stripped out underseal from arch cut out more rot ready new steel,

DSCF1012.jpg?t=1267296893

new panle about to be welded in

DSCF1013.jpg?t=1267296945

inner repairs done, arch cut out ready for new reapir panel

DSCF1014.jpg?t=1267296983

repair panel prepped and riveted in place ready for welding

DSCF1018.jpg?t=1267297053

got distracted with seam seeling up other joint and then one of the chassis rails

DSCF1019.jpg?t=1267297103

cheers guys, good comments mean a lot.

me and ollie went to VBOA autojumble today, picked up a few bargains,

another indicator in perfect condition £4! i ahve 2 now so sorted, paid like 20 quid for the other which isnt as good

DSCF1022.jpg?t=1267367615

this lot for a fiver! all racetech gauges with a mini loom no sensors but hey at this price, even a real carbon faceplate lol

DSCF1021.jpg?t=1267367700

load of alloy bends etc 2" and 3" measly toatl of £6!

DSCF1020.jpg?t=1267367809

also picked up an airfile, just really to get in the corners of my door shuts where i need to grind down weld where i put in the sills, and some wire wheels for the grinder as getting through them quite fgast with all the rust to clean up!

Braw bargains biggrin.gif I've nah idea wot yur day'ing with the beemer bits blink.giflaugh.gif def interesting thumbsup.gif

Keep up the good work thumbsup.gifbiggrin.gif

basically a way of coverting the manta to an indpendan trear suspension rather than traditional live axle, much easier than trying to find a suitable live axle to take the power of the engine im installing

• 4 weeks later...

few pics,

got a lot done today, weld weld weld! done a whole chassi leg and the floor pan on the drivers side, really pleased, even with visitors stopping by,

DSCF1042.jpg?t=1269719068

toss welds on this diff hanger member, got new gas now argonshield light i prefer this was with the ****e free pub bottles i picked up

DSCF1041.jpg?t=1269719190

cut shop rebuild

DSCF1043.jpg?t=1269719231

new rail, jacking point, and floor

righty, no pics im afraid as camera had a flat battery, dohhhhhh!angry.gif

anyhow, have finished both chassis rails and jacking points now, the car is off the rollover spit for work on the front end and then the rear trailing arms and then the engine mounting etc, then back ont he spit for final weld up and seal for painting etc,

im really chuffed with what ive done over the easter holsbiggrin.gif

update time, been working of fabricating the front valance, tried to patch it up but wasnt happy, so the sheel is now off the spit to allow me to properly work on it...

DSCF1044.jpg?t=1270923000

one side cut out

DSCF1045.jpg?t=1270923159

difficult angles to reproduce with basic tools, but time and patience, this had lots more work to get the ripples smoothed out

DSCF1048.jpg?t=1270923317

other panel in tis early stages

DSCF1049.jpg?t=1270923364

bit of CArD design for cutting up the new panles to shape

DSCF1050.jpg?t=1270923420

old mank all cut out for the new stuff

DSCF1051.jpg?t=1270923463

new in ready for welding, the ends need fettling to blend in with wings and lower valnce which i have a brand new one

DSCF1052.jpg?t=1270923531

placed IC back in to make sure all is straight and will fit

DSCF1047.jpg?t=1270923590

im hungry!

DSCF1046.jpg?t=1270923231

shot of the inside as it stands, few more patches to weld in the seal

Edited by novashed

finished the fron valance today, tacked up then fully tacked by welding in one spot then another to distribute the heat to prevent it warping too badly out of shape, gave it a good linish with a sanding pad on the grinder and then a skim of filler, also started mocking up the front airdam/splitter, trying something new with muscle car influence.

DSCF1057.jpg?t=1271009255

right side has been ground down flat here

DSCF1058.jpg?t=1271009308

additional plate to hold up the lower valance

DSCF1059.jpg?t=1271009364

not a very clear pic, but plcaed the front bumper back on, and half the new splitter, which may work or it wont, will try my best

well monumental day today, engine in ready for moutns to be made etc!!!!! only spent 4 hours on her as had to screed a floor this morning, but any progress is good, so more chopping ...........

DSCF1074.jpg?t=1271522432

subframe slung back on, block hangin ready

DSCF1075.jpg?t=1271522531

block in, so decided to lop out more metal lol, i knew the trans tunnel would never be big enough so marked up where i wanted to cut and let the sparks fly!

DSCF1076.jpg?t=1271522608

more scrap!

DSCF1077.jpg?t=1271522643

plate for nearside engine mount, nice thick plate steel

DSCF1078.jpg?t=1271522703

omega box in, where ive cut the tunnel out has suited me fine first time, im allowing a little more room for when i eventually build the bellhousing to suite a bmw box in the future

DSCF1079.jpg?t=1271522793

as can be seen im going to have to make up some lowering blocks for the ARB as it fouls the box considerably, handy it being there for now to hold the box up!

DSCF1080.jpg?t=1271522860

fitted first time, made bolt holes slightly larger but more luck than anything

DSCF1081.jpg?t=1271522917

placed the top half of the engine on to check measuremtns for bonnet clearance, its going to be tight, may have to bulge the bonnet or notch out the subfame a touch, as space is tight escpecially for the sump, which is more important than asthetics so if it is easier to just fabricate a bulge in the bonnet then so be it.

DSCF1082-1.jpg?t=1271523059

plenty of room either side, more than i had bargained for hence the tight ramshorn turbo manifold

This build is coming along quickly, good work! And the saab engine is certainly interesting, the swedes manage to get pretty big reliable horsepower out of them motors :thumbup

Whats the torque rating of the omega box? Is it a hydraulic clutch job? most bmw boxes will be hydraulic. maybe a strengthened type 9 and off the shelf bell housing adapter would be an option? it mat surprise you what it can handle, could just be a question of how long it will take it for depending how it gets driven! :D

Great! I love plug and play gearboxes :lol: this saab engine swap is starting to sound interesting, and they must be cheaper than an LET :blink:

A few guys on Migweb are doing/done turbo conversions using the Saab Turbo motor. I've seen prices as low as £350 for a Saab turbo engine. :o

A few guys on Migweb are doing/done turbo conversions using the Saab Turbo motor. I've seen prices as low as £350 for a Saab turbo engine. ohmy.gif

yeah still abundant, well 2ltr ones are finding a 2.3 is a bit harder but price wise compared to LETs and tuning them, no brainer

yeah still abundant, well 2ltr ones are finding a 2.3 is a bit harder but price wise compared to LETs and tuning them, no brainer

Are the internals of the Saab engines as good as everyone says (i.e. decent crank, rods, pistons, etc, etc) ?

to update, have positioned the engine now where i want it, or should i say where it will fit. a lot further back than i had anticipated, but this is good for weight distribution, but some serious thoguht and work will need to go into the sump design, as i dont wish to go down the dry sump route for expense sake.

no pics im afraid, butt he mounty are welded up and in primer

one thing i will defiantely ahve to do is bulge the bonnet, angry.gif