Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

no pics again sorry!!

but i have now sorted the steering pretty much, have ditched the manta column in favour of a corsa manual one, as it has 2 stalks! as oposed to the lonely manta one, as im updating the wiring with a new loom and dash etc, also like the idea of some billet TVR style stalks. the corsa one bolts straight in ont he two upper mounts, need to make a bracket for the lower one, only problem i had was the extra universal joint needed supporting, solution........ bit of old trolley jack handle to extend the joint and v6 veccy stub driveshaft support bearing, had to sleeve the bearing a few times as the steering shaft was a lot smaller than the bearing opening, aslo has two bolt lugs for fixing to the bulkead. but really happy with that outcome, cheers olly for doanting the bearing.

today popped down unit after work to drop some stuff off, decided to have a bash at the TIG, ended up welding the inlet manifold end cap, i think i will get to grips with some decent welding quicker than i thought, not too bad once you get a 'fee'l for it.

another addition to the unit soon

BtHWigBWkKGrHqEH-DkEvDwHEmPOBL6HLpS.jpg?t=1274135291

some goodies arriving...

fitting the corsa column allows me to use some of these

BmFK7wCGkKGrHqQOKkQEtlw9F-FVBLeUjv4.jpg?t=1274135835

will be made to fit, golf mk1 cystal headlights

Bjh0C2QBGkKGrHqUH-DcEtCLlCVBLT4Uf5_.jpg?t=1274135879

also on the lsit for the future

OD2023.jpg?t=1274135944

decided on the dash situation too, seeing as i have some racetech gauges, will be saving the pennies for matching speedo and tach, mate them all in a matt black panel will look sweet i reckon

• 1 month later...

Re: project A series

101_0441.jpg

101_0440.jpg

have tig'd up the inlet manifold now

half the new bulkhead is complete for the new corsa brake servo and landrover clutch master, need to make pedal bracket and clevis pin for clutch still and sort an accelerator pedal, easy with an old corsa i robbed off ollies shed.

also on list is a heater and blower, needs to be slimline etc,nova, polo?

irmscher- if you read back rear end is bmw e30, coilover units will be employed front and back, before i order though need definate measurements on their open and closed lengths, fronts also coilover units, but may be just cut down springs for now, see how funds go, may even find some other marque setup adequate

• 2 weeks later...

few pics of what ive been up to, not a lot in all honesty but something at least...

decided i wasnt happy with the streering situation i have made so a rethink,found a spherical bearing from an old gear shifteri made up for the old novaproject, cut off the old universal joint i had made, here re-drilling the shaft for a locating pin prior to welding up

DSCF1384.jpg?t=1278283347

bit of crap tig welding to cast ally for the thermostat outlet, really bad but functional all the same

DSCF1383.jpg?t=1278283347

trans tunnel taking shape

DSCF1382.jpg?t=1278283347

other side

DSCF1381.jpg?t=1278283347

bit more

DSCF1387.jpg?t=1278283347

joint sort ofin place, need to suss out what im really going tio do here, neatest option etc.

DSCF1386.jpg?t=1278283347

DSCF1385.jpg?t=1278283347

picked up a few bits from billing over the weekend, also some good info on things i WILL need to sort for the build

sorted a deep dish steering wheel

got a bargain on another set of screens £5 each!!

bullet chrome retro stylee wing mirrors

3 sets of headlights from the dutch guys m&m drontem, but we both couldnt figure out what they were from lo, so sorted a good deal, will make use of them im sure

another intercooler £10 bargain,

chatting to the guys on the retropower stand, im certain i will be fabricating a basic cage to hold the shell together and tie the rear drive train into, as one of their customers kaddett NEEDED it with similar enguine build to mine, it has been on my mind after chatting with jamied a while back when he came up the unit, its just trying to make it work without taking the STOCKinterior look away

variuos tools etc as always at any show

Edited by novashed

• 1 month later...

few pics of some work thats been going on, ran out memory ont he camera as forgot to put a SD card in doh!

DSCF1595.jpg?t=1283203074

repair to otherside corner, no more rot on the front at all now!

DSCF1592.jpg?t=1283203074

DSCF1593.jpg?t=1283203074

diff mount now made, right mix of bits here, bmw e30 original bracket cut from subframe, ive welded a bar to it then used some nova tie bar poly bushes sanded down to fit in some tube i cut from my trolley jack handle lol!, piece of bar to add a bit torsinal strength to the structure too. got a rear hanger to make now, i have a pair on nova rear beam poly bushes which will make an excellent bush for a rear hanger

i have completed the trans tunnel too

also the hydraulic clutch mechanism is complete and im very pleased with it!

accelerator pedal and cable are now sorted

some head scrathing now for the oil filter housing as it will hit the subframe so some well thought out fab work will need to be the order of the day there

Edited by novashed

had a bit of a confusing day on the manta sat.

had a start at the oil system side of things, the saab fwd sump obviously wont be no good, so set about cutting up and looking a fabricatign a bowl from ally, i made the bowl to hold about 4-5 litres of oil, after looking at up against the block in place in the bay its not going to work, well with lots of complication, WHICH I DONT WANT. also the oil filter hosuing and cooler pipe take-off hit the engine mount and the subframe! i had a go at cutting the housing down and some thoughts of fitler relocation, but in the end im nit happy!

so, thinking tonight. im going to re-do the engine mounts to allow some space for the take-off, also raise the engine say 8-10mm and have a larger bulge in the bonnet, compromise i know. with the sump situation it allows more room but still a touch complicated. im going to notch the subframe too, to aloow the oil filter to spin on, this will all be easier than doing other mods which could upset the engine reliability

really need pics i know

righty few pics, engine mounts mk2 coming along nicely, raised the engine slightly and totally redesigned the mounts to allow starter to fit easily, oil filter to locate on the stock saab takeoff and aid sump clearance

Pics of what pauls been up to

IMG00145-20100911-1751.jpg

IMG00146-20100911-1751.jpg

IMG00147-20100911-1752.jpg

clutch pedal mechanisn all home grown

IMG00148-20100911-1753.jpg

billet allow shifter shaft

IMG00149-20100911-1755.jpg

• 1 month later...

well the new runaround is at base, needs some bits sorting before going MOT, been spending as much time as i can on her.

i need another set of manta 6 dial clocks, and sort all wiring there

ive ordered a seal kit for the brembo alfa 75 calipers as one is leaking

got a small patch to weld underneath

that should hopefully see a ticket

then phase 2

-is sort the vinyl roof (prob scrap it and paint it satin black, as it looks a bit shonky

-lay in new headlining

-sort some period seats

-give it a cut and polish

-enjoy

18102010089.jpg?t=1287436293

10102010081.jpg?t=1287436658

ive found differing info on the wiring, hence i think ive stuffed the volt meter. ive sourced a volt stabiliser and some spare gauges , i got the rev counter working but not in a way it should be lol.

also managed to source some mk1 astra gte seats in charcoal, a lot slimmer than the mk4 ones (which wont be going to waste as my little brother wants em)

so hopefully this weekend should see a big chunk of the work done, fingers crossed

more progress on cav today.

stayed up unit till gone 8, bloody cold!

managed to get hold of a seal kit for the brembo calipers, so off came the drivers side caliper, which has been refurbed and looked clean as a whistlke, but seeing as its been sat for a while has obviously doen the seal on that one no good and caused it to leak. didnt take long to renew, back on and bled, the car even has goodridge stainless brake lines.

sorted most of the dash wiring now, just left to do is the oil pressure gauge andthe stereo.

sorted the washer jets out.

next on the agenda is the blower heater system, its had a custom one done buts nowhwere near factory standard quality!

Edited by novashed

Cant remember if the oil pressure sender is fitted or not, if not it goes on the back of the oil pump, there is a allen key blank in a hole facing rearwards. The standard Manta twin contact one fits. Should be one either on it or in the boot. Did you find any seat belt covers? I have a pair for you if not.

Glad you got the brakes sorted, glad your getting there with it :thumbup

Looking forward to seeing this done, shame I didnt do it but work, time and everything else conspired against me :rolleyes:

Edited by Mick

bit of a ****ter today, had to pop up the unit to sort the e46 knocking and check out a sticky caliper, couldnt resist have a little check on the cav, tried the 'fixed' brakes and......................pedal sank to the floor, i had a solid system when i leftlast night, but its been in vein as it seems the caliper is shot, when cleaning it out i found some small balls of metal, which must have damaged the leaking piston as its pissing fluid out again! doh! so veccy calipers it looks like will be going on or another alfa 75 brembo one if i can find a good one.

mick, the pressure sensor is there ihave ran an extra wire to run the gauage but it seems not to work.

im sure i found seatbelt cover in the boot

The oil pressure light wire and the gauge are 2 separate ones. If the gauge goes straight to max its working but not conneted, earth the wire it should sit at zero but off the rest position. if it doesnt do anything it isnt getting a feed.

Sorry to hear about the brakes, Typical Alfa then, break for no reason!! :blink:

yeah, i should know better than floggin a dead horse with the brakes, stick to what i know, oh well.

the oil gauge, ok it is working it goes off the scale so is getting a feed ok, yeah ive tried both wires connected to either pin, i get a light with one whilst the engine is running but cant be right? well i hope not

It will go off the scale if its not getting a reading, maybe a duff sender or wire not working. Should be easy enough to find which, with ign on engine off earth the wire out and you should get a zero reading rather than off the scale. The one to the light should be earthed with the engine off to make the circuit, when you start this will out. If the light is on then I think the wires are the wrong way round or again a duff sender, I have no idea which engine it came off so cant say if it works, try the earthing thing first..

• 2 months later...

cheers for the words of encouragement means a lot,

cheers ol, heres some pics of said bonnet, also today managed to figure out the rear end setup, going to rosejoint to make things easier to adjust and any out measurements can be dialled out this way more pics of that when i get to it and suss out final layout etc

029-1.jpg?t=1295806291

028-1.jpg?t=1295806291

031-1.jpg?t=1295806291