Manta B Project Underway!

upk

Well all the xmas shopping is done!!

(hope she likes it)

we seem to have missed out on the snow and ice that many areas are experiencing!

so i am gonna have a go at the Manta today as i have not touched it for over a month!

Happy xmas to you all and a Very Merry New Year!!

hey do you think theres much chance Santa will bring me a 400???

well an enjoyable morning in the workshop. Managed to get the swan kneck repair sections cut and set up in final position.

before i can weld them i have marked the floor pan so that i can remove them and drill through for the plug welds ( intention is to drill floor pan etc and weld through to the swan kneck)!

this is tedious process as i have fitted and removed several times already to ensure the cutting and welding will be right and the best fit achieved, but hey ho, its gotta be done right!!

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well its been a while, cold weather and decorating stopped progress but got back to it yesterday.....

tacked the jacking point in place ( after swopping over the jack tube) and fitted the replacement chassis rail( dont panick, jacking point is fully welded to swan kneck under the rail). For the latter had to make a couple of small modifications as the new swan knecks would not allow rail to butt up flush to floor. So i cut a slit at each corner along the length to allow it to expand over. Plan is too weld the two rails together and then use a flap disc to dress to profile.

Was going really well and then i ran out of mig wire!!!!!!!!!

time too go shopping for supplies.

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

as you can see, all plug welded from inside

IMG_1237.jpg

Watch out for my Manta A in aprils edition of Total Vauxhall :thumbup

Edited by upk

Kev was it the front chassis leg you had to mode or was it the rear one? looks like the rear one from the picture. I suppose fitting 4 different aftermarket panels from 4 different suppliers can be time consuming and tricky getting them all to fit 'spot-on'.

The work is looking 'top-notch' :thumbup

the rear one where it sits over the front one, its hidden by the axle stand but if you look closely you will see the red of the lower one. I basically slit lengthways at the corners in the bottom of the u section.

Hi John,

some shots earlier in the thread have a look see if they help you, if not give me a clue as too what specifically you need to see. I recommend these panels as they fit extremely well and have saved me loads of time in refabrication. they even have the pressed strengthener channels in them, an all too often overlooked repair detail!!

ps Also in thread is link to supplier.

Edited by upk

New roll of mig wire to hand so i did a bit more on the chassis rail to finish the passenger side off

records003.jpg

records002.jpg

will need a bit more welding and fettling to finish but the plan is to do the other side first, once i have some strength back in the chassis legs the shell will go on the rollover and that will make finishing a lot easier.

that said i started to prepare the driver side swan kneck for the reinforcment box section. Not as bad as the other side but it still needs serious attention!!

Heres how i left it after cutting away the outside face.

records004.jpg

records005.jpg

records006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

fabricated and welded in the box section reinforcement today:-

records013.jpg

records014.jpg

then cut away the old rusty floorpan so i can weld in the new swan kneck sections same as other side.

records012.jpg

I do enjoy the fabrication side of a project .................test's your metal!! :thumbup

No I did not, but neither did i cut all the leg out in one go.

i cutaway one side, welded in the reinforcement and then cut away the other side!

otherwise i would have braced the car by welding in some temporary bars etc... :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread and very impressed. You're a welding God, Kev! Loving the detail on the roofskin as this is something I'll have to tackle in a couple of years. Keep the pics and narrative coming. Can't wait to see this one complete. Respect!

Thanks for the comments guys, glad to see thread is proving useful. Big thanks to Kev abbott and Mantadoc as they have helped create it ( even gods have to ask for advice)!!!

Anyway its a bit warmer now and all those inside decorating jobs have been done so i spent the last 2 afternoons in the workshop (a series went for MOT this morning and shes now back on the road after winter break).

managed to get the drivers side swan kneck and chassis rail replaced as per other side

records020.jpg

rial1.jpg

records021.jpg

still need some fettling etc but i will do that at the end when all fabbing as been completed.

Next job inner wing repairs , still not decided wether to 400 kit it so will leave the rear arch repairs and cills till i make up my mind.

Yet another great day in the workshop today, well part in workshop part on drive cos its been glorious by us today.

first job was to make up a replacement corner for the battery tray and weld that in

records022.jpg

then to make up a new scuttle panel and A piller leading edge and weld them in

records023.jpg

and finally make good the inner arch section

records024.jpg

and then i ran out of gas!!!!! arrrrgggggghhhhhh

call it a day and enjoy the early evening sun i think. B)

completed the repair to the drivers side scuttle panel today (saturday), A piller was ok on this side but the panel joining the inner wing to the arch was a tricky little begger to fabricate! Anyhow a bit of perciverence and a mug of tea sorted that out ( will post pics later).

next job is to replace both cills ans repair the rear arches ( got to decide first if 400 kitting or not)!!!

but today i will have a break and enjoy a day out ( tell you more about that later).

Edited by upk
  • Like 1

completed the repair to the drivers side scuttle panel today (saturday), A piller was ok on this side but the panel joining the inner wing to the arch was a tricky little begger to fabricate! Anyhow a bit of perciverence and a mug of tea sorted that out ( will post pics later).

next job is to replace both cills ans repair the rear arches ( got to decide first if 400 kitting or not)!!!

but today i will have a break and enjoy a day out ( tell you more about that later).

records025.jpg

records026.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good bit done today, replaced the nearside sill:-

cut off the old sill

IMG_1319.jpg

needed a bit of work on the internal sections as normal

IMG_1320.jpg

but we got there having coated all the inner parts with loads of waxoyl before welding outer back on

IMG_1321.jpg

the rear quarter is a bit of a bugger to joggle due to the inner piece but we got there in the end

IMG_1322.jpg

just got the same to do on the other side now............leave that for another day!

Edited by upk

• 2 weeks later...

Well i still can,t make up my mind!

so i will leave it until i have to do the rear arches to decide, still lots to do elswhere on the body and thats the final task before i make up my mind.

On another note i have just waved the A series goodbyre as it set off over to Co Wicklow with its new owner Gerry. You know that was the first time ever i have seen the manta in my rear view mirror and boy does it look good.

Whats the general opinion out there?

kev

Having fitted a 400 kit myself there is a lot of frigging about to get it right, repairing the original arches will give you less headaches I promise.

Personally I would love to see this one standard cause of my history with it, but it's your baby- Let us know as soon as you decide!