Brake Proportioning Valve

Ari Vaterson

Hello,

I am in need of a brake proportioning valve for a Mk1 Vauxhall Carlton which I believe is the same as the mk1 Cavalier/Manta. As you can probably guess there isn't much enthusiam or any websites for mk1 Carltons hence me asking here, I hope thats okay as I am a Manta admirer :)

Anyway here is a pic I took from a Haynes manual, I hope its good enough to illustrate the type of valve I need.

DSC01610.jpg

And I borrowed this pic from Mick to show its the same type on a Cavalier - rotated through 90 degrees.

P17-06-09_1901.jpg

I hope someone can help me out.

I can pay via Paypal, cheque or cash on collection - I live in the London area.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Jon

The later type as used on a lot of the later series mantas work a lot better, the seals leaked on those early ones and loss of brake pedal was a regular problem. The one you pictured was common on the mk1 cav,s and early B series also I have seen them on the A series manta. I've binned quite a few and installed the later type.

I'm going to be removing mine from my early manta B soon which you can have, unless you want to opt for the later type? I'm either going to use a universal aftermarket one which lets you set it to what ratio you want or possibly do away with the thing all together like I am with the servo and have a very simple brake circuit :unsure:. Perhaps that's an option for you Jon/Ari?

The later type as used on a lot of the later series mantas work a lot better, the seals leaked on those early ones and loss of brake pedal was a regular problem. The one you pictured was common on the mk1 cav,s and early B series also I have seen them on the A series manta. I've binned quite a few and installed the later type.

Thanks for the info Robbie.

Yes my one is leaking :(

If the later one is a straight swap then thats great, I'll accept which ever type comes up first.

Cheers

I'm going to be removing mine from my early manta B soon which you can have

Yes Rick I will take it, when do you think its gonna be removed? and how much do you want for it?

Cheers

Jon

No charge for the valve. You haven't put your location in your profile so depending on how far away you are you may want it posted? I'm in West Oxfordshire. I should be able to remove it next time I'm down my yard which should be somepoint this weekend, I'll probably have to leave the pipe unions in and snip the ends of each pipe as not only are they a bit hard to remove, this'll stop brake fluid peeing out so much.

No charge for the valve. You haven't put your location in your profile so depending on how far away you are you may want it posted? I'm in West Oxfordshire. I should be able to remove it next time I'm down my yard which should be somepoint this weekend, I'll probably have to leave the pipe unions in and snip the ends of each pipe as not only are they a bit hard to remove, this'll stop brake fluid peeing out so much.

Cheers Rick that sounds great :thumbup

I am in London so post is probably easier, if thats okay. I can paypal you the postage costs if you pm me your email

Thanks again!

This'll be in the post first thing this morning when they open. I had a bit of a 'mare trying to undo the rusty old screws, broke 6 drills before I realised I owned a screw exctractor! Anyhow as I've kept you waiting this long I couldn't possibly charge you for postage which won't be much anyway.

Cheers, Rick.

PS Be careful unwrapping it as the ends of the brake line that I've snipped are a bit sharp.

This'll be in the post first thing this morning when they open. I had a bit of a 'mare trying to undo the rusty old screws, broke 6 drills before I realised I owned a screw exctractor! Anyhow as I've kept you waiting this long I couldn't possibly charge you for postage which won't be much anyway.

Cheers, Rick.

PS Be careful unwrapping it as the ends of the brake line that I've snipped are a bit sharp.

Hi Rick,

Got the valve this morning! Great!

Thanks for going to so much much trouble to help me out! I genuinely appreciate your efforts.

If you do decide you want any money/postage costs please say so and I will promtly sort you out the payment.

Thanks again!

Jon

This would have eventually been binned as I'm fitting either a manually adjusting one or have none at all so glad it's of use. You may need a bit of wire brush action on the underside of it I noticed.

Cheers, Rick.