Hi From Easy Yorkshire

TonyT

Hi all, just bought myself this...

manta.jpg

mantaengine.jpg

hope to restore it to its former glory then either use it as a daily driver or save it to take to shows when I go...

i also have a tatty punto and a XK8 I take to shows currently..

this site looks exactly what I need as have had a look round and there are some clever people on here, hopefully I can be of some use in return for borrowing your expertise..

all the best

Tony

Hi all, just bought myself this...

manta.jpg

mantaengine.jpg

hope to restore it to its former glory then either use it as a daily driver or save it to take to shows when I go...

i also have a tatty punto and a XK8 I take to shows currently..

this site looks exactly what I need as have had a look round and there are some clever people on here, hopefully I can be of some use in return for borrowing your expertise..

all the best

Tony

Was this the beastie on Fleabay very recently? I was bidding on it but missed out, the mrs wanted a hatch as I have just bought yet another coupe, let us know how you get on with it, what was it like underneath?:thumbup

cheers for the welcome all, much appreciated..

I'm not far away Alan I'm in beverley, although I work in Hull and the car is now in Hull (A1s down old Hedon Rd)...

i'm gunna do a proper job of it i hope, re-bearing the rear axle, also probably see if i can get poly bushes then sort alarm, get central locing sorted out, remove engine and sort all that, paint engine bay and pretty much everything else lol..

replace some dodgy wiring where the rats have been in (dont ask), also see about getting head gasket done (doesnt need it, more of a precaution) sort out all the horrible sound deadening and replace heater matrix, full service and probably a shed load of other stuff as well lol..

cant see it seeing the light of day for a couple of months, but I'm hoping it'll be well worth it when its done..

all the best, hope my stay here is a good one

Tony

p.s. if anyone knows of any good sources for new or used parts please post on here, or if prefered pm me..

Hello and Welcome :thumbup

I'd bleed the water system first before i would 'touch' the heater matrix/head gasket. Opel Manta heater systems are; 'crap' to say the least :rolleyes:

Give the engine a full service (plugs/leads/timing etc), also change the gearbox/axle oil. Get yourself a nice wee hayes book ;)

The GT/E CIH engine is; 'tough as auld nails' so with a good service! should be fine.

All the best and keep us updated :thumbup

Cheers,

Keith

cheers keith, the engine currently runs like a dream, with no smoke and no noises, hat said plugs, all filters and gaskets are also on order, so it'll be well overhauled by the time i drive it again... i'll make a not of your suggestions and pass them onto my mechanic, thank you

all the best

Tony