Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

She'd is complete, door on, all insulated, security taken care of, well best a timber she'd is ever goin to be anyway.

Got a little time left to start actually doing something on the A. Started stripping the from subframe for blasting

5472B222-D7AE-4ED6-A5B9-06DF0AAA8373_zps

Also this where the myford will live with linesher next to it, can't wait!

FB5E7B67-9194-4B31-B034-5AA77F13A4E5_zps

You need to find someone with a press to get them out, and ensure the edge of the arm around the base of the ball joint is fully supported as there pressed out, then as per all instructions in the good old Haynes manual, assembly is the reverse process.

I did think as much, would involve pressing, could be another purchase, bench top press!?

Which of the b series bushes if any fit the A front end? I'm going to weld in b series inner arm bushes, as per Paul's old V8. I seem to recall the rollbar end bushes being hard to source?

Edited by novashed

I have fitted the poly bushes for a B, where the sub frame bolts to the chassis. Don't think any others fit. Last time I looked for the roll bar to front arm bushes they were only available from Dr Manta and were 100 quid each. Could also try Opel GT source in the USA I sourced a complete car set of their poly bushes a few years back, makes for a firm ride. Look forward to your progress.

Just went back to the start of this thread. Are you still planning to go with the Saab engine or have you got other plans. Do like the wheels you showed at the start, can't decide what rims to get for mine. Be interested to see what you come up with for the bushes Paul.

I did think as much, would involve pressing, could be another purchase, bench top press!?

Which of the b series bushes if any fit the A front end? I'm going to weld in b series inner arm bushes, as per Paul's old V8. I seem to recall the rollbar end bushes being hard to source?

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/32774-mantaascona-b-poly-bushes-kits-with-club-discount/?hl=bushes

If you have a look through the link it sounds like alot of the B series bushes fit. When i stripped down the front cross member on the A i dropped the parts into some rust killer ,when all the rust was gone the ball joints pressed out easy :)

All settled in the new workshop now.

Unfortunately I'm really not happy with a lot if the work I've done for the trans tunnel and the rear drive train. So some serious consideration is bein given to totally cutting out the floor plan and creating a ladder type chassis and incorporating a jag irs rear end, we will see..... How brave I'm feeling.

i know what you mean on redoing the work! i am always second guessing myself too, but a jag rear might not be the best option as to narrow it that much can really screw up the geometry, i have a mazda mx-5 rear sitting here to fit in my a series and i am trying to work out narrowing it 7 inches to get it under the car without screwing it all up, i narrowed a c4 vette rear to go under my 67 nova and the ride was never right after due to excessive camber gain etc, work on somethin else then go back to it again later to see if you really want to go thru it again,

Wish I had settled on a 5 link now or the original Volvo 240 setup I was intending on.

Mike- I haven't worked in it for 2 years now, hence making some major decisions

Anyway been playing with the myford for a couple hours, ancient new handbrake handle-

1A151EE1-35E4-43A0-8DB0-3E5EB2181157_zps

Edited by novashed
  • Like 3

Cheers tony, I think we discussed that before, or I have with someone, It's the diff I'm worried Bout mostly, but saying that, nothing stopping me adapting the m5 one I already have... Hhhhmmm

I do appreciate all the input guys as you can get so set on one idea sometimes

the diff on the 94 on mx-5 is a torsen posi unit, easily put 350hp thru it, i hope to be putting down 260 rwhp with my 1.6 mx-5 motor and td04 turbo system, and these are proven diffs, but would have to be narrowed, 60" track width!

Edited by x-pat mike

picked up the front end today from the blasters, came out ok, had to tell them give them another go over as they rushed it by the looks of it!, all good now, ready for a lick of primer to keep out the tinworm, will get cracking making the strengthening plates this weekend, them sort out the mig setup over next week,(needs a service and some gas sorting)

6932BE82-CC3D-4527-818D-ACC0BA8A6E94_zps

• Like 1