Manta B Project Underway!

upk

• 3 weeks later...

DAMN!   So there I was so filled with renewed enthusiasm, reading your topic from the start to the finish.... and thinking "aha! yes been there many times before welding up that bit" etc, only to find that as a non member I cannot have any more "YES YOU CAN DO THIS, LOOK WHAT I HAVE DONE" photo's thrown my way in other words, I cannot see members only photos'   :(  :(  :(  

Damn!!!! and after all the promotion and hard work I spent at pub meets and arranging shows, etc and the thousands of posts I put up here over the years advising people and not just "Yeah! nice car Bro!" type posts............. But good straightforward advice, and yet the club still seem to lose direction with "THEIR CONSTITUTION" and I will quote...........

To Promote and preserve the Marque

The Marque............. Belongs to GM not the OMOC.............. The club belongs to the members, and would be members,,,,,,,, As I've always argued.... So let us see the fcuking pics and give the new breed the inspiration to preserve and become members!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is this another warning coming or just a blanket ban?? was hoping to see some change...

Clive

p.s. oops I just read through that........... but the grass roots members i used to represent would have said "spot on Clive"

Upk, damn sorry mate,,, bit of a tangent there and totally hijacked you thread, best I become a member again and battle this out,,,,, top notch work, did a roof replacement on big craigs 400 rep (cdi200) a few years back up in Alloa (Scotland) was very wary of you full wheel arch replacement as I haven't found them to be too good a profile compared to the original arches, and always tried to remove as little as possible of the original arch before welding in any replacement.  

But your project was so intetersting and inspirational until the non members photo's stopped.....

The only incentive there for me............. After many many years of membership........ was to rejoin and give the committee some grief at he next AGM   B)

As a point ....... being a member of the Skyline owners club on the online forum......... you immediately quote your user/membership No. and you have instant insurance discounts etc.... total cost is....... 5 mins of your life to register.

OK a bigger user group............... But that is my point...... Why alienate a small user group instead of trying to gather them into become a "LARGER GROUP"?

Upk apologies again :thumbup   

• Like 1

You have a point Clive even if you did use a corrupted spelling to swear. i see none of the old fire has been extinguished in you Clive !!!

The members only rule for pictures was introduced to give a clear benifit to becoming a member of the OMOC, and if there were no paying members = no club

But i have always been unsure about not having photo's in the open section for everyone, there are pro's and con's to each side of the arguement, there are no easy answers and even i can't make my mind up.

Looks fantastic Kev :thumbup

Re the pics and non members I feel they should be shown to all. People like picture stories and are more likely to start to love the cars the more they see them. They shouldn't be exclusive (pun intended :) )

Tony

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Deleted all my project pics as

1) I don't share with folk that don't share

2) I don't believe the membership voted for that specifically to be implemented  (It adds no security and had to be altered to let non members see their own pics after posting :rolleyes: )

Boarding up the shop window is no good for the club.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 14:49, tony g said:

Looks fantastic Kev :thumbup

Re the pics and non members I feel they should be shown to all. People like picture stories and are more likely to start to love the cars the more they see them. They shouldn't be exclusive (pun intended :) )

Tony

True.  an AGM resolution for next year?

11 minutes ago, upk said:

Is it just me or have all my pictures been locked to everyone since I didn't renew my membership?

real shame if that's the case .

kev

Its not a forum thing, Its a new Photobucket limit for hosting pics saved on their site onto other sites. Basically they are trying to get you to pay them so your links will work again. All i think it will achieve is to piss even more people off with Photbucket than already were.

Self hosting on your own webspace is the only way to be in complete control of your pics. But moving all those pics and editing every post with the new addresses is never going to happen which has affected a lot of good build projects on many forums already :(

• Like 1

Yep it's screwed every thread I've ever done on omoc the photobucket bastards. I even paid for a subscription for many years to their site and now they want £300 to reinstate the photos on threads. 

Loads of people on other forums complaining. 

If we hosted our own pics like the mig welding forum ( yep a mahoooooosvie following and club, er, no) we would not be in this position. 

However the club seems to spend its revenue on club BBQs for the few that attend a once a year meet and continue to flog a dead horse that is the club mag sent by snail mail and put in the bin 20 mins after it arrives. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the Photobucket feedback chaps. As Kev Abbott says that's screwed every thread I have ever written on the Omoc website !!

Why they did not take a more ethical approach to charge for future hosting and accept historic use in good faith astounds me! 

kev

8 hours ago, upk said:

Thanks for the Photobucket feedback chaps. As Kev Abbott says that's screwed every thread I have ever written on the Omoc website !!

Why they did not take a more ethical approach to charge for future hosting and accept historic use in good faith astounds me! 

kev

Completely agree with the above sentiments. You are spot-on about leaving the historic stuff in place. That would have made much more sense. Maybe they will come to their senses once nobody signs up. 

For the time being Flickr are still allowing 3rd party hosting but suspect that might not last either. 

It's certainly affecting lots of other fora that rely on 3rd party hosting.