Manta B Gtj '83 In Norway

MantaGTJ

Here are some pictures of the project I'm going to start on.

It's actually my first car, bought back from my sister that no longer uses it. It's parked about 10hr drive from where I live, but I'll get it back home in about a month.

First thing om going to fix is the faulty carb. I've been tipped about the Weber DTML carb. When I looked closer on the posts today I saw that it's for 1,8s engines. The engine in this car is a 2,0s original (100hp carb). Are there any good carbs for this one that provides abit more power and not so very much increase in fuel consumption?

Anyway, here are the pictures (I'll add from interior tomorrow).

http://i800.photobuc...84/2d915798.jpg

http://i800.photobuc...84/18cd15e2.jpg

http://i800.photobuc...84/49f975a7.jpg

http://i800.photobuc...84/1d505e22.jpg

http://i800.photobuc...84/8d1b5ac5.jpg

As you can see there are some missing trim on the right side of the car. I also have Masitaly Sagitta 17" (215/40-17) alloy wheels that aren't fitted to the car at these pictures.

The only GT/J's we had in Britain were 1.8S and in 1983 onwards the only engine options were the 1.8 OHC (carb) or the 2.0 GTE CIH (multipoint fuel injection), hence why I thought your '83 GT/J was a 1.8 as the late shell (four slot grill) 2.0S and the early shell (two slot) 2.0 GTE's were only left hand drive models in some of Europe.

However the good news for you is that an even better Weber DGV is avaliable for the 2.0S which'll bump it's performance and economy over the carb on your car. The place I got the link for the DTML supplies this carb also http://www.tuning.co.uk/vauxshop/ They're the same price as the DTML but a bit more expensive than I remember so you could look for second hand.

The only GT/J's we had in Britain were 1.8S and in 1983 onwards the only engine options were the 1.8 OHC (carb) or the 2.0 GTE CIH (multipoint fuel injection), hence why I thought your '83 GT/J was a 1.8 as the late shell (four slot grill) 2.0S and the early shell (two slot) 2.0 GTE's were only left hand drive models in some of Europe.

However the good news for you is that an even better Weber DGV is avaliable for the 2.0S which'll bump it's performance and economy over the carb on your car. The place I got the link for the DTML supplies this carb also http://www.tuning.co.uk/vauxshop/ They're the same price as the DTML but a bit more expensive than I remember so you could look for second hand.

Ok, thanks for clearing that out. And thank you for the link, really appreciated! :)

Iwas going to say stadacab i thought the GT/J's were all 2 litre and the GT's Were 1.8.

I know Welder (charlie) Had his yellow one i'm sure that was a 2 litre.

I see where you were coming from Rick as in this link below it says about the GT/J from 1982 onwards it was the 1.8 then the GT/J name was replaced by the GT name. It dosn't say much about the pre 82 GT/J apart from it was more sporty. But i'm sure pre 82 they were 2 litre cih.

Also i think most if not all the pre 82 GT/J's were coupes.

I've only ever seen a couple of GT/J hatches i think they were a B and C reg one so 84, 85.

http://www.mantaclub.org/archive/manta_b_late_gtj.htm

What about my 1981 pre-facelift 2.0 GT/J coupe?

I thought it was a berlinetta? :blink: Confused now, I thought all the 2.0S were berlinettas and you didn't get the GT/J level until later which a manta 1.8 was either a GT/J or a berlinetta, the latter being the better trim level (not that there seems to be a lot in it). According to the link above, the GT/Js were the top model of pre-facelifts, but that obviously doesn't include the chrome bumpered jobs as the top models of those were 1.9 SR berlinettas. Not that the info in the link is entirely accurate, on the log book for my 1.8 hatch (1984) it says manta GT/J although my decals say GT and I have seen some Y reg cars with the J included on the decal.

This is all irrelevant however, as although it'd be interesting to know the dates and model options and on what bodystyle, this GT/J in question is a 1983 model (facelift) with a 2.0 carbbed engine would not have been available in Britain.

I had a white GT/J hatchback which was A617 RYC which was the facelift model and that was a 1.8cc a few years ago now god i wish i still had it, i will upload some pics of it,mine never had alloys it had black steel wheels as these were classed as the base range i believe.

• 4 months later...

Merry christmas all!

Project is finally going a bit forward:

The steering rack is fixed, oil and filter changed, an unofficial MOT almost passed (headlights much too poor). The reflectors are poor on both and there's ice on the inside of left headlight (-6 degrees around here)  And there is also something going on with the rear lights. Light dims slightly as the indicator blinks.

Anyway, will be driving the 10 hour drive back home tomorrow. Hope there's not too much winter.  :)

Will post some pictures when I'm home.

Regarding the GT/J debate, I have a 1980 GT/J, which was (it's now modified!) a 2.0S originally.

My understanding was that the 'pre-facelift' GT/J was the 'sporty' option (as the early GTE never made it to the UK) which had black trim, bumpers, black stripes and 'GT/J' logos, Rostyle wheels, chin spoiler and the 2.0 engine.

It's basically a Berlinetta without the chrome and with a chin spoiler and black stripes!

The later (post-facelift) GT/J I'm not so sure about, but I did think that all the late UK GT/J's were 1.8.

Edited by Retro Power

What about my 1981 pre-facelift 2.0 GT/J coupe?

Sorry, this thread does seem to be going off on a tangent, but just wanted to clear up the details of the early (pre-facelift) range. I've copied the info below from elsewhere on the Manta site, and I believe it to be correct.

As far as I can tell 'Stradacab's' Manta (above) is not a GT/J but a late SR Berlinetta. The key thing being the presence of side mouldings, but also the chrome trim and lack of chin spoiler.

August 1st, 1980 saw another limited edition Manta introduced, the GT/J coupe. The car was designed to extend the appeal of the Manta to the younger sector of the market.

The chrome finish found on the SRB was replaced with a matt black finish, including the window surrounds and door handles. Body side mouldings were also deleted. A special decal kit, comprising of five black stripes from the front wing to the rear 1/4 glass window, added to the sporty look. A GT/J decal on the front panel and boot lid matched the stripes. The front spoiler was standard.

The interior was all black with vinyl door pads and seats in special "Beehive" material.

The GT/J had 185/70 tyres on 4 spoke 13" rostyles painted in silver and black. Uprated springs, shock absorbers, reinforced anti-roll bars and a high ratio (18.6:1) steering rack completed the package.

It was available in three colours unique to the car: Mandarin Red, Brilliant Ochre (yellow) and Pine Green. The cost was £5,339.65.

At the same time another special Manta was launched, the Manta S, with a 2.0 litre engine. It came in metallic silver with a factory fitted sunroof and plain glass with a laminated windscreen. Wheels were 5 1/2Jx13 silver rostyles.

The interior was blue vinyl door pads with houndstooth cloth trim seats. The dash only had the fuel, temperature and speedometer (as on the old 1.6 Deluxe) with a four spoke steering wheel.

Only 200 of these cars were produced, and today it is a rare car indeed.

The start of 1981 saw the GT/J added to the Manta range as a standard model and available in all the standard colours. August 1981 saw all the range gain electronic ignition and the SR Berlinetta gained the GT/J's front spoiler. Rear seats were now offered as an option at £73.51.

By now the range cost:

• £5,943.87 for the GT/J coupe
  • £7,004.08 for the Berlinetta coupe
  • £7,213.38 for the hatchback

My uncle once owned an Y reg 1984 GT/J. It was fitted with 13" alloys, 1.8 OHC and 4 slots! basically look like an standard 1.8 GT or S models, except 'the paint colour' it was an brownie/dark sliver (depending on the angle of the light) other than that; can't for the world of me remember wot made it different from other 1.8 models.