Which Spark Plugs For 1974 A?

MickB

Very simple question from a novice! Just got the car and need to change the plugs as it is only firing on 3. Originally told it would take plugs WR7BC (Bosch) but when I enquired for them from the supplier he said they would not be suitable. Another company suggested BPR6HS (NGK). Unfortunately the ones in the car now have no reference/manufacturers name on them that is coming up anywhere. Can someone help please?

Many thanks

Mick

It depends on whether it has a 1600 or 1900 engine as I think the 1600 needs a longer thread.

I have 4 of NOS NGK BPR6ES on the shelf and these would have been for the 1900 engine.

It might just be the plugs, but prepare yourself for new leads, cap, points, head rebuild :blink: , etc.

Let me know if you get stuck. MK.

The Haynes manual lists the Bosch W200 T 35 for the 19s and this website's comparison table shows the BRPR6ES as being an equivalent.

It depends on whether it has a 1600 or 1900 engine as I think the 1600 needs a longer thread.

I have 4 of NOS NGK BPR6ES on the shelf and these would have been for the 1900 engine.

It might just be the plugs, but prepare yourself for new leads, cap, points, head rebuild blink.gif , etc.

Let me know if you get stuck. MK.

The Haynes manual lists the Bosch W200 T 35 for the 19s and this website's comparison table shows the BRPR6ES as being an equivalent.

Many thanks for this and I should have said it was a 1900 engine. I note from your signature you have 'a loft full of spares', you haven't got any for the '74 A have you? Air filter unit for one?

Mick

I have recently changed from Solex to Weber on the 1900SR, so there is a spare air filter housing floating around.

It was repainted a few years back and could do with the top repainting or better still powder coating.

Yours for £15.

AirSponge.jpg">My link

I have recently changed from Solex to Weber on the 1900SR, so there is a spare air filter housing floating around.

It was repainted a few years back and could do with the top repainting or better still powder coating.

Yours for £15.

Great...just to be sure as I am a slight novice, will it fit in the position of the 'sponge' unit as shown in the picture? Will it need any mods? If OK I'll have it, let me know where and how to send the money.

Don't suppose you've got a front & rear chrome bumper, right & left wing mirrors (originally placed on the front wings) and a stereo housing up there as well!!????

Many thanks

Mick

Nice installation "Powered by Scotch-Brite" :D

At a guess it looks like the remains of a K&N filter sat on top of a Weber DGV carb.

If this is the case your options will be:

1. Bolt on a K&N filter which cost around £40, look pretty, do the job but make a lot of induction noise

2. Get a Weber adapter and fit the original type housing which will look original and be quieter but can sometimes have issues with bonnet clearance

3. Source an original Solex carb and filter which aren't too bad when new but 40 years on are hell in my opinion

Payment can be by PayPal for any bits.

No bumpers left but I did find a curious link yesterday which I will post seperately so we stay on topic.

Nice installation "Powered by Scotch-Brite" biggrin.gif

At a guess it looks like the remains of a K&N filter sat on top of a Weber DGV carb.

If this is the case your options will be:

1. Bolt on a K&N filter which cost around £40, look pretty, do the job but make a lot of induction noise

2. Get a Weber adapter and fit the original type housing which will look original and be quieter but can sometimes have issues with bonnet clearance

3. Source an original Solex carb and filter which aren't too bad when new but 40 years on are hell in my opinion

Payment can be by PayPal for any bits.

No bumpers left but I did find a curious link yesterday which I will post seperately so we stay on topic.

Many thanks for your suggestions on this. I will probably try and do no.1, as long as I can find the right filter. Have looked on the K&N website but slightly confused. Look forward to your 'curious link'.

Mick