Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

Lump out again........

Rough mockup of how I think it will work, not 100% happy just yet. May move the steering box further out on that outrigger so I can lower it slightly we'll see once I've got the rack nice and solidly mounted as there's lots of movement in everything and I can't judge if the universal joints are happy or that the pinion rod is true enough welded to the joint

B0755C23-49D2-4C27-AF47-73C1170B2FF2_zps

Went up to see paul this morning to collect my bonnet scoop he kindly made for me. After have a cuppa and a good chin wag off we went to see the A. I have to say what an amazing job paul has done you really don't see how much from the photos you have to see it in person to really get the real picture. You have a lot of balls to do what you have done Paul but you have done one brilliant job :) keep it up.

Hi jack, I doubt it very much, with our first child due in April next year my attentions will be somewhat distracted for some I think......I know! Lol.

In any case I don't want to rush it as I've got this far to compromise

Come on Paul, you have 5 months before your litlle one appears, at the speed your going, should be enough time to finish the build. lol

Had to source another universal joint as

1- was out of true

2- i buggered it up trying to true it up

So onto the steering rods

Cut the ends of some old steering rods, turned it down to 14mm then cut a left hand thread m14x1.5 for a meaty rod end

FE8DDCE4-CCA9-413C-918D-BA8EF2139D1D_zps

29CD9D72-4669-41EB-A993-3ED556354580_zps

Turned up a stainless spacer tube, bored it out to 14mm then tapered end slightly for misalignment on the rod end, added a small one on the bolt head side to so it won't snag on full angle, stretched a rubber boot over it all to keep muck out

F7790A8E-8A37-4D7D-B0C8-F9674938007D_zps

Might make a hex adjuster for the centre to make tracking easier to adjust for something a big spanner can grab

Edited by Paul Barrett

Appreciate the concern

;)

Bargain rad arrived today,

Looks good enough to me, twin core nicely welded, came with a 12" fan, that looks naff so I'll sellmon and get a kenlowe or pacet, had cheap fans in the past, better off with an OE fan in my experience

3A385470-C070-49EA-A204-D3B769DD603A_zps

Edited by Paul Barrett

Hi jack, I doubt it very much, with our first child due in April next year my attentions will be somewhat distracted for some I think......I know! Lol.

In any case I don't want to rush it as I've got this far to compromise

Good luck with all your new ventures including your kid ;) Definately don't rush it as the fabrication work you have put into it for example is excellent so keep going until you are happy that its all finished :) Just imagine when you wake up one morning and you can just go to your A Series, open the door and go for a drive all fully built up and running :)

I know mate, it's within reach for me, a totally custom car with all the bits I've always wanted on it, if it takes 2 more years so be it, it'll be worth it, I may take a little break from it for a month to get some big jobs done to earn some decent money before Xmas, then hit for a week over xmas hard, may even get some help and call in some favours getting the body stripped down and etch primed.

• 2 weeks later...

With any spare time I've squeeZed in ( work is busy atmo) I've been building my bead roller

It needed beefing up to stop it flexing and a motor mount to power it rather than the awkward hand crank, so far so good.

Stripped it down

CB0D9236-1F93-480B-8B33-1EDEE04611C4_zps

Cut up a chunk of this

051C6779-A34E-45CD-BE26-0436AF950679_zps

Cut a slot into it, boxed off the end

Welded it too the back

Welded on a motor mount

77411EF0-24DE-497C-BA32-8BD1123125CF_zps

Just need to source some sprockets and a chain, a capacitor I've ordered and a foot pedal,

I may incorporate a bed into it too, see how it goes

96BA85F6-D8E9-47F6-A709-694C86B9DAD1_zps

8FEA309C-DD38-42BD-B033-795E1A2AC5EA_zps

Edited by Paul Barrett

Plus it'll be running so slow noise I doubt will pose a problem ;)

I want to make a tipping wheel too, Prob from an old pulley slit in half and a skateboard wheel as the lower wheel, will so easy then make 90 degree bends for lips on panels.

Hope this makes sense.?!

Edited by Paul Barrett

Knocked up a better bracket for sterring box from some thick ally plate and welded it, cut up a steel plate to weld to hanger on the subframe too, that needs slight mod, first before welding on

5DD88801-7C49-4DDD-84FA-B424A8036866_zps

down, wazzed on some qeld to the headers, they are ready for the collectors now

E2E25308-F1D0-4F3F-B2F4-976BC683C0AE_zps

76CFFFC8-AD46-41C7-8BD7-ACF672EEA8CA_zps

I know the uneven header length isn't ideal but I simply done have the room for any bring else better