Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

Thanks jack.

I'm of the opinion, just give it a go!

And also I have watched a fair few build threads over the years on various sites and clubs and it has given me inspiration, so kinda returning the favour, some may not like what I'm doing to an A series but I'm trying to encapsulate all the thinks I like and have seen into a vehicle shape I admire and more importantly can afford! Although at this rate I may as well have gone for an old mustang lol

I will also be interested in the rack setup as trying to work out what to do with the steering on my A as i dont have any room where the rack would normally go as have a big 4 into 1 manifold which takes up lots of space so have been trying to work out if i could use the standard rack but move the mounting. I will keep an eye out for your updates :-)

Andy

I will also be interested in the rack setup as trying to work out what to do with the steering on my A as i dont have any room where the rack would normally go as have a big 4 into 1 manifold which takes up lots of space so have been trying to work out if i could use the standard rack but move the mounting. I will keep an eye out for your updates :-)

Andy

On my V8 the rack is bent down under the engine and comes up between the 2-3 manifold pipes.

Thanks jack.

I'm of the opinion, just give it a go!

And also I have watched a fair few build threads over the years on various sites and clubs and it has given me inspiration, so kinda returning the favour, some may not like what I'm doing to an A series but I'm trying to encapsulate all the thinks I like and have seen into a vehicle shape I admire and more importantly can afford! Although at this rate I may as well have gone for an old mustang lol

When it is done you will have to show me it and give me a passenger ride in it and tell me all about it. :D If you get enough money you can buy an old Mustang as well as having your A series Manta, Good plan?

Bit of a cut and paste from another forum of progress....

Would be rude not to build a new trolley for the tig and mig to ride in, progress so far, ran out if gas, typical seeing as I've been to pickup some argon for the tig and now the co2/argon is empty.

3BA780B2-093B-49C7-BC53-54614A9FE52C_zps

Got it done today before I went off to the earls Barton classic meet this evening.

In primer ready for some rattle can satin black

84874143-1D96-447D-93E6-9DBBBA711280_zps

Trolley done and in action, well... Haven't fired up the tig rig yet, going to wait til Saturday morning!

1186E744-2D00-438E-BF53-CE2B557CAE50_zps

2F11E62A-2358-409B-9F43-96A8EC91DE97_zps

Also made a start on the chassis rails, 3 hours of measuring and dissing things out, string lines, levels you name it I've used it. Going to get one full leg tacked up then clamp the other to it, I will try out he tig in them to keep the heat down..... Hopefully

3FDEF0EA-9E38-4526-BC46-25EE79A14440_zps

Also thing new shear arrived today, really nice bit of kit to use, sick of my air shears jamming up!

71DB9E5F-EF91-4E3C-842A-B656D102D955_zps

Good progress today.

Had a play with the steering rack pinion shaft, chopped of the two bolt mount, turned it down in the lathe (hardened steel!) slid a thick piece of tube over and welded. This will be chopped down and a solid piece of shaft slotting and welded up again so making a longer pinion shaft for more sump clearance and manifold

104DCEA2-F57D-48E1-B680-02E26CC3783B_zps

Also,

Welded on some chassis rails, spent most of the day measuring and setting up

551ADA07-5EDB-4A3A-8EB1-26D01C538466_zps

Found some bargain silencers from an ac cobra kit build 45 quid the pair, happy with that

6F04EF66-532C-43B6-A9F5-219EA61EDE78_zps

A77E39AF-C05A-4DA6-B4E4-813775BAAB50_zps

37D7D272-3F90-4D40-AC7F-0DDAE9648EFA_zps

Also made the front upper rails, made them as far apart as possible by using 40x40 box section and using a spigot I machined up from round bar welded into the edge. I could have made new mounts etc, but I want to retain the original front subframe as much as possible and keep it bush mounted rather than solid, all aids dismantling the car and engine etc in the future

D1A6EE30-2D0C-481B-9E7D-2ECAFF323CD1_zps

Edited by Paul Barrett

looking good, are you setting up the front end caster etc with coilovers still in? we always remove them and put a 1" square tube in drilled to bolt up at finished ride height, especially as you are running taller rear tires , makes everything more solid too for levels etc,

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip mike, that was my next puzzle. I think I will source different shocks at this stage too for the front as need a little more travel than the current ones once the ride height is set I think , I only really bought them for the rears and have tried to utilise the other pair.

Edited by Paul Barrett

did you measure your wheelarch to ground measurements etc before you took it all apart? if not you could do with finding a buddys manta and working out where you want yours to sit, then remove front shocks and with a jack under crossmember raise or lower it until A arms are level at ride height or at least same as stock ones are,you can also tip the crossmember back a degree or two for more caster to offset taller rear tires if the car is going to have some rake,if it is going to have wheels tucked up inside at rear to keep car level then it doesnt need more caster,  then do same with rear, from the pics it looks like lower rear arms are level which is how they should be but there is no load on them at present, the roadstershop and detroit speed etc tilt the rear crossmember back 6degrees for rear antidive but this may not work with your setup, please dont think i am trying to preach to you or think you havnt done research etc but as it is what i do for a living i will always try to help out with what i have learnt in various shops and this method seems pretty standard with all of them, hope it is of some help, mike.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info mike,

I've set my ride height, taken out shocks and replaced with some solid angle

Done quite a bit

B49298ED-EA21-4E1C-93AE-7FC32B528B8C_zps

33E494A7-138E-4993-9871-1E3D5C2E5B33_zps

928E3D77-FFC8-4192-845B-DBF762198289_zps

BAD0E3C0-AA09-4E23-83BE-7CEBB3398A19_zps

Sump flanges have been cut, had four done to sell off to recoup the cost, already sold

One!

D9F16BE1-B409-49B6-9B5B-0F9519924DFD_zps

F22D1D19-AB3A-49DA-97FB-5614811C63C5_zps

CEEF3620-B224-42E4-A28D-4AE07732EAE4_zps

1EABAFC3-D2FA-429F-B748-DA3007B10B63_zps

29913DDC-564A-41B3-A42C-75A7AADCB0C7_zps

DD692BC9-F9B1-4299-B2EB-5109E2C44197_zps

AB9D601A-E894-4DB7-AD7C-C76078C325EE_zps

Engine and box are in , need to be centred perfectly before I get cracking with the mounts, I'm using nova poly bushes , need some tube the correct diameter first. Will be tig weldin the mounts!

• Like 3

Hopefully charge it, hence why I'm trying my hardest to get it as low as possible, as u don't want a big bonnet bulge.

That's quite a way off, but im over engineering the thing for the future power hike, will be around the 450-460 mark basing it on a lot of Aussie builds I'm reading.