Hi, New Here..manta A '74 Project, Pics Included

MickB

Manta A Pics

Hi, some of you may have seen my appeal for a red Manta A and lo and behold the same day I posted that I won a yellow Coupe on ebay, within budget as well. Very excited as I had promised myself one for quite a while. Had beautiful '72 version when I was 18, went on to Capri's but always loved the Manta. Anyway fate seemed to intervene as I lost one that day and got the yellow peril, or Bumblebee as my young son aptly named it. Maybe someone recognises it or owned it previously? It is registered as a '74 Coupe but the previous owner reckons it may have been built earlier. Can I find out its original build date from it's chassis number? I am in East Sussex and got the car from Basingstoke area.

Needs a fair amount of welding work and I would like to restore it to as original as possible with a respray to red. Bumpers have been changed, front seats changed, paint job not original but all with time as I am not rushing it. It has no MOT and has been off the road for 2 years but on the whole is in good condition. All the sills need doing and the front chassis is in need of dire attention as it is dropping off, and the front panels may need replacing. The interior is in good condition just missing centre stereo console, floor pans seem OK, boot is solid and so is the engine compartment. Seems mechanically sound although I am no expert. However, I have a brother-in-law who is handy with cars and so I am hoping he will be able to give me some pointers as I am a slight novice.

I had hoped to have added some photos but seem to be having troubles doing so, will have to check out how. I have hopefully added the correct link to the photos, just can't get them to show in this messages as images. I will be back and so any tips or advice etc. would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Mick

If you pm me your chassis number and reg number I'll check the records and see if your car is tax exempt. You might be lucky, it does look like it is a pre-facelift car from the pics (no B pillars, screen washers poking through a hole in the bonnet, no end vents on the dash) but could still be a 73 build.

Steve

hi,

i have a bit of history of this car as me and my old man steve who i persume you bought it of, we rescued this from the oxford area as it was going to the scrappers,i can tell you tho as it is definatly not taxed exempt as i got the club to check it out for me a few years back,

hope you have fun bringing her back up to scratch :thumbup

cheers sean

hi,

i have a bit of history of this car as me and my old man steve who i persume you bought it of, we rescued this from the oxford area as it was going to the scrappers,i can tell you tho as it is definatly not taxed exempt as i got the club to check it out for me a few years back,

hope you have fun bringing her back up to scratch thumbsup.gif

cheers sean

Hi, Thanks for this and yes it was Steve I bought it from. Very helpful and informative he was as well. Not too worried about it not being tax exempt, just want to try and get her back to how she may have been. The welding for me will be the hardest so may have to bring someone in on that. Keep you posted.

Regards

Mick

Manta A Pics

Hi, some of you may have seen my appeal for a red Manta A and lo and behold the same day I posted that I won a yellow Coupe on ebay, within budget as well. Very excited as I had promised myself one for quite a while. Had beautiful '72 version when I was 18, went on to Capri's but always loved the Manta. Anyway fate seemed to intervene as I lost one that day and got the yellow peril, or Bumblebee as my young son aptly named it. Maybe someone recognises it or owned it previously? It is registered as a '74 Coupe but the previous owner reckons it may have been built earlier. Can I find out its original build date from it's chassis number? I am in East Sussex and got the car from Basingstoke area.

Needs a fair amount of welding work and I would like to restore it to as original as possible with a respray to red. Bumpers have been changed, front seats changed, paint job not original but all with time as I am not rushing it. It has no MOT and has been off the road for 2 years but on the whole is in good condition. All the sills need doing and the front chassis is in need of dire attention as it is dropping off, and the front panels may need replacing. The interior is in good condition just missing centre stereo console, floor pans seem OK, boot is solid and so is the engine compartment. Seems mechanically sound although I am no expert. However, I have a brother-in-law who is handy with cars and so I am hoping he will be able to give me some pointers as I am a slight novice.

I had hoped to have added some photos but seem to be having troubles doing so, will have to check out how. I have hopefully added the correct link to the photos, just can't get them to show in this messages as images. I will be back and so any tips or advice etc. would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Mick

Hi mate saw the A series on ebay the same time i got mine ,you got a bargain looking at it .Sounds like you got a bit on your hands but it will be worth all the scraped knuckles in the end .Just finishing off a car port at home so can start pulling mine to bits for a respray .good look and keep us imformed.....mick

Hi mate saw the A series on ebay the same time i got mine ,you got a bargain looking at it .Sounds like you got a bit on your hands but it will be worth all the scraped knuckles in the end .Just finishing off a car port at home so can start pulling mine to bits for a respray .good look and keep us imformed.....mick

Hi,

Yes, it came in within budget, or at least a budget i could get past the wife with! I have to clear out the garage so it can go in there. looking forward to getting started on it.

Mick

hi mick,

yeah that was definatly my old man he is very clued up about the A series, anyway ive been looking through my old emails from mark kinnon and according to him the chassis number of the car corresponds to March/April 1973,origanaly from info i got from the previous owner before me and steve the car was origanaly a 1.6 in bronze/brown colour

cheers sean