Redtop Brake Set Up

jasonpirtek

Do you mean one of those universal brake bias boxes that bolts into the engine bay in place of the servo?

If so i don't think there is clearance.

When i made my bias pedalbox i looked at making a copy of one of those boxes and there wasn't room for it and my bikecarb setup

So i made mine much more compact and have the cylinders about 1 inch infront of the bulkhead.

It did mean modifying the brake pedal to add the bias adjuster and enlarging the hole in the bulkhead to give clearance for the 2 rods of the cylinders.

But it gives loads of room for the bikecarbs :thumbup

Bike carbs sit at a higher angle than 45's etc which allows them to be fitted with a standard servo, so fitting a coupe of master cylinders is no problem. Not sure on the bias box you are thinking of but with bike carbs on a blogg bros manifold there is loads of room. Get a proper manta bias box and you will have no problem

mail TJM on here or vxopel.com

Tim knows the Vxopels inside out and will sort you with a pedal box like this

http://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=PB02

Edited by Robbie

The universal bias boxes look like this, and take up a load of room in the engine bay

RD3636.jpg

I'll get a picture of mine tomorrow if i remember unsure.gif

Thats big David, its the height that hammers the normal servo needing a slice out of the servo with 40's etc or the bike carbs clear. That brake bias servo looks like it takes a ball of room as well, I'd give it a miss and go for the proper one I posted the link to before on TJM's site. How much is the universal onw by the way.

Thats big David, its the height that hammers the normal servo needing a slice out of the servo with 40's etc or the bike carbs clear. That brake bias servo looks like it takes a ball of room as well, I'd give it a miss and go for the proper one I posted the link to before on TJM's site. How much is the universal onw by the way.

it is the box rally design sell think its £130 seamed an easy option,but it does look quite big so need to make sure i will try tjm also.

Ok found a pic of my pedalbox that i took when fitting it, well the engine bay side of it at least.

Its a very basic thing really, its about a 30mm thick box which i made up,

On the front it has studs coming out either side of 2 large holes, which the master cylinders bolt to

the rear has 4 studs in the same pattern as the back of the standard servo, so it bolts to the bulkhead

where the original hole in the bulkhead was i extended it sideways both ways for clearance for the rods

The brake pedal had the bias bar tube welded to it just above where the standard rod attaches

i did have to trim away the side of the original pedalbox slightly to clear the assembly on the pedal

but i added an extra bar back in to replace the strength

biasbox.jpg

I had a slightly easier time than i was expecting as i borrowed my mates manta bulkhead piece he cut out of an old scrap car

Its just the area that the pedalbox attaches to, but meant i could look at it and try things without lying upside down in the footwell :thumbup

I did it this way for several reasons,

1: The universal boxes take up too much room

2: I didn't want the cylinders or resevoirs in the car (its a rally car and service-ability if something goes wrong is very useful)

3: Down the line i'm planning on fitting electric power steering and want to keep the space under the dash empty

Oh and i'm tight and prefer making things than buying them B)

Ok found a pic of my pedalbox that i took when fitting it, well the engine bay side of it at least.

Its a very basic thing really, its about a 30mm thick box which i made up,

On the front it has studs coming out either side of 2 large holes, which the master cylinders bolt to

the rear has 4 studs in the same pattern as the back of the standard servo, so it bolts to the bulkhead

where the original hole in the bulkhead was i extended it sideways both ways for clearance for the rods

The brake pedal had the bias bar tube welded to it just above where the standard rod attaches

i did have to trim away the side of the original pedalbox slightly to clear the assembly on the pedal

but i added an extra bar back in to replace the strength

biasbox.jpg

I had a slightly easier time than i was expecting as i borrowed my mates manta bulkhead piece he cut out of an old scrap car

Its just the area that the pedalbox attaches to, but meant i could look at it and try things without lying upside down in the footwell :thumbup

I did it this way for several reasons,

1: The universal boxes take up too much room

2: I didn't want the cylinders or resevoirs in the car (its a rally car and service-ability if something goes wrong is very useful)

3: Down the line i'm planning on fitting electric power steering and want to keep the space under the dash empty

Oh and i'm tight and prefer making things than buying them B)

thanks for pic it gives me some ideas, i been building well trying for two years, i don't think the universal box will work. might need to pick your brains again. cheers jason.