Manta Gt/e Coupe

Stonymanta

I have just taken delivery of this below :D . Needs some welding - not too much. I've already replaced the majority of fuel lines and pipes from the tank to the injector rail. I went under the car the other weekend only to discover that there was no fuel pump assembly(aaaaggggghhh!)- now waiting for one in a couple of weeks time at the next car show we're going to. The car was rescued from a scrap yard down south :o - shouldn't have been in there if you ask me....... Sincere thanks must go to the Red Bedford man Mr Virco AKA MANTAMAN :thumbup

Let me know what you think.

DSCN7810.jpg

DSCN7809.jpg

DSCN7811nonum.jpg

DSCN7812nonum.jpg

DSCN7813nonumJPG.jpg

Doesnt look bad at all mate. Deffo too good to scrap! What are youre plans standard resto or modified? White with that interior must surely be pretty rare. :) How is she structurely?

Structurally not too bad at all (new fuel lines clearly ;-)) - battery tray has gone (no pics but patching required only):

DSCN7827.jpg

DSCN7829.jpg

DSCN7830.jpg

DSCN7833.jpg

DSCN7836.jpg

Interior:

DSCN7815-1.jpg

DSCN7816-1.jpg

Low Mileage for the year approx 1800 miles a year since new...

DSCN7820-1.jpg

Pass me the welding gun ;-)

Structurally not too bad at all (new fuel lines clearly ;-)) - battery tray has gone (no pics but patching required only):

DSCN7827.jpg

DSCN7829.jpg

DSCN7830.jpg

DSCN7833.jpg

DSCN7836.jpg

Interior:

DSCN7815-1.jpg

DSCN7816-1.jpg

Low Mileage for the year approx 1800 miles a year since new...

DSCN7820-1.jpg

Pass me the welding gun ;-)

lovley good standard coupe a jist love polar white m8

Looks like you got some work to do there, well done for the rescue :thumbup

Here's an updated picture of your last Manta :-)

http://gallery.me.com/guysat#100181/IMG_0638&bgcolor=black

Guy

Hi Guy - like the respray - looks like it's coming along a treat - love the seat covers also. How's the Auto box replacement coming along? Your shell is the best one i've ever seen as a rescue Manta - should be a fantastic car when it's complete - really looking forward to seeing the finished article - nice one :thumbup

another manta saved from the crusher :thumbup

nicely done B)

good luck with the resto .

Thanks Jim - I wasn't activley looking for a coupe at this time, but when I heard Mr Virco on the other end of the phone say 'White Coupe, non-sunroof, 1 previous private owner and 44k miles in fair condition in a scrap yard' I just had to say pick her up - These combinations don't come along at all often as you know - so it had to be - without MANTAMAN tens of cars found would have been lost to the crushers by now. Ian has told me of at least three cars he has rescued more than once now.... makes me wonder why people buy them without understanding the commitment required to keep them on the road - it has to be love of the car first and foremost.

Getting off my saop box now......... ;)

Stonymanta'

makes me wonder why people buy them without understanding the commitment required to keep them on the road - it has to be love of the car first and foremost.

now thats a statment that says it all !!

and the best way i have ever heard manta ownership described :thumbup

well said boyo !!!! :)

Stonymanta'

makes me wonder why people buy them without understanding the commitment required to keep them on the road - it has to be love of the car first and foremost.

now thats a statment that says it all !!

and the best way i have ever heard manta ownership described :thumbup

well said boyo !!!! :)

Thanks Jim :thumbup

• 1 month later...

Well it's now started..... the welding that is :blink:

I have firstly to give MANTAMAN a real BIG THANKS for the use of his workshop, his time and his welding skills, so we're on the start of a very familiar journey to most :thumbup

So here goes:

Battery Tray - oh what a suprise to find this N O T! :

P12-09-09_1759.jpg

Washer Bottle tray - ditto - but less work - hopefully :unsure:

P12-09-09_1800.jpg

Now the A posts as found - no holes O M G!:

P12-09-09_175901.jpg

Is the other any worse?...... N O :o:D

P12-09-09_175902.jpg

Inner wing to nose cone as found:

Passenger side -

P12-09-09_1802.jpg

Drivers side (worse!) -

P12-09-09_1801.jpg

Passenger side repair to innerwing/nosecone area :

P16-09-09_2018.jpg

P16-09-09_2102.jpg

Including spot weld positions for plug welding:

P16-09-09_2115.jpg

Now welded :

P16-09-09_2207.jpg

P16-09-09_2208.jpg

Now that Battery tray.... 'Its a hole jim, but not as we know it!' :rolleyes:

P19-09-09_164901.jpg

Part welded ;)

P23-09-09_2142.jpg

P23-09-09_214201.jpg

Mr Virco is a magician - no it's true - honest :D

More to follow of that you can be sure :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of grinding work done yesterday including my finger (ouch!) :o Mr Virco removed his grinder guard so he could get into smaller areas - didn't know my finger was going to be one of them :rolleyes:

Inner wing to nosecone:

P03-10-09_1243.jpg

P03-10-09_1246.jpg

Inner wing under battery tray:

We're at the point where the battery tray is srtarting to come together. just offering up rough-cut panel and bonet pull tunel. Both Ian and I agree the pull tunel looks a bit big so we'll be triming this down a bit to the correct size. Will be using a small amount of filler to shape.

P03-10-09_124301.jpg

P03-10-09_1242.jpg

Battery Tray - offering up rough cut panel parts:

P03-10-09_1250.jpg

P03-10-09_125001.jpg

We're working on Wednesday evenings and the odd Saturday when time allows. So we now say 'Wednesday' is now 'Welding day' ;)

Think that there's a few more of these left before we finish ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You will probably already have thought of it but hook the new piece under so when the welds ground it will drain.

Not a bad idea at all - just that we're aiming for as original a finish as possible and as Ian's the man with the gun he'll no doubt have his own approach to this ;) For those in the know, Ian is a perfectionist - as unfortunately am I :o:)

Battery Tray getting there.... :)

P21-10-09_215001.jpg

P21-10-09_2149.jpg

P21-10-09_215002.jpg

Inner wing/nosecone repair moves on:

P21-10-09_2148.jpg

P21-10-09_214801.jpg

hope we'll be finished with these areas soon.

I have removed the side-skirt on the passenger side in preparation for us starting the welding required on this area next. Have a weak area on the passanger side footwell above the jacking point - normal really for these as most know.

So it's gonna be some shaping, priming and seam sealer up next to finish off the battery tray - just enough berfore the car is finally stripped prior to paint in a few months time.

Also found the GM car build printout under the rear passenger seat squab - never seen this before and really please to find this. Will try to get a pic for the next update.

Hopefully more progress next week... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Found more rusty holes in battery tray - no suprise really - but this will delay moving things along. Still better this than wet sound proofing, wet carpet, rusty floor and all the rest of it......

Drilled out the spot welds from the rear battery retaining clamp plate and removed. I made a template first to ensure that once the tray has been repaired the clamp plate will go back exactly where it was. Have only dusted over the newly ground-off repair section with Zinc primer to prevent rust - will be filling in as required and seam sealing once all the rot has been replaced with good steel.

More pics from this Wednesday just gone:

P04-11-09_2046.jpg

P04-11-09_2047.jpg

P04-11-09_2202.jpg

And yes those are more tin worm by-products you can see ;)

Will be tackled hopefully next week.

• 1 month later...

More updates on progress - it's getting C O L D now brrrrrrr....

Battery Tray rapairs almost finished - just welding in the rear locating bracket grind off the excess weld and a guide coat of primer over all and a quick resand/refill and we're prepped for paint:

P02-12-09_220102.jpg

Wing rail and other welding. This has been ground off and primed since these were taken - should have some pics fairly soon:

P02-12-09_220101.jpg

P02-12-09_2201.jpg

We're getting there :thumbup