Vinyl Roof

shooie811

Best tip I can give - DON'T!

Horrible things. Roof rusts underneath them, and you can't see it till it's too late. Bird sh*t is nearly impossible to clean off them, they are a pain to wash and keep looking decent, and they fade. Also they can peel and lift at corners, which looks awful. What's more, they encourage water to get under your screen seals. Do Cavaliers really need encouraging to get water where it shouldn't be? Took mine off years ago and the car looks SOOOO much better without it.

If you are dead set on this idea, probably best to go to a professional or at least someone who has done it a few times before. They have to be positioned and smoothed down very carefully to avoid mismatch or air bubbles in the vinyl.

I always wondered what the POINT of vinyl roofs was? Are you trying to pretend it's a convertible soft-top, or what?

BJ

PS. Why not have the roof and "C" pillars painted a different colour? Cheaper and easier to put back to original spec if you don't like it or want to sell the car.

Best tip I can give - DON'T!

Horrible things. Roof rusts underneath them, and you can't see it till it's too late. Bird sh*t is nearly impossible to clean off them, they are a pain to wash and keep looking decent, and they fade. Also they can peel and lift at corners, which looks awful. What's more, they encourage water to get under your screen seals. Do Cavaliers really need encouraging to get water where it shouldn't be? Took mine off years ago and the car looks SOOOO much better without it.

If you are dead set on this idea, probably best to go to a professional or at least someone who has done it a few times before. They have to be positioned and smoothed down very carefully to avoid mismatch or air bubbles in the vinyl.

I always wondered what the POINT of vinyl roofs was? Are you trying to pretend it's a convertible soft-top, or what?

BJ

PS. Why not have the roof and "C" pillars painted a different colour? Cheaper and easier to put back to original spec if you don't like it or want to sell the car.

dont think i want to do it anymore lol sounds like alot more trouble than its worth cheers mate :thumbup

If you are set on putting new roof on it and find a place that can do it please let me know as i have an a series with a couple of bubbles under the vinyl and dont want to peel it off untill find a new one ...many thanks mick

Hi Mick,

Like I say, I am dead against these leatherette shawls that some cars in the 70s got wrapped in, but if you want to replace one, you could try my local bodyshop in Cheshire, not a million miles from you?

Ron Bell, Artillery Park (Rofton Works), Hooton, Cheshire.

Sorry I've forgotten his phone number. I think this is right. 0151 327 2743

Proper old fashioned bodyshop, looks like a 1930s workshop. Good job, reasonable prices.

BJ