Rear Trailing Arm Rubber Bushes Wanted

5102 IA

Hi,

Long story, but I have both the forward and rear pairs of trailing arm Superflex polybushes, but require the original rubber type.

I've cut some trailing arms up to make engine and 'box mounts and had to use polybushes as these were the only ones I could find new, but these are proving too hard.

I'm looking for a set of new, old stock rubber bushes (the larger diameter one)or any info on a similar bush from another make and model

Many thanks,

Ian

Edited by 5102 IA

I've managed to find some of the smaller diameter bushes new, but still need the larger diameter ones (new, old stock) as I'm using these as engine mounts and need the rubber to still be soft.

Nearly lost my teeth on the cars first outing to Houghton Tower today - polyurethane engine mounts and solid alloy cross member mounts are just too hardcore!

Ian

Edited by 5102 IA

ive got 2 spare rear trailing arms , my intension was to fit them with the poly bushes and put them on my car .

the standard bushes in them are in ok condition . not new , but a long way from being worn out .

im not sure how they would fair being pressed out then back in again .

so i was thinking , i could send you the arms with the bushes fitted .

and id quite like to get my hands on the poly ones you got .

can we work somthing out ?

failing that can i buy your poly bushes all the same ?

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the offer. I've got the original bushes that I pressed out, however, and to be fair they're in good MOTable nick for suspension, but the centres have got a little hard over time.

I'll be trying these used ones though if I dont have any success trying to get hold of some new supple ones by the weekend.

I've even tried cross referencing aginst other makes and models, but with no success. I'm wondering if Opel GT bushes may be the same, as these are still available through Opel GT Source, but I can't cross reference the Superflex number on their site, as they dont list the Opel GT!

I'll keep you posted on the poly bushes.

Ian

Edited by 5102 IA

Well, I've fitted my old rubber bushes whilst the hunt continues for new ones, but the rubber is so old and hard, its made little difference.

Unfortunately the larger diameter pair of poly bushes put up a fight, so they didn't survive removal! As for the smaller diameter poly bushes, I'm going to need the 18mm dia sleeve from these as Ive spotted some rubber bushes of unknown origin on e-bay that may do the job, but will need these sleeves, so nothing saleable or swapable left I'm afraid.

I'm still looking for the larger diameter bush though, if anyone can help source a pair of new ones.

Cheers,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

The rear bush is the same as the GT, but I think the front is unique to the Manta.

OCP have 41 of the rear one left - part number is 4 23 303.

The front (4 30 038) is more difficult. There's a chap in Germany who looks like he's repro'ed them and claims 1620 in stock! If you'd like his contact details just PM me or email (email address on the inside cover of the mag).

Cheers,

NIck

Many thanks for the info Nick. OCP completely slipped my mind.... but they're saved in my faourite sites now!

Typically, the larger bushes I'm after are the front ones.

OCP are listing the 4 30 038 front bushes, so I've completed an order/enquiry, but from your post above I'm thinking that they may not have stock.

I'll wait to hear back from OCP, but if this turns up a blank I'll drop you a mail for contact details to enquire about the repro ones.

Thanks again Nick

Many thanks for the info Nick. OCP completely slipped my mind.... but they're saved in my faourite sites now!

Typically, the larger bushes I'm after are the front ones.

OCP are listing the 4 30 038 front bushes, so I've completed an order/enquiry, but from your post above I'm thinking that they may not have stock.

I'll wait to hear back from OCP, but if this turns up a blank I'll drop you a mail for contact details to enquire about the repro ones.

Thanks again Nick

....and things were going so well!

Well, it looks like OCP have the front bushes.... just the small matter of payment. They dont take credit card, paypal or the like, just bank transfer. Hmmm. I had a go at this online, but it looks like my bank will only do this within the UK, so back to square one..... or a trip to OCP with some cash in my pocket perhaps!

Edited by 5102 IA

I thought if you rang OCP they took your credit card details, I have bought of them several times, though not lately and I'm sure I paid with credit card

I've not spoken to them directly, just through e-mails, but I did ask "which payment methods are available: Credit Card, Paypal etc" and was advised by return "We do not have credit or paypal only bank transfer"

I did attempt a transfer, but their account number was too long to fit in my on-line field... not to mention the lack of sort code!

I imagine that I'd probably have the same problem with Nick's other contact in Germany with the re-pro bushes too.

Looks like I'll have to hang on till the Netherlands trip next September if the car doesn't shake itself to pieces in the meantime.

I would never have used the arms if I'd known that these bushes were such a problem to source in the UK.

It pains me, but its looking like a re-design of the engine mounts is on the cards here and some Ford parts might have to make an appearance!

Ian

Edited by 5102 IA

Ian;

Bought some bits of OCP earlier this year and paid via credit card without any problems.

Drop Andy Clears a mail and ask Andy if he can put them on his next OCP order for you.

As to paying direct into there account, you cannot pay them online like you would do say someone else in the UK you will neeed to go into your Bank and fill out a form, as you will need the IBAN and BIC codes as well as the Bank address etc etc.

Hope the above helps.

John

Ian;

Bought some bits of OCP earlier this year and paid via credit card without any problems.

Drop Andy Clears a mail and ask Andy if he can put them on his next OCP order for you.

As to paying direct into there account, you cannot pay them online like you would do say someone else in the UK you will neeed to go into your Bank and fill out a form, as you will need the IBAN and BIC codes as well as the Bank address etc etc.

Hope the above helps.

John

Hmmm, the credit card thing seems a little odd then from everyone elses experience of OCP.

I dont know Andy, so don't like to bother him with a shopping list.

I have OCP's bank details though, so I'll try and get to a bank when work allows - it's got to be the easier option than fabricating more mounts and with my luck, I'd pick some more obsolete parts!

Many thanks to everyone for their help with this.

Ian

They certainly used to take credit cards, but they're making a lot of changes in the way they do business so it's entirely possible they don't take them anymore.

Andy actually makes regular OCP orders as a service, so you'd not be imposing on him. He works with a chap in Holland who drives down to OCP every week or so with an aggregate order from Andy and the chap's other customers. You'd probably have to wait a few weeks to get the parts (they get ordered, collected, driven back to Holland and then sent over to Andy), but you can pay Andy in pounds and he'll do the rest. He's got his own parts topic on the site here, "Parts Locator - Ask Andy".

Cheers,

Nick