Manta Gte Wanted

mwilcock

hi there new to the forum

at the moment i have an astra gte which i am unfortunatley breaking as i cannot get the money i want out of it by selling it as a whole

the engine is a quite highly tuned c20 xe forged running around a 220bhp with a lot more potential

The engine would of been sat in my garage until a friend suggested putting the powerplant in a rwd manta gte :D

so if anyone knows of a cheap one preferabley with a knackered engine as its no use anyhow could they email me.

thanks for reading, any info on the engine swap would be appreciated but i dont think it would be allowed in this sub section?

Mike (mwilcock@hotmail.com)

Hi there,

A GT/E is no good for you.

You will need to get a 1.8l model as this is the one that has the correct gearbox for the transplant and not the 2.0l.

TBH though to get a good one it will cost you as the xe boys have raped most of them already.

HTH,

Deano.

You could as at least it will have an injection tank in it.

The 1.8 is an OHC engine along the lines of the XE whereas the 2.0 is a CIH engine.

I think you need to have a modified sump, engine mounts, gearbox from a 1.8 and probably a good few other things.

People with more knowledge about this conversion will be along and be able to give you more info.

Ta,

Deano.

^ No injection loom and tank needed is even more reason to buy a 1.8S, to buy a GTE then all the 1.8 conversion bits would cost you a fortune. If you buy a 1.8S project (bollocks'd engine would be good but not gearbox obviously :D) then you can buy the GTE skirts, alloys and interior very cheap and many have the GTE kit fitted already.

The coupe 1.8s are rather thin on the ground these days so if you can find one as a project, folk will admire you for getting one back on the road! The more common hatches fetch anywhere between £400-£1000 for an example needing work of somekind but you should expect MOT and stuff for the £500+ mark.

On the other hand a project GTE coupe upto a £1000 or a couple of hundred less for a hatch + a £150-£200 for the 1.8 box + £150 for the sump and pick-up + £100 for mounts and ancillary parts, hoses, distributor mods...

...bear in mind a fully restored and nicely done redtop powered manta hatch would easily be worth in excess of £3000, so if you keep your budget less than that, you're on a winner.

i wil go with your advice and buy a 1.8 then. So im now after a 1.8 :D my engine is worth around 3k with all ancilaries so there goes the 3k budjet you mentioned but o well. 230bhp rwd manta with a diff (or get welder out) sounds fun! mike