.9".

Specifically for bearings, I've often found it as cheap and easy to take the sizes from what's stamped on the old bearings and just buy the same parts from a Bearing supplier. Seems to often be cheaper and sometimes better quality anyway than just looking for "Manta diff bearing" etc. However it does require stripping it down first!

Hey everyone, Stripped all the axle apart today and it seems like it is the pinion bearings :(

Both wheel bearings feel fine and I ran the car without the diff in it jacked up and it was still whining.

Would anyone know where to get the pinion bearings?

Cheers

Matt

As you've bought a duffer mate, wouldn't it still be more cost effective to source another replacement axle but check it over first? What's the point in rebuilding a replacement axle that you bought to replace an axle that needed rebuilding? You should expect to buy one that only needs a bit of paint and an oil change, bolt on and go.

Hey everyone, Stripped all the axle apart today and it seems like it is the pinion bearings :(

Both wheel bearings feel fine and I ran the car without the diff in it jacked up and it was still whining.

Would anyone know where to get the pinion bearings?

Cheers

Matt

Since you've now stripped it apart if you can't find the bearing by name, just read off the numbers stamped into your old bearing- they contain the exact sizes, angles etc. to identify that specific bearing so you can't get the wrong one.

Below are a couple of online shops I've used several times and their stuff is good quality, be it seals, bearings, even Vee belts for lawnmowers etc!

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

I have checked it all over and everything seems fine. All the bearings seem ok. I have just chucked some new oil in it and going to drive it and hope it quietens down.

It could just have dried out with being stood for years.

Are the internals of the Mata B axle the same as the A?

Cheers

Matt

The whine could easily be the pinion bearing not having enough pre-load on them.

The axle i used to put my LSD into had a whine that was getting very noticable

But when i stripped it down all the bearings were fine but the pinion was a bit too free to turn with the diff out.

So we reset the preload, now i know your supposed to get a new crush washer. But looking at the one in the axle it hadn't crushed down much.

So because i'm tight all i did was tighten the front pinion nut with the windy-gun bit by bit until i had the pre-load i wanted.

With everything rebuilt the whine has now disappeared B)

The whine could easily be the pinion bearing not having enough pre-load on them.

The axle i used to put my LSD into had a whine that was getting very noticable

But when i stripped it down all the bearings were fine but the pinion was a bit too free to turn with the diff out.

So we reset the preload, now i know your supposed to get a new crush washer. But looking at the one in the axle it hadn't crushed down much.

So because i'm tight all i did was tighten the front pinion nut with the windy-gun bit by bit until i had the pre-load i wanted.

With everything rebuilt the whine has now disappeared B)

Thanks alot for the replys.

That could very well be the case then as after I put it all back together the whine is still there but it is quieter. So this could be that I have just tightened it more.

I'll try this out. Would anyone know where to buy the crush washers from?

Cheers

Matt

• 1 month later...