Ascona (1900), Manta From The U.s

ghcoe

I just stumbled upon this site while doing some engine research for my 1975 "1900". I believe it is known as a Ascona in England. I also bought my son a 1974 Manta this summer for us to fix up. He will be driving next summer. I bought my first Manta in 1987 and drove/owned them for 10 years. I regretted selling my last Manta and finally decided to buy another Opel. I ran upon a 1975 1900 (Ascona) while searching for a Manta and decided to pick it up instead. 2 dr. Asconas are getting hard to find here in the states.

1975 Opels were the last ones imported to the US as a true Opel and was the only year with the Bosch fuel injection. They also had larger front brakes. We have a forum here in the states that I belong to as well, but figure you can never have enough Opel friends. Especially if you may need a part or something.

I am now going in on a Opel Kadett B 1.1 wagon that we are going to fix up for resale. 3 Opels in one year! Now we are talking.

1974 Manta http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

1975 Ascona fuel injection http://www.flickr.co...250584/sizes/l/

1975 Ascona http://www.flickr.co...489299/sizes/l/

hello and welcome

looks like your going to be busy thumbsup.gif

Luckly I can do most things myself. Already breathed life back into the Ascona and now it is a daily driver. The Manta is pretty complete and not much rust. The people I bought it from thought it had a bad rod. Turned out to be a bolt backing out of the torque converter and hitting the block. Now I just have to fix a transmission leak as soon as I can figure where it is coming from. Thinking it is a dipstick tube o-ring that is bad.

George.

Welcome to the Club, seeing that snow I was wondering what part of the U S you are, that's if that is a recent photo

Julian.

The picture was taken by the previous owner to add to the for sale ad. It was taken in Idaho Falls, Idaho. I live in Boise, Idaho which is in the Pacific Northwest part of the U.S.A. I had to drive 482 kilometers one way to pick this one up. I had to drive 965 kilometers one way to pick up my Ascona. We get some snow here, but usually it does not stay long. Idaho Falls can get quite a bit of snow and it stays on the ground for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there and welcome. Thats a nice collection of photos you have there. Looks like you had a nice time on the off roading trip. Good luck with the 1900s and the Manta. Does the Kadett B wagon have the factory roof rack still fitted? Have you ever seen a 1900 wagon (Ascona) with the fake wood vinyl side panels. Ive only seen pictures and wondered if they were popular or just seen in the brochures

Hi there, ive just registered on your U.S opel GT forum and i was talking to you on there the otherday ('69 rekord c coupe), i cant believe how big old opels are over there, the black manta looks sweet i'd lova a manta A and your ascona is nice dont think ive ever seen that model before, did you get those wheels with it!? ive been after a set of Vectors with opel fitment! Dukes of hazzard wheels! yee haa!!! thumbsup.gif

Hi there and welcome. Thats a nice collection of photos you have there. Looks like you had a nice time on the off roading trip. Good luck with the 1900s and the Manta. Does the Kadett B wagon have the factory roof rack still fitted? Have you ever seen a 1900 wagon (Ascona) with the fake wood vinyl side panels. Ive only seen pictures and wondered if they were popular or just seen in the brochures

Thanks,

Yes the off roading in my area is great. Lots of open country to go and get lost in. I have been on some trips where we do not see anyone else for days.

The kadett B still has the rack. I was told it was in good shape. We are still trying to get the sale so I have not seen it yet.

Cannot say that I remember seeing a wagon with the wood grain siding. Might have been popular back in the 70's when I realy did not pay much attention to cars. Only got interested in the mid 80's when I began to drive and by then there probably was not many Ascona wagons running around. They were called "Sport Wagons" here in the States. They are more common than the 2dr Ascona here. Even in the 80's, when I started driving, Opels were not all that common around here.

Hi there, ive just registered on your U.S opel GT forum and i was talking to you on there the otherday ('69 rekord c coupe), i cant believe how big old opels are over there, the black manta looks sweet i'd lova a manta A and your ascona is nice dont think ive ever seen that model before, did you get those wheels with it!? ive been after a set of Vectors with opel fitment! Dukes of hazzard wheels! yee haa!!! thumbsup.gif

The Ascona is a "A". Basically the same car as a "Manta". Everything will interchange except most body panels. This Ascona may look different to you because it has the large front and rear bumpers that were required for U.S. regulation. A friend gave me the wheels. He got them with a Opel GT that he bought a few years back. They were in pretty bad shape when I got them. I was able to polish them back up with some fine grit sand paper and then I repainted the blacked out areas. Really came out quite nice. Now he looks at them and cannot believe I got them to look that good. I think he wishes he had done that.

Cool that you sought me out. I usually try and keep the same user name so people know who I am and I do not get confused on which site, what name, thing.

Hi George,

Very nice 2 door ascona I would just have to fit it with a Rover V8 (Buick 215ci to you) if it was mine!

Here's one I finished earlier.

Engine01.jpg

Paul.

Looks nice. I like the way you moved the brake booster to the front. I am not too into V-8 conversions because usually they turn the car into a dart. I enjoy driving Opels because of there good handling.

George.

• 2 weeks later...

George, The Buick 215ci weighs less than the Opel 4 cylinder as the block and heads are Aluminium so handling is not affected.

Paul.

Now there is a good reason to fit a V8. Would that reasoning wash with the wife? Wonder if I could push the enviromental angle i.e if its lighter then its got to be more efficiant. May be worth a try. Appologies for the spelling, its late

Thanks,

Yes the off roading in my area is great. Lots of open country to go and get lost in. I have been on some trips where we do not see anyone else for days.

The kadett B still has the rack. I was told it was in good shape. We are still trying to get the sale so I have not seen it yet.

Cannot say that I remember seeing a wagon with the wood grain siding. Might have been popular back in the 70's when I realy did not pay much attention to cars. Only got interested in the mid 80's when I began to drive and by then there probably was not many Ascona wagons running around. They were called "Sport Wagons" here in the States. They are more common than the 2dr Ascona here. Even in the 80's, when I started driving, Opels were not all that common around here.

The Opels werent popular around here either. We had a main dealer in Sheffieds (Turret Motors) but I thnk that they were expensive due to import tax that got stuck on them The estate or wagons were known as Ascona Voyger (will check spelling) and I think I have only seen 1. My Uncle used to have an Ascona A Lux in orange with black roof with metal sunroof. There were some very nice Kadett B at Techno Classica in Essen earlier this year including a mint wagon in silver/grey. good luck with the projects mate

Edited by nicgm

Now there is a good reason to fit a V8. Would that reasoning wash with the wife? Wonder if I could push the enviromental angle i.e if its lighter then its got to be more efficiant. May be worth a try. Appologies for the spelling, its late

The Opels werent popular around here either. We had a main dealer in Sheffieds (Turret Motors) but I thnk that they were expensive due to import tax that got stuck on them The estate or wagons were known as Ascona Voyger (will check spelling) and I think I have only seen 1. My Uncle used to have an Ascona A Lux in orange with black roof with metal sunroof. There were some very nice Kadett B at Techno Classica in Essen earlier this year including a mint wagon in silver/grey. good luck with the projects mate

Thanks, Thought I would post a picture of the wagon. A friend and I purchased it to fix up and resell but my wife fell in love with it so I guess I have another Opel in the family. This shot is when we just got it. Did not have a chance to clean it up yet.4120391961_2ff5479c46_b.jpg